[CHALLENGE] (v4.3-ish 6/7/18) Refugee to Regent Kingdom Building Challenge

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

What do you think of the Serf to Supreme Challenge?

• City Construction Challenge was better!

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • It's okay, but there's definitely room for improvement

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • Give me my Electrics sooner!

Votes: 14 10.9%
  • I enjoy the slow introduction of mods.

Votes: 43 33.3%
  • I wish Element Animation would hurry up with the next episode.

Votes: 24 18.6%
  • I love it!

Votes: 51 39.5%

• Total voters

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
@Senseidragon @The Mobius Archives @Maul_Junior @Monarch_of_Gold @VaalDeth
Hello all!

I'm not dead, just took a very long (3+ years) unintended vacation from my normal life. I'm planning on getting back into gaming, and I thought about R2R quite a few times over the years. I just need to get a working computer once more. Borrowing someone else's tablet to do some catching up is nice, but not a long-term solution!

5 years, 7½ months since I last posted on this thread... Yikes.

We could migrate the content to another wiki host (not a fan of Fandom for all sorts of reasons).

Run it as a small team, that way if one or more members get burned out or drift away, we can always invite new blood.

Welcome back, @TomeWyrm, it has definitely been a while.

Well, I'm still around if people are serious about getting this up and running again. I'm effectively retired now, so I have nothing but time on my hands. :)

Senseidragon

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
My biggest issues currently are a complete lack of familiarity with mods past 1.7.10; no PC, at all; lack of familiarity with vanilla Minecraft past 1.12; and needing a deep dive into the challenge, so I can hopefully understand the objectives and parameters of the challenge to thereby update it. Working on all 4 currently.

I'm thinking of including non-exhaustive but comprehensive examples of allowed/restricted content for each stage. I think that is probably the biggest grey area for a new player to the challenge. It might need to be broken up by release version due to all the mod and vanilla changes between versions.

Maybe include some of what the updates in the base game versions mean for the lore?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
I was out for a bit about the time FTB and Curse parted ways, but came back a bit ago. I've most often been in the 1.16.5 era stuff, but have recently started equipping a 1.18.2 pack that I think offers a few ideas that would lend themselves to this sort of challenge, or at least a rebooted version of it. If you want to bounce some ideas around, let me know.

If you want to spread it among the last several versions, I'd suggest only picking a few unless you want to go pure vanilla. Some versions never really garnered a lot of mod support.

Sent from my desktop before my morning coffee. :)'

PS: I saw your post yesterday, but was tied up with appointments and didn't have time to get to a decent reply. Sorry about that.

TheBrain

Jul 29, 2019
Well it's been 4 years since I've posted in this thread... but yes if a reboot is on the cards I'd be happy to contribute.

TheBrain

Jul 29, 2019
@Senseidragon @TomeWyrm @Loki61089
Here is a bit more of a detailed reply now I've had a think.

The main difficulty I always had was that Maul had such a lot of ideas and tried to implement them all at once that it was very difficult to follow. I think that a rough outline of the whole challenge should be made first and then details can be added in later.

I also think there should be enough of the challenge to complete in Vanilla, with extra goals available for some of the most popular tech and magic mods. You could even have a bronze/silver/gold completion for how many you can do. Details about the goals should be linked to another page to avoid clutter. Each goal is worth a certain number of points and you can choose which you do to progress.

Perhaps something like this (I've added a bit more structure to T3 to show what I'm thinking:

Tier 0: Refugee
Tier 1: Wood
Tier 2: Stone

Tier 3: Iron
[0/50 completed]
Unlocks - Iron tools, Iron armour, Flint and steel, Copper, Silver, Lead

Main Base
[10] Bring total number of rooms in your mansion to 8.

Homes
[10] Your town should include at least 3 x T3 houses.

Agriculture
[10] Build at least 3 of the following, or have a total of 6 agricultural buildings: Fishing Hut, Apiary, Fruit Orchard, Pig Farm

Miners
[5] Extend your mine to reach a depth of y=16
[5] Build a warehouse for storing and processing ores

Storage
[5] Upgrade your storage to include room for the new items available to you.
[5] Include either iron chests, or make yourself and your storage workers some backpacks.

Population
Crafters
Engineers
Magicians
etc...

Tier 4: Redstone
Tier 5: Gold
Tier 6: Diamond
Tier 7: Obsidian
Tier 8: Netherite
Tier 9: The End

Tier 10: Nuclear
Tier X: Space Race

Final thoughts:
- Nothing should require removal of past buildings. Nobody wants to spend half their time replacing things they've already built.
- Buckets, wooden hoes, torches and furnaces available from the beginning.

I don't think it would take too long to get an outline like this in place if a few people are up for it. Then it'll be down to just how much detail we want to go in to.

Edit: I have some free time over the next few weeks, so I have started putting it together.

Link to wiki
TheBrain#2655 on discord if anyone would like to discuss.

Last edited:

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
Sorry I haven't responded pretty much all month, but I was spending most of it in and out of the hospital getting various systems tuned up and cleared out.

I am hoping things go mostly back to normal for me in August, and I can contribute meaningfully to the project. AFAIK, I only have one "appointment" with the ripperdoc next month, and its entirely outpatient.

Senseidragon
(Not totally falling apart, really!)

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
@TheBrain That seems fairly similar to what MaulJunior was going for. Me personally, I preferred the milestone method. More like quest objectives than point totals.

But my life has been a complete mess with no work/life balance, so I haven't even re-read the wiki to refresh my memory.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

teagan75

Jul 29, 2019
I am playing this challenge with the Create mod, MCA Reborn mod and No Tree Punching mod plus the New in Town datapacks. New in Town fits really well with the challenge and adds adventure plus expansion into the other dimensions

Reactions: Yelta