Celestial Recall vs. Portal Gun

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Goobdude

Jul 29, 2019
So, I gotta hear community opinions on this, for those that have tried both TT KAMI's Celestial Recall wand focus and the Portal Gun, which is a more effective method to warp back home? As far as I know, these are the pros and cons, but I'd like to hear other experiences as well.

Tied for both (If only used in overworld): both require 2 slots (wand + celestial pearl for KAMI, portal gun and ender pearl dust for Portal Gun)

Pros for KAMI:
Uses vis (easy to renew at this point of the game)
Convenient wand focus (if you use other foci and a pouch already)
Able to do anywhere (No requirement of a surface to hold a portal)

Cons for KAMI:
Cast takes an amount of time
Need multiple gateways for multiple dimensions (and multiple pearls, which cancels the tie listed above)
Expensive

Pros for Portal Gun:
Instant travel
Relatively easy to get (If lucky with chests, and in comparison to KAMI)
Lay down several doors in each dimension, stays until you reset

Cons for Portal Gun:
Need to continually get Ender Pearl Dust (Not often, but still)
Need surface to place portal
Threats can follow you through portal

So, what are your opinions? Feel free to list any pros and cons not listed, and correct any misconceptions I have.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
The last time I played with Portal Guns (about a month back) they didn't require ender pearl dust for anything except crafting.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
So, I gotta hear community opinions on this, for those that have tried both TT KAMI's Celestial Recall wand focus and the Portal Gun, which is a more effective method to warp back home? As far as I know, these are the pros and cons, but I'd like to hear other experiences as well.

Tied for both (If only used in overworld): both require 2 slots (wand + celestial pearl for KAMI, portal gun and ender pearl dust for Portal Gun)

Pros for KAMI:
Uses vis (easy to renew at this point of the game)
Convenient wand focus (if you use other foci and a pouch already)
Able to do anywhere (No requirement of a surface to hold a portal)

Cons for KAMI:
Cast takes an amount of time
Need multiple gateways for multiple dimensions (and multiple pearls, which cancels the tie listed above)
Expensive

Pros for Portal Gun:
Instant travel
Relatively easy to get (If lucky with chests, and in comparison to KAMI)
Lay down several doors in each dimension, stays until you reset

Cons for Portal Gun:
Need to continually get Ender Pearl Dust (Not often, but still)
Need surface to place portal
Threats can follow you through portal

So, what are your opinions? Feel free to list any pros and cons not listed, and correct any misconceptions I have.
Portal guns do not need fuel...
Also a gun pro is that it is much easier to obtain, quite cheap compared to any ichorium stuff, no research, etc.

Reactions: Padfoote

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
There is (last I heard) a config option for the portal gun to use enderpearl dust as fuel upon shooting a portal. I think it uses one dust for each shot (1/8 pearls), so a stack of dust (8 pearls) will last quite a long time. However, it seems to be disabled by default in most of the FTB packs. It seems that the OP has this enabled, though.

Also, don't forget Xeno's wraith nodes (seems to work about the same way as celestial gateways, but eats enderpearls) and the Mark and Recall spells of Ars Magica, which consume nothing more than mana (although potentially quite a lot, though I haven't tested it- I've also heard that it works across dimensions, but is much more expensive mana-wise) and fit neatly in your spellbook.

Or Mystcraft, for that matter. Linkbooks are cheap, but ONLY work across dimensions, and are only single-use if you're on the fly (and haven't found any following pages). Good for transportation between outposts in different dimensions, though.

There's also vanilla enderpearls, the MPS blink drive, and Ars Magica short-range teleportation spells (blink or something like "Projectile | Mark | Self | Recall"), which can be used for quick travel, but won't bring you directly back home.

Reactions: YX33A

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
There is (last I heard) a config option for the portal gun to use enderpearl dust as fuel upon shooting a portal. I think it uses one dust for each shot (1/8 pearls), so a stack of dust (8 pearls) will last quite a long time. However, it seems to be disabled by default in most of the FTB packs. It seems that the OP has this enabled, though.
The use of dust is enabled by default in Monster. Also dont think they drop at all from dungeon chests.

I quite liked the change tbh as in earlier modpacks it was getting rather OP getting heaps of portal guns in chests and no need to fuel them with anything.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
The use of dust is enabled by default in Monster. Also dont think they drop at all from dungeon chests.

I quite liked the change tbh as in earlier modpacks it was getting rather OP getting heaps of portal guns in chests and no need to fuel them with anything.
In any case, the one nether star needed for a portal gun is probably cheaper than the several nether stars needed for anything and everything ichorium. So, without further experimentation, I'd still prefer the portal gun to celestial gateways, especially when combined with wirelessly-activated portal spawners. Similar functionality, less wither battles.

Oh, another Ars Magica thing: Divine Intervention can be used to teleport to the Overworld spawn point or the last bed you slept in. Also, I wonder if it's possible to automate using a Mark spell in locations like your base or various outposts in different locations, so you can Recall yourself to them after Marking a different location somewhere else. Linkbooks work almost as well and are a lot cheaper than caster blocks, for one, though...

IC2 also has a teleporter block, but I don't see people using it much, because it's expensive on resources and power, and IC2e made everything so much more expensive and annoying to craft.

Blood Magic also has Teleposers that can swap the positions of two blocks, and they work across dimensions, too. They'll also transport entities- if you stand right on top of it, it should teleport you.
I think EnderIO has something similar as well, but I don't remember off the top of my head.

Sync will also let you effectively teleport... sort of... Just throw your inventory into an enderchest before you swap shells, though.

I guess there's not much point in mentioning vanilla Command Blocks, because they aren't available without cheats.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I haven't reached that point yet in KAMI, but if I may mention two things:

(1) Mekanism's Portable Teleporter might be worth considering as an alternative.
(2) When using Portal Gun, I have had infrequent occurrences of chunk-wide terrain displacement. Doesn't happen often, but it can wreck your base if your portal endpoint is in the same chunk.

I'd say Mekanism's device is the easiest to obtain. You just need Osmium, a few diamonds (it may be as few as one, the Metallurgic Infuser uses only a small amount of diamond dust for one pile of refined obsidian), glowstone dust, iron, obsidian and redstone dust, and use two Mekanism machines (which can run on RF) to create the crafting components. You don't even need Ender pearls. Its only downside is that it costs power, though as far as I can tell, not nearly as much as IC2's teleporter.

MystCraft's link books are cheap in resources as well, though it may cost you a few gold ingots until you get the intra-linking panel, which means the fact that the book gets left behind and is lost if you use it in the field may be a consideration.

Last edited:

dwappo

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I'm in Monster so it does require fuel, so I was making that a given for the discussion, sorry about the miscommunication!
You're in Monster? Why not go with teleposers from Blood Magic? they're not that hard to make and can transport people/blocks/tile entities through dimensions.

Pros:
-Somewhat easy to craft
-Upgradable range: 1*1, 3*3, etc
-Can tele a variety of items

Cons:
-Not sure if it uses LP
-Requires you to carry a block/the teleposer to put it in
-you need 2 teleposers

Edit, What I said has already been said lol.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Let me just add that to proceed in TT Kami, once you've unlocked it, is a veritable grindfest. All of the components, the shards, the nether cube, and the essentia for the infusion, it's all not really hard to get, except for the quantities you need. It taxes your patience even if you've automated a few things. I'm beginning to think the person who tries to automate Infusion does it for this.

Reactions: Narc and YX33A