Canopy trees vs Rainbow trees

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Greytusks

Jul 29, 2019
Heya all,

When I was playing in SSP last week (Mindcrack pack), when I planted Canopy Tree Saplings gathered from the Twilight Forest around my base (which was in a village) I got a 50%/50% chance of getting either a Canopy tree growing, or a Rainbow tree, in the 'Overworld'.

Not I am playing on my SMP server (Using Mindcrack v6) and when I plant the Canopy saplings they get me Rainbow trees 100% of the time. Is there a known reason for this? I am trying to surround my hugue lava pit with Canopy trees, but none of the saplings want to cooperate! (darn little buggers, Rainbow trees are cute but it's not what I am looking for!)

Thanks!

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
Weird. I don't have that problem at all.

Did you perhaps add the mod to the Mindcrack pack yourself? Because I'm having a hard time thinking of a cause.

Greytusks

Jul 29, 2019
I am currently using the basic pack without modifications, on the server.

My client has mystcraft added to it however. (used it to make compatibility tests with my beta pack map)

But my personal guess is that it's handled by the server anyway.

There i one thing that is different than most other people though, I beleive. The map is a map that has been running since the pre-alpĥa days, which I've imported and converted to the newest minecraft versions ever since we started on that map over two years ago. The biome info of the area I am working is a Forest which has long ago (years) been striped of all wood to create a large lava crater area.

I don't see why that would be a problem however, unless the Canopy trees are dependent on some biome information that I could be missing on that map?

zbeeblebrox

Jul 29, 2019
I got a 50%/50% chance of getting either a Canopy tree growing, or a Rainbow tree, in the 'Overworld'.

That doesn't sound like intended behavior. When I try planting canopy tree saplings in the overworld in the Mindcrack pack, I get 100% canopy trees. So I'm pretty sure you're experiencing an ID conflict.

Greytusks

Jul 29, 2019
That doesn't sound like intended behavior. When I try planting canopy tree saplings in the overworld in the Mindcrack pack, I get 100% canopy trees. So I'm pretty sure you're experiencing an ID conflict.

Both saplings use the same ID (with different metadatas to separate them). So yours always grow as Canopy trees? I will try a new creative world and see what happens when I grow the canopy trees in it, in case its my map having problems. I guess I will also take a look at the twilight config file and check the saplings ID in there.

Edit: found a solution and gained a piece of Twilight Forest knowledge that I didn't have before! My map was not bugged and I didn't have any ID conflict. It was ...

Canopy saplings that grow by themselves (over time) become Rainbow trees 100% of the time.
Canopy saplings that grow with bonemeal become Canopy trees 100% of the time.

I don't know if it's a bug or a mechanic, but it's a very interesting effect. :p

Reactions: zbeeblebrox

zbeeblebrox

Jul 29, 2019
Edit: found a solution and gained a piece of Twilight Forest knowledge that I didn't have before! My map was not bugged and I didn't have any ID conflict. It was ...

Canopy saplings that grow by themselves (over time) become Rainbow trees 100% of the time.
Canopy saplings that grow with bonemeal become Canopy trees 100% of the time.

I don't know if it's a bug or a mechanic, but it's a very interesting effect. :p

That's actually amazing. It never would have occurred to me that there would be a difference

Scalion

Jul 29, 2019
Hi there
Since a week i can't grow anymore Canopy anymore, either with time or Bone meal, i try on solo doesn't grow either.
Canopy is the only Sapling i want for my landscape arrgg =/

Is there anybody else having this problem (Mindcrack 8.0.1) ?

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
The Twilight trees growing with bone meal and normally is still buggy. It is a work in progress.