Challenge Denied :(

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
lol, no problem :D I'm probably going to start a community showcase thread for it tomorrow. I'm going to bed, but I managed to get 400 igneous extruders setup tonight and have 3 pieces of Sextuple Compressed, should have enough to get a Sextuple in the morning and hopefully a octuple by the end of the weekend. Sadly I can't actually automate the process of making the Octuple until I get a piece :D, the automation system with AE and export buses is working perfectly though.

Very nice. I shall continue to plot on your behalf!

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Both are too slow. You're better off with an array of these:

on that note, I don't know who it was anymore who recently found that out (maybe straymav), but you can dupe powered rails in 1.2.5 with some sticky pistons, a redstone timer, a few redstone torches and a condenser chest with void ring, because it went so fast the chest itself couldn't keep up. it was a bit tricky to set up because you needed the right timing for it, but after that the EMC came rolling in.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Both are too slow. You're better off with an array of these:

Still too slow- that design is rather inefficient with a lot of wasted space.
If you make the sugarcane in a figure of 8 [3x5] with 2 pedestals you have 6.5 sugar/pedestal and a design that tiles like crazy.
There's probably a more complex pattern that'll let you tile 7 sugar/pedestal​
On a side note- Soulshards would probably give the highest non-exploit output (hello EE3!!), so the question is- witch or ghast?
Ghasts have higher emc drops, but witches are easier to run at full moo.

(like a stack of 50 witch shards= 150mobs/second; but allowing a drop of 40, and 6 for infrastructure you could have 210...)

BanzaiBlitz

Jul 29, 2019
Bah...unimaginative igneous extruder methods and quarry quandries! MFFSv3 combined with a self-contained AE system AND transition planes for block breakers. A couple platforms of those in a mystcraft age would do wonders! :eek:

Or, get yourself some manner of mob farm setup with high mob gen rates and a method of collection that can generate minium shards. AE autocraft minium stones and use multiple stepper crafts to go down the EE3 chain back to cobble. Also works for excess materials from mining or a tree farm. :cool:

Without even needing much pain in CPU draw, you could tear into that cobble production like Gabriel Iglesias tears into tacos. :D

Reactions: Museli and Staxed

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
well, the challenge was to fill a DSU with octuple...which still isn't going to happen, so technically I haven't accepted the challenge.

Though I am going to look into the mob grinder + EE3 thing as well to increase my output.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
well, the challenge was to fill a DSU with octuple...which still isn't going to happen, so technically I haven't accepted the challenge.

Though I am going to look into the mob grinder + EE3 thing as well to increase my output.
I'd suggest a enderman shard with a silverfish shard. Silverfish to be manually killed for shards and enderman for pearls to convert to cobble.

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
I'm unfamiliar with compressed Cobble, but is there any way to produce it without directly producing Cobble and autocrafting it into Compressed?

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019

So this means

Producing it in a reasonable time frame requires probably something along the lines of a trillion Igneous Extruders' production rate on average, which, needless to say, is much more than a processor on anything short of a quantum computer can handle.

To justify those calculations, a million Extruders take about 5500 years, so a billion take 5.5 years. A trillion takes a thousandth of that, which is about 2 days. So I may have overestimated the requirements, the longest timeframe I'd expect to be considered in any way "reasonable" is 30 days, which is ... 66666666666.666... Extruders, or about 67000000000=the equivalent of 67 billion Extruders of production rate. This means that, at some point, your production rate must be at least that of 67 billion Extruders (note that I'm talking about rates, not methods of production,) which is still more than any publicly available modern computer can handle. Most servers being run by publicly available modern computers ...

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
So this means

To justify those calculations, a million Extruders take about 5500 years, so a billion take 5.5 years. A trillion takes a thousandth of that, which is about 2 days. So I may have overestimated the requirements, the longest timeframe I'd expect to be considered in any way "reasonable" is 30 days, which is ... 66666666666.666... Extruders, or about 67000000000=the equivalent of 67 billion Extruders of production rate. This means that, at some point, your production rate must be at least that of 67 billion Extruders (note that I'm talking about rates, not methods of production,) which is still more than any publicly available modern computer can handle. Most servers being run by publicly available modern computers ...

lol, a reasonable timeframe to me is calculated in years, not days...this is a long term project, and...the project isn't to get a full DSU of octuple anymore anyway, it's just to do however much I can...simple as that :D

Right now I've got 642 extruders going, have 2 septuple so far, will have my first octuple before the end of the weekend. I had to put the process on it's own ME network though because my MAC was being overloaded and was taking ages to craft other stuff. So I just build an MAC with 199 CPUs and 1 pattern provider, working excellently for now.

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
After a little research, I believe your most efficient methods are two-fold depending on Minium Shard availability:

First, 5 UU-Matter to 32 flint, then flint + Minium to 4 cobblestone each.

Second, 1 UU-Matter to 16 Stone, then Macerated/Pulverized to cobblestone.

The first is slightly less efficient but much faster; I believe however (not having done precise calculations) that UU-Matter to stone to cobblestone will still be faster in an overclocked macerator than igneous extruders; it's admittedly a hard call, plus there's an initial investment to power the MFs.

Reactions: Staxed

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I'm gonna mess around on our creative world in a few days with a few different options to see what gets me the most bang for my space

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
That second one if done in a pulverizer can have the additional gravel output into a flinting turtle (mining turtle which places gravel then mines it until it turns into flint) then dump that flint into an alchemical turtle to make more cobble.

Reactions: Staxed

BanzaiBlitz

Jul 29, 2019
Also recommend the Iron Spikes from Extra Utilities. Mobs killed on it will still drop rare drops. Does a fair bit of damage and with some creative planning, could probably come up with a pretty darn efficient grinder. Might even be worthwhile to use wooden golems to pickup drops to place into AE and you can seal off the system. A T5 soulshard of something non-teleporting or flying might work like a dream.

And the UU idea is nice too. Plopping solars for the mass fab till it's practically spraying UUM like a berserk cotton candy machine. :D

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
One other thing to note is that MFFS quarries can produce cobblestone at a truly insane rate. I had one going recently at 35 blocks/pulse (which is something like every 2 seconds) without even going over HV current.

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
For producing the compress cobble can't you just use the factorization packagers that take blocks you put into them and try to craft them in a 3x3? This might not be a good idea for the lower end compressions like single and double, but might be better with triple and higher.

Reactions: PeggleFrank

BanzaiBlitz

Jul 29, 2019
Easier to just let AE do it and it's a one and done that way. Only touching you do is when the next tier of cobble is ready and once you have done the max compression, forget you were even doing it. :p

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
Easier to just let AE do it and it's a one and done that way. Only touching you do is when the next tier of cobble is ready and once you have done the max compression, forget you were even doing it. :p

Also the same for other automated systems (I have AE doing it right now though, will have my first piece of Octuple sometime today)

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
I did some math. I know how to do it in ~370 days (it can vary like 20% because it uses a probabilistic thing), and it requires a constant input of minium. Still too long.

But you guys need to stop using TE for this task. It's the wrong tool for the job. The Igneous Extruder has always been and shall always be too slow to do anything but keep cobble stores topped off.