Can you automate AE2 Quartz Grindstone?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
but one has to marvel at how ingenious we get in order to avoid clicking on the damned grindstone!

yotus

Jul 29, 2019
lazyness ist the main motivation for almost all the inventions the humans created :)

yotus

Jul 29, 2019

there you go, a mouse key

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
When I was playing AgS with the Ex Nihilo sifter, I filled my inventory with gravel/sand/dust, re-mapped the 'Use' key to the spacebar, and weighed it down for ~30 mins while I AFK'd.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
When I was playing AgS with the Ex Nihilo sifter, I filled my inventory with gravel/sand/dust, re-mapped the 'Use' key to the spacebar, and weighed it down for ~30 mins while I AFK'd.
In Crash Landing at least you don't necessarily have to sift dirt to get ocbblestone. You can make a cobblegen with water and pyrotheum.
All this manual sifting really annoyed me in AgS.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Mekanism crystals into TE dusts (haven't checked other packs). Which changes the chain to ore->slurry->clean slurry->crystal->dust->ingot rather than ore->slurry->clean slurry->crystal->shard->clump->dirty dust->dust->ingot.

Haven't played the pack so I can't be certain, but this looks more like a slight derp with grindstone recipes/ore dictionary stuff rather than a design feature.
You may want to poke your pack dev.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
So yea, if something encourages you to build a contraption for weighing down your mouse button (and possibly damage it) then it is definitely too grindy. No pun intended.

Reactions: MigukNamja

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
That reminds me, I should toss in Ex Nihilo and Co. into the pack I'm playing and try to make that free ore farm again. Get an XU cobble gen up to a good amount of speed, grind the cobble into sand (my favourite is with Mek because speed upgrades and elite factories), and use some nice trickery that I shan't reveal to make an auto-sieve. Multiply a few dozen times, and boom. Never need anything ever again.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
That reminds me, I should toss in Ex Nihilo and Co. into the pack I'm playing and try to make that free ore farm again. Get an XU cobble gen up to a good amount of speed, grind the cobble into sand (my favourite is with Mek because speed upgrades and elite factories), and use some nice trickery that I shan't reveal to make an auto-sieve. Multiply a few dozen times, and boom. Never need anything ever again.

Yeah, Ex Nihilo is good, and it's also very easy to abuse. TE3 + Ex Nihilo is waaaaaay to easy to abuse. In Ags, I didn't even bother setting up an MFR laser, and I stopped playing fairly early in the quest line since I had pretty much:

all-the-things.jpg

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, Ex Nihilo is good, and it's also very easy to abuse. TE3 + Ex Nihilo is waaaaaay to easy to abuse. In Ags, I didn't even bother setting up an MFR laser, and I stopped playing fairly early in the quest line since I had pretty much:
I too had all the things, except for dirt and cobblestone
Those two took the longest to get enough of >.<

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
A great little "mod to make" solution would be to place the grindstone in the centre of a square trench, then tie a donkey to the grind stone crank and get it to walk around in circles (well, squares).

ark-technology-ox_mill_small.jpg

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
A great little "mod to make" solution would be to place the grindstone in the centre of a square trench, then tie a donkey to the grind stone crank and get it to walk around in circles (well, squares).
Lol that mental picture :D
And your picture is broken.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Lol that mental picture :D
And your picture is broken.
Odd, works for me. I'll upload the pic (it's just a serious version of the same idea, as I do suck with words).
ark-technology-ox_mill_small.jpg
Well, we already have a mod with a pig on a treadmill. Time to harness animal power!

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Now I can see it.
That indeed would make some kind of early-game feel :D
If only leads would not cost slimeballs. One usually doesn't have those early on.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
That ... would actually be a good idea. A large, space-taking up grinder. You can either run around yourself (and get very dizzy), or attach a succession of animals to is (sheep would be exceptionally slow and dumb, cows would be a little quicker, donkeys could be the fastest stable, and horses could be incredibly fast, but break the device from excessive wear during extended use).

Bonus points for a brand/cattle prod for a short spike in productivity.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
They aren't that hard to get, even without several mods adding their own recipes and ore-dict equivalents.
But not very early game when you're still in the stone age (unless you're lucky to spawn near a swamp). I agree that they're easy to get your hands on later down the line.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
But not very early game when you're still in the stone age (unless you're lucky to spawn near a swamp). I agree that they're easy to get your hands on later down the line.
They're more adventure-based. If you explore for very long, you'll usually find some, but if you focus on getting your tech on, it can take a while.