Cannot sneak right click in Infinity Lite 1.10

• Tech Support section is for getting help with FTB related problems. If there's a repeatable issue that can be labeled as a bug, then please use the issue tracker for the pack or the app at GitHub issue trackers - If there's no repository for a pack that means that the pack is old and/or will not be updated. Bugs for older packs will not be fixed, unless they are critical.
H

hornsfan01

Title Cannot sneak right click in Infinity Lite 1.10

Launcher Type Curse App

Modpack Infinity Lite 1.10

Modpack version 1.60

Have you modified the pack? No

Link to log file

Details of the issue No action takes place when I hold shift and right-click certain world items. Specifically, I am unable to break/open a Cardboard Box and I am unable to change the mode of Draconic Evolution Energy I/O crystals.
This has happened twice in two consecutive survival mode worlds I have created, one as a multiplayer on a LAN server (that also runs on my computer and that I have been the only player so far) in the version before 1.6.0 and one in a single player world in version 1.6.0.

If I start a New World in FTB Infinity Lite and then switch to creative mode, sneak right clicking works--it opens the cardboard box from Mekanism and it changes the mode of the Draconic I/O crystals. But if I go into my established games and switch to creative mode, sneak right click still DOESN'T work for either of those things.
That's why I started the singleplayer world as a new world once I found the issue in the multiplayer world I was playing. If it worked in a new singleplayer world (even though I had to switch to creative to give me items that use sneak right click for functionality), then why would it stop working? But it has stopped working once I've got several days of playing time in.

I have erased Minecraft and reinstalled with the Curse launcher. I have tried two different keyboards. I have tried remapping sneak to a different key. None of these solve the problem. And I think if it was something external to the game like hardware or a driver or something, then I would have the same problem when I start a new single player world and switch immediately to creative, but I don't--I can sneak right click in a fresh world. But after playing a fresh world, the problem has recurred. And while not being able to open cardboard boxes is an inconvenience, not being able to change mode on I/O energy crystals is a pretty big problem.

I have no idea how to even begin troubleshooting this further.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

hornsfan01

Ok, I finally figured this out. It's not specifically Infinity Lite. The issue occurs even in 1.10.2 with just a few mods added in separately but no modpack.

It turns out that if I have any item in the off-hand/shield slot, I lose the ability to shift-right click and do the following:
In Botania, I cannot remove petals placed in the Petal Apothecary or Mana Altar by shift-right clicking
In Mekanism, I cannot open a Cardboard Box by shift-right clicking
In Draconic Revolution, I cannot change the I/O status of Energy Crystals by shift-right clicking

Using a keystroke logger, I can see that the keys are being communicated correctly from my keyboard to the game. And changing the key binding for sneak does not change this behavior--these things still fail to work if I have something in the off-hand/shield slot and I try to sneak-right click on these items.

However, if I remove the item from the off-hand/shield slot, these actions are available again. When I place an item back into the off-hand/shield slot, I lose the ability once again.
This seems to apply for any item placed into that off-hand/shield slot, not just items from a specific mod.

I can duplicate it by starting a Creative New World with Draconic Revolution (plus it's dependencies, Brandoncore and ChickenLib) as my only added mod, putting something like a stick in the off-hand/shield slot and putting an Draconic Revolution I/O Crystal on the ground, and trying to shift-right click to switch its mode. If anything is in that slot, the Crystal doesn't do anything--it's like it never gets the shift-right click at all.

I can also duplicate it by starting a Creative New World with Botania (and it's dependency Baubles) as my only added mod, putting a stick in the off-hand/shield slot, placing a Petal Apothecary, dumping some water into it from a water bucket, adding a petal with "Q", and then trying to shift-right click to remove it. If the stick is in the off-hand slot, it doesn't work. When the off-hand slot is empty, shift-right clicking works fine.

This is all in 1.10.2 (which I'm using for mod compatibility since some of the mods I want to use are still being updated). No idea if it happens in 1.11.

So yes, of course the obvious solution is to remove any item from this slot (or just not use it) when I want to perform the above actions. This seems to be more of a Minecraft problem than a specific mod problem, but the problem only manifests when trying to use certain mods that depend on shift-right clicking to trigger certain actions. I can't think of anywhere else to post this issue. I have no idea how much support I would find on the Minecraft forums for an issue that affects modded Minecraft, and there's no specific mod that's causing this issue, so I can't really put it into the issue tracker of any specific mod on Curseforge. So I guess I'll just post this here and let it be.

I just wanted to post a follow up in case anyone can duplicate this issue or runs into the same problem. I did a lot of searching online and couldn't find any mention of this issue before, and I've reinstalled Minecraft countless times, even reinstalled my OS once, switched keyboards, erased a lot of save games I had invested a lot of time into, and generally spent a lot of time and grief on this. I hope that if someone else has this issue, this helps them.

Last edited:
Reactions: BMB78
H

hornsfan01

Yeah, it dawned on me later that some mods require that to do certain sneak-right click actions, they require an "empty hand." Well, I thought an empty hand meant no item in the slot that is currently highlighted on your hotbar. No, it apparently means no item in the slot currently highlighted on your hotbar AND no item in the shield slot (which is kind of still an item "in your hand," meaning you don't have the required "empty hand" if you think about it).

So, in retrospect, it makes sense. But until I worked through the problem, I never made the connection between an item being in the shield slot and not having an empty hand. Now that I am aware of exactly what "empty hand" requires, the game is much less frustrating and a lot more fun.

Reactions: BMB78