ChickenChunks Help

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Shadowflame919

Jul 29, 2019
Hello peeps, I was just playing the newish updated 1.7.10 Direwolf20 Pack and was just beginning to make a MFR Tree Farm but was wondering if squashing the whole thing into one chunk for a chunkloader would be any use. Here are a few questions this created: Do players need to be near saplings for them to grow? If so, will chunk loaders make saplings grow without players? If players need to be near saplings to grow, will bonemeal/fertilizer change anything? How about crops/bushes? Will Vanilla Monster spawners spawn mobs if chunks are loaded via CL? What about MFR Auto-Spawners?

If anybody could answer any of these questions or just give me some extra knowledge on the capabilities of Chunk-Loaders it would be greatly appreciated. Thx

Wagon154

Jul 29, 2019
You do not need to be near the plants to grow/bonemeal them, so yes a chunk loader will work. As for mob spawning, a player has to be near the spawner for it to work. Chunk loader won't cut it. But if you first catch the mob in a jailer net, release it, then catch it in a reusable safari net, you can auto spawn it without being near it(as long as it is chunk loaded.).

Elessar

Jul 29, 2019
Mob spawners themselves will normally need you within 16 blocks of them, even if chunk loaded, though I believe you can get around that by putting cursed earth beneath the spawner block itself (don't quote me on that, it was in a Direwolf forgecraft episode).

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Mob spawners themselves will normally need you within 16 blocks of them, even if chunk loaded, though I believe you can get around that by putting cursed earth beneath the spawner block itself (don't quote me on that, it was in a Direwolf forgecraft episode).
This is correct. Although it spawns at a slower rate:
I think it's around half of what would normally spawn on average (per minute) than if a player was there

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Chunk loaders act just like they're a player standing there, the only exception to that as far as I know is the vanilla mob spawners, which do not activate and must be physically stood next to. Crops will grow, saplings will grow, MFR auto-spawners will keep crankin' out mobs, etc.

I often "squash down" to one-chunk-builds when I play on multiplayer servers for this very reason. FYI, the ChickenChunks loader wasn't ready yet for 1.7.10 as of a few days ago when I checked. I think that's the best one, at least for my SSP worlds.

Wagon154

Jul 29, 2019
Chunk loaders act just like they're a player standing there, the only exception to that as far as I know is the vanilla mob spawners, which do not activate and must be physically stood next to. Crops will grow, saplings will grow, MFR auto-spawners will keep crankin' out mobs, etc.

I often "squash down" to one-chunk-builds when I play on multiplayer servers for this very reason. FYI, the ChickenChunks loader wasn't ready yet for 1.7.10 as of a few days ago when I checked. I think that's the best one, at least for my SSP worlds.
Dimensional Anchors by Immibis is better. ChickenChunks has a few memory leaks.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Dimensional Anchors by Immibis is better. ChickenChunks has a few memory leaks.

Okay thanks. I was gonna say something about that, but since I heard it from a modpack developer and really don't know what I'm talking about, I decided to let it be. Glad you brought it up tho, that confirms what they told me. In SSP worlds I never had any problem with the CC chunk loader but I'll try that other one out.