Request Check if whether this laptop is good enough? Thanks

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

WeShallEarn

Sep 3, 2020
I don't know much about the specs and the mods, but if i were to run big modpacks, will i be able to with these specs?

Lenovo Yoga Slim 7 Specs.PNG

WeShallEarn

Sep 3, 2020
And also, what would i have to do to make it run better. (like i heard something with optifine helping out with rendering or stuffs). Mods, or changing stuffs in the pc itself ( Overclocking), and whatnot. Anything is appreciated, thanks

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
You're going to run into a common problem with laptops... that's an APU processor, combined CPU and GPU, and those don't do particularly well with Minecraft, which requires a lot of CPU and a lot of GPU. It's also a 2.0 GHz proc, which is really not going to do very well. Core count is meaningless because Minecraft is notoriously bad at multithreading.

Even a Ryzen 3 3300X would be better than that Ryzen 7 4700U assuming it was paired with any sort of dedicated graphics card. Hell, even a 1050Ti would be better.

About the only thing that laptop has going for it is the RAM, which is pretty solid.

Overclocking on laptops is a recipe for temperature throttle and would likely do more harm than good to your performance, since they have notoriously poor heat management due to the smaller footprint available.

Optifine is a bad thing. It makes things look better, but most of its optimizations can be had better with things like FoamFix or BetterFPS. It also doesn't play well with several mods and how they render things. In general, Optifine in a modded environment is begging for trouble.

tl;dr: You *might* be able to get smaller packs to run, but I wouldn't expect very good performance. It would struggle to maintain a steady 30 FPS on virtually any pack, probably even straight vanilla Minecraft.

WeShallEarn

Sep 3, 2020
I haven't gotten the laptop, and those spec are from online, the one I saw from a local dealer has this spec "Yoga Slim7 (82A10048MJ) YS 7/14.0FHD_IPS_GL_300N_MT_GLASS/CORE_I7-1065G7/512GB/MX350/W10/NO ODD/MS OFC H&S/2YRS PRM CARE/FABRIC (BLUE)"

Not AMD, intel I7 10th Gen, With a dGPU of just MX350.

they haven't said anything about the RAM yet tho.

Is this any better?

If not, Do you know any laptop that is good for playing modpacks, Which can be used for programming meaning around 16gb ram, from what i know this is the only main thing. Other than a strong processor. with a budget of $1000-$1200.

Thanks for helping mann

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
In my experience 'laptop' and 'programming' tend to be mutually exclusive. Is there a reason you're wedded to the idea of a laptop? A desktop would serve both of these needs better, and for less money.

WeShallEarn

Sep 3, 2020
Well, it's because of university, I'm going to be joining soon, and am going for computer science course, which is programming, so that's why laptop. I did realize that a desktop would be way cheaper, but again, university.

Any suggestions?