Challenge, Reward, and the ratio between them

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I had a most interesting discussion with Zorn, which was continued in PM's to avoid derailing the thread it started in, concerning Challenge and its place in a game. We had different perspectives on several aspects, however it did get me thinking that perhaps this is the real crux of the matter when it comes to certain well beaten dead horses on this forum, and perhaps a bit of clean debate and non-judgmental expression of opinions could help 'clean the air' so to speak.

But first, a few ground rules of the thread. I will be reporting violators to the moderators.

• Your opinion is just that: your opinion. It is not a fact, nor should it be mistaken for one.
  • Facts can be right or wrong, because they are universal objective statements. Opinions are inherently subjective. You can disagree with the opinion, however it does not invalidate either that opinion or yours.
  • Someone disagreeing with your opinion, or having an opinion which is mutually exclusive from yours, is not 'wrong'. It's kind of hard to be 'right' or 'wrong' on a subjective topic, after all.
  • The proper response to someone misunderstanding your point of view is to clarify your point of view, not to flame or make personal attacks.
  • The proper response to someone making a personal attack or flaming you is to report the post to a Moderator, not return fire.
And with that, let's get to the meat of the discussion at hand, which I feel is important enough that it deserves its own thread.

Challenge. It means different things to different people. Which has been the cause of many arguments on these forums. Some mods provide different challenges and different types of challenges, whereas some mods work to reduce the challenge.

Reward. It is what you get out of tackling the challenge. For some people, the self-gratification of having successfully tackled the challenge is reward enough. Others want something tangible (or at least as much as anything in a virtual world can be called 'tangible') to show for their efforts. I would also like to point out that 'reward' is rarely 'stuff'. A mod which allows you to craft dirt into diamonds has very little actual gameplay enjoyability or 'reward', because you didn't need to do anything to do it.

There's a sliding scale of Challenge vs Reward which people end up on. Some people love tackling challenges, and don't need much in the way of Reward, and would find something which had a high Reward to be 'OP'. By that same token, there are those who are on the other side of that sliding scale who would feel that something with high Challenge and low Reward would be 'punitive'.

So, who is right? Both of them. And neither of them. There is no right or wrong here. There is only what fits your play style and your criteria for 'fun'.

I would also like to throw in another dynamic into this, and that is the type of challenge presented. I previously used an example of IC2-EX vs Thaumcraft4 to demonstrate this, however, I shall briefly sum it up.

Standing in front of a crafting table grinding out combines is not very fun for most people. It presents zero actual challenge, it gives the user nothing entertaining to do, just 'click a button', and in general is about as entertaining as watching paint dry. I won't make an absolute statement and say that this is not fun, but inevitably, there will be someone who finds this entertaining, if not the majority.

Therefore, the new mechanic with IC2-EX of needing a hammer and snips in making plates and wires is an innovative method, however it does have some problems. First off, as I said, grinding out combines is not very interesting. It doesn't require any particular skill to press a button, so there is, for most people, no sense of accomplishment for doing it.

Second off, the durability of both tools is very low. For a mod attempting to 'bring some reality' into a game, a hammer that can only be used eighty times is the exact opposite. Speaking as someone who has been trained by an actual smith, I have used hammers that are hundreds of years old. The idea of a hammer breaking after five minutes of use is... ridiculous. Therefore, the actual reason behind this is to produce 'resource bleed' by needing to continuously make more hammers as you use them. But since you need a good amount of iron for a hammer, and iron is not a renewable resource, it is irritating to some to need to 'burn iron' to make plates, wires, and components crafted from them.

Third off is obsoleting tools. There's a machine you can create which functions as both a hammer and shears. This will stop the 'resource bleed' of needing to constantly make new tools. However, it means that the tools you have used will now rot away in an inventory somewhere, never to be used again, because you don't want the resource bleed associated with using them.

So basically, you have a boring grind involved in passing items through a combine whose sole exclusive purpose is to generate resource bleed of non-renewable resources, and when you are done you are left with tools you have zero interest in using and will be taking up inventory space for the rest of your game unless you end up destroying them.

One of the arguments presented here is 'well, isn't a furnace also a pointless grind? Why not have the iron ores just drop ingots?'. First, I find this to be a rather stretched Hyperbole, and rather disingenuous, however I shall address it as well.

A furnace requires less micro-management than a crafting recipe. You can stick a stack of ore and some coal or charcoal in the furnace, then walk off and do something else while it processes. Furthermore, a furnace can be run on Charcoal, which is a renewable resource, so you don't have a resource bleed of non-renewable resources involved in the process.

Therefore it is my personal opinion that this whole setup is largely punitive in nature and a boring grind designed to create artificial difficulty.

By contrast, Thaumcraft 4 also has some fairly harsh restrictions on progressing through its tech tree, but it does so in a different manner.

First off is the scanning mechanic, which requires you to go out and explore and, while you are doing so, scan all the things. This doesn't really take up much of your time because you are already going to be going out and exploring to obtain resources, and you are going to be passing by said things, scanning doesn't take very long, it has shiny graphics to keep the player entertained while it is undertaking this process, and gives you a little 'ding' when done.

Now then, the Thaumometer is a tool you will be using your entire career, even after you get access to the Goggles of Revealing. However, even if you don't want to use one after you research the Goggles, it is a necessary component of those goggles, so there is still a use for it. It doesn't have durability, you don't need to keep making it over and over again, so there is no resource bleed. And it doesn't really get in the way of playing your game. It's rather like a value-added rather than 'sit at the crafting table and grind out some combines'. It enhances gameplay rather than takes away from it.

Then there's the research system, which has gotten the most negativity. Aspects are not exactly common. You can use up a lot of aspects very quickly, particularly your first time through TC4. Combining aspects to make something is, in fact, a boring grind. However, there is at least some challenge involved in this process by remembering which aspects create which other aspects which are needed in research. Also, research has a random factor, depending on the aspect you research, which can be very frustrating.

However, even there, you've got a logical, if complex, system to use. It requires some forethought and some player skill to be able to optimize this. So for those players who like to tackle a challenge and learn a new skill set, this is highly rewarding. It can, however, be seen as too Challenging for some players.

Now let's talk about wands to bring up a parallel and contrast to the outdated tools. At first, you will only have an iron-capped wand. Then you get more powerful wands that do better things. However, even when you've got your uber-tier wand, your basic iron-capped wand is still useful in making things in your Arcane Workbench. It can still store a small amount of essence, which can be used to perform useful tasks.
Furthermore, it can just sit in your Arcane Workbench most of the time and not take up any other inventory, and your arcane workbench will always have a wand in it which can be used to make things. And when it gets low, you can go recharge it normally. It might not be your first tool of choice, but it is still valuable even when you have higher tiers of wands.

Not to beat on a dead horse or to commit a 'Godwin', but I suppose it is inevitable that I bring up GregTech in this discussion as a contrast.

Many people find GregTech to be a very long, boring grind. It doesn't require a lot of skill on the part of the player to play GregTech, it just takes forever with a bunch of sub-combines and progressively rarer materials as you progress in tech tiers. Finding rare materials does not impart a challenge to the player's skills, it just requires a time sink to be able to find the bloody bastard. This, I believe, is why GregTech has encountered such hostility... not just the difficulty level, which is actually not all that high once you break it down... but the boring grind involved with the mod before you are allowed to do anything. Many people seem to feel that the reward given for the challenge is not compensatory. Also, the developer seems to have mistaken the word 'reward' for 'stuff', which is generally not the case. It doesn't matter to me, at least not after the very early game stages, if I can double, triple, or quadruple my ores. What matters most to me is the enjoyment I get out of progressing through the mod.

This also ties into the problem with IC2 and dependent mods: machine explosion. Some people see it as a challenge, others see it as punitive. Some would point out 'well, what do you think would happen if you stick your cell phone straight into a wall socket'. Unfortunately, what actually happens in that case is not an explosion, the cell phone shorts out and ceases to function. It might catch on fire, but that's about it. It does not destroy everything in a three meter radius of itself. Large machines in the actual industry have circuit breakers and fuses to prevent just such a problem, that industrial machines do explode because they don't have such safeguards is, again, breaking the verisimilitude which they are attempting to introduce, in the name of 'challenge'.

So, why don't we share our ideas on challenge and reward and have some friendly debate on these topics and how the mods fit in here.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
I'm waiting on the 1.6 dw20 pack. I'm fairly hesitant of just about all the mods coming out for it. They all seem to have taken substantially different directions in detail from atleast 1.5. I've tried the 1.4.7 gregtech. I was successfully able to navigate through some of the "Go west so that you can get to the East" tech progression. But what made me just delete the pack folder was when I was presented with the task of Marco Polo'ing for extremely rare stuff in every biome and end. Adding detail to tech progression I'm fine with, whether its just making me stare at a crafting bench a million more times or making me build 5 multiblock machines to replace the job of just 1 single block machine. I do not have the time to nor the interest to search for the end of the rainbow. Thaumcraft 2 would have made me delete the pack folder as well, if it wasn't for Diewolf's Spoltlights and ftbwiki.org's cheat sheets. It is as poor judgement to have the user try and accidentally figure something out as Vanilla minecraft would be without a fully detailed minecraft wiki. That thing is as intuitive as a turtle needing to learn how to walk on its hind legs. It appears thaum 3 is the same way but with more unexplained progressions. And to be honest, not being offered any clue of how something works is even worse to me than being charged to find every single ore in the ore dictionary within a 10000 block radius.

Reactions: Jadedcat

TheAbstractHippo

Jul 29, 2019
Wall of text! Okay, here's what I think. I think difficulty and rewards should be changeable IN-GAME. Not just through configs. Bam. Opinion stated.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
I remember the first time confronted with Thaumcraft. I was told that the ingame descriptions should suffice. The book says, "You now are beginning to understand such and such" and me saying, "The hell I do" after blowing entire stacks of valuables because the ingame explanations suck shit through a straw.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
But as far as rewards go.... I get highly agitated when something is ambiguous or when something I need has a very small chance of happening but is required. For example, the one thing that gets me all the time is the need to get something Fortune 3 enchanted. Thank god for TiC, else I'd cheat that fucker in after 2 attempts every world. In GT, things that are necessary are given by a rare chance. and you have to get to all 4 corners of the earth to possibly get rare stuff that give you the rare chance for other stuff. If I can't achieve a mini goal set in front of me in a manner of a week, Imma finna quit that because its ridiculous at that point. I feel rewarded when I can conceptualize the result, see a plan for it, am reasonably capable of achieving the goal, can conceptualize a benefit, and not prevented from following through because of small random mechanics or because of underwhelming mod explination.

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
My thoughts are unlikely to be as well-articulated as yours, but I'll toss in a bone. We all know that the only resource that Minecraft burns is time. Player time, specifically. Everything else in the game can be described in player-hours to achieve in some fashion (and at various points in infrastructure). Almost all mods give us tools to make more efficient uses (and sometimes different uses) of that time so that we can get on with the business of doing whatever.

Keeping that in mind, when a mod forces me into a series of repetitive actions in order to achieve a slightly better result, I expect that the result will either be worth the time investment, or will in some way reward me in a fashion that rewards that time investment in another fashion (such as removing or reducing time to handle some other task). Tedium, for me, is the result when a mod fails to walk that line, or when the time investment is such that the end result is unlikely to, or cannot, make up for the cost.

For example, HV solar arrays are massive constructions that provide metric boatloads of power for no (further) work on the player's part. But..holy cow, the work required to get there, or to figure out a way to automate it. I felt pretty awesome the first time I made a solar panel. I felt pretty cool when I made my first LV panel. By the time I made the first MV panel I was thinking 'really? 7 more of these?', and when I got that last HV panel I just threw my hands up and swore I'd never do it again. It's just easier to do lava or charcoal or whatever and the end result is,ultimately, the same (power, used to power machines that make my playtime more efficient). It took me a couple of weeks, and a lot of cross-mod playtime. I learned a couple of things, but the most important one was that I have no desire to go through that ever again.

Balancing those two things, time required vs end result, is a real difficult task. It might even be impossible outside of some fairly controlled circumstances, but it's blindingly obvious to me which mods have been more successful in doing it.

Drawde

Jul 29, 2019
First, I was watching Direwolf20's recent videos. With the hammer and shears of IC2-exp. He used the machine to make stuff while using the hammer to make plates. The thing about that machine is it takes time to make stuff, while the hammer and shears can make a stack with a few quick clicks. So it's an argument involving time and renewability.

Second, the RNG is NOT difficulty. It's just a time sink. If something is boring but has a slim chance of getting me what I want, it doesn't automatically make the game more fun to make be do that boring thing for hours.

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
However you define challenge it is up to you to make it happen in Minecraft, because almost anything you can do in modded Minecraft is just a matter of time. It only becomes challenging when you set your own time/resource limits for a given project.

Physicist

Jul 29, 2019
To elaborate on reward not being stuff, a lump of potential knowledge is worth its weight in diamonds to me. I find learning a new system (AE, TC4, EE2, IC2 Reactors) very satisfying. The complexity of that system is analogous to the size of that lump of potential knowledge.

Yeah, I refuse to play gregtech without having ME crafting available to me (even if it's a little tedious getting to that point).

I find that I have sliding scales regarding the challenge VS reward ratio balance as long as I have some idea what I'm getting myself into.

Darkone84

Jul 29, 2019
For me it all comes down to “TIME”. If I am playing a pack with 30-50 mods in the pack I don’t mind spending a bit more time on each mod as long as there is some sort or reward/challenge in doing so. But if I playing a pack with 175+ mods I don’t have enough time to use all the mods. I normally would play the mods I know and then look at the ones I don’t and see which one will give me the bigger reward/challenge or look/sound fun.

Another Note: I did like GT and Thaumcraft in FTB Ultimate. For MC 1.5.2 I still liked playing with Thaumcraft but not GT as much I believe it went too far. I did play both packs FTB unleashed and FTB unhinged. The time spent vs. the reward doesn’t make it worthwhile. For 1.6.4 yeah I don’t know if I will use either mod.

Mero

Jul 29, 2019
By contrast, Thaumcraft 4 also has some fairly harsh restrictions on progressing through its tech tree, but it does so in a different manner.

First off is the scanning mechanic, which requires you to go out and explore and, while you are doing so, scan all the things. This doesn't really take up much of your time because you are already going to be going out and exploring to obtain resources, and you are going to be passing by said things, scanning doesn't take very long, it has shiny graphics to keep the player entertained while it is undertaking this process, and gives you a little 'ding' when done.

IMO, this is exactly what I don't like about TC4 and it is the reason I no longer use mystcraft and will never again.

I don't explore the world after finding my initial starting base. When I start a fresh world, now that we have the ability to set spawn points with beds, I punch a couple of trees and travel around looking for just the right area of biomes that will have everything that I need in it. I find an area that is next to a desert and either has a forest/jungle or plains. Along my travels I pick up reeds, pumpkins,lily pads, saplings, seeds and whatever else laying around I might want/need.

After that point, I tend not to travel beyond 200-300 blocks from my base. I simply don't have the RL time to spend hours running around the wilderness. All of my resource gathering is then done underground and the farms I make above ground.

In my case, the challenge of wandering around looking for nodes is in no way made up for by anything the mod itself has to offer.

The only reason I am still playing with TC4 is because I have done something I have never done before and am against doing. I changed the configs. I made it so that every single chunk has a node in it.

For me, the biggest challenge is being able to do stuff in a very very limited amount of time and to not have to spend RL days of my time doing things that just aren't fun. Working 12 hours shifts, getting more than an hour of play time at a time is a very rare thing. Spending that hour wandering around looking for nodes is the exact opposite of why I play games.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
IMO, this is exactly what I don't like about TC4 and it is the reason I no longer use mystcraft and will never again.

I don't explore the world after finding my initial starting base. When I start a fresh world, now that we have the ability to set spawn points with beds, I punch a couple of trees and travel around looking for just the right area of biomes that will have everything that I need in it. I find an area that is next to a desert and either has a forest/jungle or plains. Along my travels I pick up reeds, pumpkins,lily pads, saplings, seeds and whatever else laying around I might want/need.

After that point, I tend not to travel beyond 200-300 blocks from my base. I simply don't have the RL time to spend hours running around the wilderness. All of my resource gathering is then done underground and the farms I make above ground.

In my case, the challenge of wandering around looking for nodes is in no way made up for by anything the mod itself has to offer.

The only reason I am still playing with TC4 is because I have done something I have never done before and am against doing. I changed the configs. I made it so that every single chunk has a node in it.

For me, the biggest challenge is being able to do stuff in a very very limited amount of time and to not have to spend RL days of my time doing things that just aren't fun. Working 12 hours shifts, getting more than an hour of play time at a time is a very rare thing. Spending that hour wandering around looking for nodes is the exact opposite of why I play games.
yeeeeup.

Flipz

Jul 29, 2019
For me, I'd like to explore around the world, building multiple bases, having adventures, and that sort of thing, but realistically I just don't have the time for it--real life keeps me plenty busy. In single-player, that translates out to never having enough resources for what I want to build; in multiplayer, that means either only being able to build systems I can "set and forget" and/or build with the resources I have in a finite area, OR falling massively behind the general tech level and relying on others' charity as I explore exclusively and never have the time to establish significant infrastructure.

In other words, my time is very valuable to me, so mods that take up a lot of it and force me to babysit them are quickly going to lose my interest, and tend to make me lose interest in Minecraft in general if I'm forced to use them.

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
In other words, my time is very valuable to me, so mods that take up a lot of it and force me to babysit them are quickly going to lose my interest, and tend to make me lose interest in Minecraft in general if I'm forced to use them.
This is a good point that I didn't touch on. I consider punishing mod choices unpleasant for the same reason as tedious ones. A bit of lag, an oversight in placement, or just some bad math and now I've lost some amount of time having to redo work that I just did, or I'm scrambling looking for silver wood saplings and hoping to goodness that I can stop the taint or whatever. That part of any mod is what I want to avoid

xbony2

WikiWorker
Wiki Staff
FTB Mod Dev
Jul 3, 2013
America
ftb.gamepedia.com
I've been playing better then wolves for a while now, and that mod author must torture puppies in his basement. He's made everything insanely hard to each (ex. iron ore smelts into IRON NUGGETS and that dang hardcore spawn. You know how people complain about gregtech only giving two wood planks? In BTW, two planks is what you get with proper tools, otherwise it's one).

Yet, call me crazy, but it's been a blast. Just my input. Nothing beats challenge.

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
One of the arguments presented here is 'well, isn't a furnace also a pointless grind? Why not have the iron ores just drop ingots?'. First, I find this to be a rather stretched Hyperbole, and rather disingenuous, however I shall address it as well.

Just to point out, Hyperbole is using exaggeration in a phrase, like "it takes a million years to make a fusion reactor." The point of the word 'hyperbole' , unless I'm mistaken, is when exaggeration is used as a literary effect. Everyone knows a fusion reactor doesn't take a million years to make, but the author gets his point across. Hyperbole is not 'bad', its just a tool in writing.

Disingenuous means "not candid or sincere, typically by pretending that one knows less about something than one really does." I said KingLemming was disingenuous in the other thread because I suspected that he pretended not to know that people would have access to things they would always have, like quarries that would make the increased cost of conduits over conductive pipes basically non existent. I might be wrong about the furnaces, but I am sincere when I say it. I do believe furnaces are an example of tedium. Tedium is usually defined here as something 'pointless' that doesn't really add to the game. There is no real *need* to smelt ores into ingots, just as there is no real *need* for plate benders.

So anyway, my point was very sincere, I really do think furnaces are an example of tedium, just to show that we all enjoy SOME tedium. The boring tasks make the goal that much more satisfying. Exhibit A: A cracked.com article :)

http://www.cracked.com/article_18461_5-creepy-ways-video-games-are-trying-to-get-you-addicted.html

Games are designed to have a certain amount of boring aspects to them, to make the goals you reach more thrilling. If the path to the goal is also fun... the goal is LESS satisfying. A scientist said it, so it must be true. (Kidding, I kid, I kid.) But seriously, there is some science backing this up. Should I say it's 'my opinion that tedium adds to the fun of the game?' Well that is less threatening, but this is what evidence is for. Science has given us some evidence that tedium adds to the overall game experience. The furnace example is also evidence. Smelting is not necessary, AE knives for crafting are not necessary. AE smelting of processors is as pointless as making plates in IC2. Why not just craft the finished processor? By the time an AE system is being made, smelting a stack of items is not really an issue for anyone, so it is not to be a drain on your resources. This is evidence to back up the idea that all players are ok with SOME level of tedium or pointless steps. Again, the peer reviewed article in the scientific journal "Cracked.com" provides solid evidence that players enjoy boring tasks.

The issue appears to be that games need to be designed with SOME tedium, but not too much, and how much is enough depends on how much a person can play. In my opinion. As Zilvarwolf said above, he works 12 hours shifts, he does not want to spend an hour after work looking for thaumcraft nodes. For my buddy on my server who is fairly single and spends all day saturday and sunday and every day after work playing, looking for nodes would be fun.

So it is my opinion that the reason for all the arguments in this game is that 1:Everyone's definition of how much time they will spend doing boring tasks to get to fun tasks is different. And 2: Well... there is no 2. I think that's the big issue.

Which means offer configs or some other way to set up the mod to your liking, just like difficulty modes. Most of the replies here come down to how much time you can invest in the game. I like ic2 explosions, although fuses would be ok too. Just some sort of setback if I screw up. But someone with less time than me who doesn't play late at night giving up sleep or plays other games or ...watches tv, which I don't do, etc. would probably not like replacing fuses. Again, configs, configs.

I also like complexity. Like an idiot I put an mv charge-pad on a 128 eu/t line that went to onward to my ME system. Drain the charge-pad, and it draws all the energy coming from the MFE supplying the line, and my ME system goes down. Not to get people riled attacking TE, but Redstone Conduits are an example in my opinion of something that reduces complexity and thus reduces the fun. With redstone conduits and an MJ charge-pad (if there was one), I would have had no problems. The problems and issues created by hooking all of the stuff in these mods together is where I get a lot of my fun. If mods remove the issues and simplify things, it won't be fun for me.

But again... for someone with less time, that might not be fun. If I had to spend my whole time allotment today fixing that chargepad, I probably wouldn't like it either. It is Rewarding to me to fix that mistake, but to others, not so much.

TL;DR: The balance or ratio of reward to challenge will differ player to player, in depth configs are ideal and probably the only solution.

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Configs are a good start, but need to be handled better. I helped admin a server for a while, and I was the Configurator! (Dun-dun-duuuunnnn). Too many times, I faced a lot of flak and opposition to minor configuration changes...not because the didn't feel it was a good change to make, but because the people didn't want to be bothered updating clients or we're too computer illiterate to do it. And I provided the con figs for download! I even emailed them!

Until servers have a means to transmit and enforce configuration settings, config files are an incomplete answer. It is for this reason that I believe config files should default to the most accessible settings and allow people more interested in changing things to do just that. In my experience, people looking for an unhinged are far outnumbered by people looking for an unleashed