Can't reach to sever error

abuseJUNKEY

Jul 29, 2019
"Options:
1. You can port forward from the router
2. Windows offers port forwarding

I do not do either of these, and do not have a good enough understanding on how to do them, so I suggest using the powers of Google."

Also check your modem brand/model because the one i got from my cable company had a firewall on it and i had to do it there too.

blackarm

Jul 29, 2019
Why are you people telling them to forward their ports? DO NOT FORWARD YOUR PORTS. How are there so many people in a "tech support" section, giving bad advice, from a trusted member none-the-less.

Meldiron

Jul 29, 2019
Why are you people telling them to forward their ports? DO NOT FORWARD YOUR PORTS. How are there so many people in a "tech support" section, giving bad advice.

edit: Oh a *trusted user* said to do that, now I know this entire support forum is going to be awful.
If you've paid for the FTB pack then im afraid you've been ripped off.
The FTB pack is a free modpack that can be downloaded from feed-the-beast.com.
Now go and try to get your money back from whoever it was that scammed you.

blackarm

Jul 29, 2019
If you've paid for the FTB pack then im afraid you've been ripped off.
The FTB pack is a free modpack that can be downloaded from feed-the-beast.com.
Now go and try to get your money back from whoever it was that scammed you.

What are you on about? Not sure if stupid, or just a spam bot.

Meldiron

Jul 29, 2019
No, im just saying that since this subforum is based almost purely on volunteers that can't possibly know everything then it wouldn't hurt to mention things like that without attacking everyone.
If you think you can do a better job yourself then by all means do so.

blackarm

Jul 29, 2019
No, im just saying that since this subforum is based almost purely on volunteers that can't possibly know everything then it wouldn't hurt to mention things like that without attacking everyone.
If you think you can do a better job yourself then by all means do so.

I already did a better job, by typing in bold not to follow the advice. Attacking? Says the twat who made a convoluted "you're acting like you paid for something" comment.

Now, I'm going to stop responding in order to save this forum pages and pages of the off topic garbage you started.

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
Why are you people telling them to forward their ports? DO NOT FORWARD YOUR PORTS. How are there so many people in a "tech support" section, giving bad advice, from a trusted member none-the-less.
Do you have a better suggestion? Because I do not, thus, why I suggested it.

Reactions: Punny Bunny

Florastar

Jul 29, 2019
I already did a better job, by typing in bold not to follow the advice. Attacking? Says the twat who made a convoluted "you're acting like you paid for something" comment.

Now, I'm going to stop responding in order to save this forum pages and pages of the off topic garbage you started.

One of the rules of this forum is to be respectful. I will ask you to follow this rule instead of being rude and disrespectful to people who are simply trying to help.

abuseJUNKEY

Jul 29, 2019
One of the rules of this forum is to be respectful. I will ask you to follow this rule instead of being rude and disrespectful to people who are simply trying to help.

Thanks florastar, i was wondering why blackarm said anything at all except to troll. I would think if you thought the advice was bad you would give better in return.

PS love your avatar flora, and why is red power not in FTB yet? ...

PPS I kid.. i know you're not eloram....

Bråthen

Jul 29, 2019
Port forwarding is for the outside to be forwarded to the inside of the network so Blackarm is right about that and it's a big risk to open ports to your network therefore he wrote the lines in bold. And I don't se any that offending in his first post giving the rest to react as the following. So don't set Port Forwarding when you guys are trying to connect to the outside world, NAT is connecting everything for you already! :)

Connection timeout often is refered to as the host or the local router refuses to let you connect. Since you can se the servers "online" in a regular MC client but not in FTB I should bet it is the local router that is refusing you to connect. Do you have an option to connect directly to your ISP modem or other? If that works I suggests that you should do a factory reset on the router and try behind the router again.

Meldiron

Jul 29, 2019
Port forwarding is for the outside to be forwarded to the inside of the network so Blackarm is right about that and it's a big risk to open ports to your network therefore he wrote the lines in bold. And I don't se any that offending in his first post giving the rest to react as the following. So don't set Port Forwarding when you guys are trying to connect to the outside world, NAT is connecting everything for you already! :)
I fully agree that port forwarding should be done sparingly, but the security risk related to it is very overrated.
A forwarded port that doesn't have an application listening to it is basicly the same as a port that isn't forwarded.
The main problem with port forwarding is that it gives outsiders a hint of what programs you might have on your computer.
For example, if i were to figure out that you have port 6112 forwarded then i'd know that you probably have a blizzard game installed.
And that you probably host games or use their torrent based updater.
Now, if one of those games/applications listening to that port had a severe bug then i could exploit to comprimise the system when and only when the game were running.
Now, considering the launcher only is open a few minutes every day it gives you quite a tricky task if you were trying to exploit a bug in it.
In general, not using an addblocker, visiting sites you'r not sure about, clicking shortened URLs (such as TinyURL) and downloading files from other places then the source (for example the FTBBETAA folder from other places then creeperhost) poses a MUCH greater security risk.

But yes, as you mention should port forwarding only be needed if you'r trying to host something, not if you'r trying to reach something.
I could easily be wrong so if i've missunderstood anything about port forwarding then please feel free to correct me.

As mentioned before i think it's most likely that the problem is caused by one of the two anti virus programs running.
Or that there are two seperate anti virus programs running on the same system which can cause all kinds of wierd conflicts.

Bråthen

Jul 29, 2019
Then do a factory reset on your equipment. You can also login to adminsitrate your Virgin Media Super Hub as for all other routers/gateways. But first try a factory reset...