Chromaticraft: The Ultimate Guide to Prismatic Arcana (+ Review)

Jul 29, 2019
Disclaimer: All this information pertains to Chromaticraft v22d. The mod is still in active development, and things may change so keep this in mind.

Introduction
Chromaticraft (CC) is an intriguing magic mod for Minecraft 1.7.10, developed and created by ReikaKalseki, who also developed mods such as RotaryCraft, ReactorCraft, and VoidMonster. CC focuses on what can only be described as rainbow crystal light magic, where you harness the power of 16 different elements to perform magical rituals. Unlike most magic mods, Chromaticraft manages to create a sense of intrigue through its emphasis on exploration and personal discovery. The mechanics are extremely unique and creative with absolutely stunning visuals to go with it (seriously, some of the stuff makes you wonder how it's even in Minecraft).While the mod is on an older version, it is definitely worth going back for.

[!!!] Spoiler Warning! [!!!]
This guide will be full of spoilers of content the mod adds. Chromaticraft is one of the only mods where spoilers actually matter because discovering everything is part of the amazing experience. It's a lot more fun to figure things out on your own, but it's understandable if you're absolutely lost and need proper documentation to enjoy a mod. For the most part, CC is good at introducing a mysterious object then explaining its purpose later. I'll keep the larger discoveries in a separate spoiler, but if you like figuring out things on your own you really shouldn't need this guide as the progression . Feel free to refer to the items & blocks in the guide and try to use your creative thinking skills and you'll get through the mod just fine. :)

Index
Your First Steps:
i.) Modpack Set-up
I) Getting Started
II) Basic Progression
III) Exploring the World
IV) Basic Casting​

Your First Steps
Modpack Set-up
If you're making your own modpack, there are a few cross-mod interactions and options within CC that you need to be aware of. Thankfully, CC has a neat configuration file that allows for basic configuration.
  1. If you add mods with unique biome generation, be prepared to go a bit further to search for resources as Chromaticraft has quite a few biome-exclusive ones. Thankfully, CC is compatible with most larger biome mods (Biomes O' Plenty, ExtraBiomeXL, etc) but you will likely need to increase the biome weights of the Rainbow Forest, Ender Forest, and Luminous Cliffs biomes substantially with more mods as the first two are necessary for progression, and the third one's just plain cool. Note that if you are using Biomes O' Plenty and using the BIOMESOP world generation type, a bug will make the Cliffs biome stupidly rare (the closest one for me was 18k blocks away from my base in my run), so be sure to jack up the weight a bunch. With BoP, I would recommend a weight of around 12~15 for the first two, with the Cliffs weight being your choice. Chromaticraft is fully incompatible with large world-gen changers like BiomeBundle as the needed resource won't generate, so make sure your mods are compatible with CC's worldgen. ATG and RTG work though,
  2. Chromaticraft is an expansive and frankly overpowered mod in comparison to most other mods, and it's hard to adjust the mod's balance due to the developer's stance on modpack changes for his mods. I would make Reika's Mods, being Rotarycraft, Electricraft, Reactorcraft, and Chromaticraft the main focuses of the pack, but you're welcome to add other content mods if you wish. Just be aware that CC will overshadow a lot of other items and blocks from other mods.
  3. CC has a lot of cross-mod integration: new, strong bee stuff for Forestry, upgrades to your AE2 system, CC features to your Mystcraft worlds, and additional benefits to the Twilight Forest allow for a more connected playthrough. However, in Thaumcraft's case, the items it adds completely break the mod: extremely strong wands, infinite essentias of all types with little effort, and removing permanent warp have ruined TC in my experience, and there isn't a way to disable it. While some may like the power of these features, I'd personally stray away from Thaumaturgy when using this mod.
  4. In the config features, I'd personally recommend turning "Generate Some Pylons as Broken" and "Adjacency Upgrades Require Energy" to true. The first option will help you die a bit less early-game and add a fun bit of gameplay in repairing structures around the world. The second option balances late-game blocks by making them require an energy, and while the requirement isn't steep you get the chance to build some pretty neat multi-blocks. I'd also turn down the "Vanilla Dye Drop Percentage" to like 10 or so because of a specific tree that drops a lag-inducing amount of dyes otherwise.
Getting Started
When you first start exploring your world, you'll notice that Chromaticraft adds a lot to your worldgen. As soon as you hop in your world and do your standard mining and base-finding ritual, you'll notice some mysterious runes pop up on the side of your screen when you look at CC blocks. Even some of the names of items and drops are obscured by the runic text. As you progress through the mod, things will reveal themselves to you, so you'll constantly have to explore your world to get the most out of these resources.

The Chroma Lexicon is CC's guide book and documentation. The book is navigated using WASD to move around, with Shift increasing the scrolling speed. Rather than have every entry within the book presented at once, the Lexicon's information is unlocked through Info Fragments, which are found in dungeon loot around the world; any generated chest is bound to have a few. While initially blank, an entry within the lexicon is assigned to the fragment once it enters your inventory, which can then be added to the Lexicon by shift-clicking it. Entrys must be unlocked by completing the mod's progression; if every available fragment is unlocked, they will simply appear as blank within your inventory but can be stored for later when you obtain the progression to unlock the next entries. Be sure to stockpile as many as you can, as you'll need over 200 throughout the course of the mod. They'll be far easier to find later, so for now just shove them in your book as soon as you get them - you should keep your book on you to save the hefty inventory space the fragments clog otherwise.

As you'll only unlock things by completing the progression, the first goal is to, well, progress. Some progressions are needed to continue down the main tree, while others unlock side entries or new items.

Energy Beacons - look at the glowing orb of a pylon. The pylon must be active (can't be broken) so you're likely to get damaged in the process. I'd just run underneath a non-dangerous pylon (ex the magenta pylon) and jump up to look at it to nab this progression.

Ethereal Luma
- Find the purple starry liquid, which spawns underground in Luminous Cliffs and magical biomes (Rainbow Forest, Ender Forest, TC Magical Forest, etc). Walking in it gives you an x-ray effect, which is super useful for finding structures and caves so try to grab a bucket of this as early as possible.

Glowing Towers - Find a stupidly rare structure in the world. I've never obtained this one.

Monster Slayer
- Kill a hostile mob. Does this even need a guide?

Endless Mobs - Break a mob spawner. Not needed right away but you're likely to run into it anyways.

Tangible Energy - Find a cave crystal. These are everywhere, you're going to run into this on your own.

World Floor - Reach bedrock. This is pretty immediately relevant, so just dig down to bedrock before you end your mining journey.

Technicolor Trees - Break a leaf block off of a dye tree. The colored trees come in all 16 colors and spawn everywhere, it's pretty hard to miss them.

[Forestry] Crystal Hives - break a Crystal Hive, found underground in caves and ravines. These are broken with a pickaxe, you don't need a scoop.

Mysterious Relics - Find a buried relic, which you can find through glowing particles underground. I'm not entirely sure what these do, guess you'll have to find out. =)

A less than... honorable attempt - Villages will sometimes spawn with weird CC structures: either a broken altar of crystalline stone or a wooden dome. Break the crafting table in the middle to reveal the chest underneath and open it.

Pylons are large structures made of black, crystalline stone with a shining ball of light at the top. These generate everywhere and will zap you if you come near, dealing 5 damage (2.5 hearts) regardless of armor and will inflict a potion effect depending on the color of the pylon. If even one block of the structure is broken, the pylon becomes inactive and harmless as a result, so if one is getting into the way you can simply break a non-glowing piece of the stone and leave that piece nearby if you need to repair it later. Be especially cautious of the dark-green pylons, as they inflict Poison III for a few seconds which can quickly kill a weak player. These will primarily be used later, but for now they're an avoidable obstacle.

Cave Crystals are colorful crystals that spawn all over the world, most commonly found within caves. When nearby or punched, they give off a potion effect depending on the color of the crystal. When broken, they will drop crystal shards of their respective color. While you don't need a pickaxe to break these, their drops are affected by Fortune, or you can Silk-Touch the crystal to take its effect back to your base with you.

[this thread is still under development]

Credits: Thanks to PM_ME_YOUR_CANINE from /r/feedthebeast for helping me discover the mod at the start. His guide inspired me to make this, because an updated guide is surely needed for such a huge mod. (can't post links as a new user)

Last edited: