Cannot Bind to port?! Please help

I

ion529

Okay, so I've spent the whole day trying to get this to work. I'm trying to setup an FTB infinity evolved server on my router and every time it launches i'm getting failed to bind to port.

My Router is a Hitron Technologies CGNV4, I have ported the 25565 port publicly and privately on the local address 192.168.0.150 which is the static local address for my computer that i'm hosting it on. The server refuses to start up. I'm getting the Failed to bind to port error

Using the portfoward.com network utilities application Its telling me that the port is open however using http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ its closed

Am I missing something?

grandrolf

Global moderator
Team Member
Global Moderator
Trusted User
Aug 29, 2014
sweden
If the server fails to bind to a port it's usually because that port is used, an already running instance, a crashed instance that blocked the port - if you're not sure on how to force a process to stop, restart the machine and it should be free.
First get the server running (and then check the port)

Then post /logs/fml-server-latest.log and server.properties if it still fails.

Use paste.feed-the-beast.com and give the links here.

Reactions: ion529
I

ion529

If the server fails to bind to a port it's usually because that port is used, an already running instance, a crashed instance that blocked the port - if you're not sure on how to force a process to stop, restart the machine and it should be free.
First get the server running (and then check the port)

Then post /logs/fml-server-latest.log and server.properties if it still fails.

Use paste.feed-the-beast.com and give the links here.

Thanks for your help,

Okay so i've reinstalled the whole thing, reset my router etc. and now I can start the server succesfully however my friends can't connect to it. I can use Direct Connect and localhost but they cannot connect with my public IP (I don't use a proxy or VPN). What does this mean? Also here are the logs just in case: (The last part was me connecting with localhost) and here is the server.properties in a .txt because Im not allowd upload the .properties for some reason.

Attachments

• fml-server-latest.txt
    2.4 MB · Views: 66
  • server.txt
    682 bytes · Views: 62

grandrolf

Global moderator
Team Member
Global Moderator
Trusted User
Aug 29, 2014
sweden
Good - then you've solved the first part, the server is running and you can connect to it.

Now you need to do 2 more things:
1 - Allow traffic
Open for incoming traffic on your local firewall on port 25565
If you use the built in windows one, you can do this:

Open PowerShell as administrator (start menu, search for powershell, right click it and press "open as administrator" and then allow it to open as admin)
then paste this line:
New-NetFirewallRule -DisplayName "Allow 25565 for Minecraft Server" -Direction Inbound -Action Allow -Profile Any -LocalPort 25565 -Protocol TCP
And press enter.
This will add a new firewall rule that allows incoming traffic on port 25565 and sets the name to "Allow 25565 for Minecraft Server"

If you want to check it or do this via gui, press win+r and type
wf.msc
and press OK

Then select Inbound Rules and select New Rule...

2 - Portforward
If you did this already, it might work now - otherwise redo the portforward on your router.
It's the port 25565 that should be forwarded to your machine, so you need to know the local ip address of your machine.

In the powershell prompt, type this:
Get-NetIPAddress -AddressFamily IPv4 | format-table
Usually the one starting with 192.xxxxx

You might want to activate white-list on your server, set white-list=false to white-list=true in server.properties
(ops are whitelisted without adding them to the file, add players from console or in-game as op- /whitelist add USERNAME - without / from console)

Hope this helps you out