Problem Can't Keep Up!

Teleclast

Jul 29, 2019
  • What OS are you running?
    • * Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS xenial
  • Are you using minecraft hosting provider or a dedicated/local server not designed for minecraft?
    • dedicated VPS who I've run several times in the past with (SSDNodes), and confirmed running game servers is fine. I've also run Terraria, Starbound, and Factorio servers on it without a problem.
  • What version of FTB are you using? (Dont just say latest tell us the version)
    • FTB Revelation 1.1.0
  • Did you add any mods to the server pack?
    • No
  • What are your server specs?
    • 4 CPU Cores 16GB RAM 80GB SSD
  • A good detailed paragraph about the problem
I've had this issue with the last 3-4 times I run an MC server specifically where I get spammed with
`[19:57:32] [Server thread/WARN]: Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? Running 3980ms behind, skipping 79 tick(s)`
or similar warnings, it rarely leads to anything very serious other than some lag, what I'm running into right now is that no one has even connected to the server yet and on Revelation just freshly installing it I am already getting this error. I've googled a bit and have tried tools (that honestly I've had problems trying to understand well like tickprofiler), and I rarely could find out what was doing the issue that was very fixable for me (usually things like lots of mobs spawning in the sea because of a certain mod, or caverns under me, lighting up usually fixes it)
Far from the first time I've run into this issue, so I've checked a lot of old threads and unfortunately most of them just straight up say their solutions are out of date.

I would be more than happy to do some reading that would help make those numbers from tickprofilers/etc mean something, or maybe there's some other up to date.

In my case is this just an issue of the CPU running it being too weak? I never really see it maxing out when I run `top`, but Minecraft is limited to one core possibly causing this issue for me in this scenario?

• Startup Script
    • The default in Revelations, only thing I did was open settings.sh and set max to 6G