Cannot Breed Brown Mushroom Spore? (Agricraft, Infinity Evolved)

Brotuulaan

Jan 14, 2018
I needed a LOT of brown mushrooms for some stuff in FTB Infinity Evolved, and I wanted to breed the Agricraft spores to grow them faster. I already had a 10 10 10 potato and 10 10 10 nether wart, so I figured it would go pretty fast.

But to my surprise, I can't figure out how to breed it.

When I'm in the Overworld, the nether wart says it can't grow here. When I'm in the Nether, the potato says it can't grow here. If they can't grow in the same environment, then how can they crossbreed? Is this something that was turned off for IE?

I tried putting blocks above the nether wart, and I tried planting it far away from any lights at night, and it still said the same thing. I commented on an older thread about mushroom farming with mods, and that had been the advice I got over there, so I'm starting a new thread in case something's changed or someone knows the specifics about this pack.

Thanks!

mathwiz617

Apr 29, 2015
It may have something to do with light levels. Netherwart likes dark rooms, IIRC, and potatoes like light. There should be a small range where you can breed them together.

Brotuulaan

Jan 14, 2018
I've tried growing the nether wart in the darkest surface possible, and it wouldn't grow. I guess I'll try putting it in a dark cave or something and try again. That would be dumb since regular nether wart will grow on the surface, but this is Expert Mode.

Brotuulaan

Jan 14, 2018
Just went underground and tried a few different things and finally got it to work. In this instance of Agricraft, nether wart will not grow on the surface bit will grow in dark caves. Potatoes will not grow in dark caves. You have to be in a dark cave and put a light source far enough away from the nether wart but close enough to the potato that it will let them both grow.

I put them in the corner (soul sand/Nether wart, Mycelium, dirt/Potato), dug into the Wall adjacent to the Potato, then dug down and put a torch four blocks below the potato:

Top:

W W H W
N M P W
W W W W

Side:

H W
P H W
D H W
WH W
WH W
WT W

This apparently gives enough light for the potato while blocking enough to the nether wart.

Agricraft makes nether wart more finicky than real nether wart.

SevenMass

Jan 2, 2013
The Netherlands
This apparently gives enough light for the potato while blocking enough to the nether wart.

The parent plants don't need to be growing, they just need to be fully grown.
Just let one parent plant grow fully (or, if possible, use bone meal or watering can or whatever to speed it up) Then change the light, and let the other parent plant grow fully. Then change the light to whatever is best for the child plant.