CC to RP2 gateway

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

bigtwisty

Jul 29, 2019
Has anyone come up with a good communication protocol between computercraft and Redpower 2 computers? I could develop it myself, but don't want to reinvent the wheel if I don't have to.

---------------------------------------------------------
A reasonable facsimile of intelligence...

vScourge

Jul 29, 2019
I don't have an answer, but what would be the point? Serious question, I've used CC plenty, but I'm not too hip to RP computers.

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
You could use the colored wires to transmit messages, but that could easily become a pain, as you only have 16 colors to work with.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
I have never bothered with forth before TBH, BUT if you do come up with a bridge, but more specifically a way to control the sortron with lua, then I'll love you for ever.

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
Well, with 8 colors, you could very well communicate...

I mean, computers do it with 1, but the letters and all that are made up from 8 bits signals (2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2 = 256 possibilities).

The major problem in communication between the two is that FORTH is a stack-based language, and Lua is not, so it might be very tricky to do that.
But not impossible, theorically. Good luck to anyone that wants to spend days to tackle this though, because it needs quite a high level in both languages, and a good level in algorithmic.

Evil Hamster

Jul 29, 2019
Not really a fair comparison....plus serial cables actually only have two "paths" that data travels down.

True, but the rest of the cables are used to support the data. Still, it would take somebody WAY smarter than me to figure out a communication protocol to bridge the two mc computer languages.

bigtwisty

Jul 29, 2019
I have never bothered with forth before TBH, BUT if you do come up with a bridge, but more specifically a way to control the sortron with lua, then I'll love you for ever.

This is pretty much why I was asking. That and the ability to import FORTH apps from the web. I'm thinking something like a SPI bus with 8 data lines, using the other 8 for the actual protocol overhead.

You could use the colored wires to transmit messages, but that could easily become a pain, as you only have 16 colors to work with.

Every device in your car communicates over a system called CAN, which uses only 1 signal. It uses 2 wires, but only 1 signal. CAN would have far too much overhead to be useable here though.

---------------------------------------------------------
A reasonable facsimile of intelligence...

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
I'll put that on my list of things to do when I have a month to my self.

But really, it would be incredible useful.