Can someone help me out with this

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

PontiacGTP99

Jul 29, 2019
So everytime I'm trying to play FTB direwolf20 and I'm on my server it keeps telling me #########GL error###### @post render
1285: out of memory. and it just keeps going with this message, can anyone help me to determine WTF is going on, it's seriously annoying as all get out.

GearSB

Jul 29, 2019
I also have this problem. Can't play for more than a few minutes before lagging so bad I have to ctrl-alt-delet out of the game.

I've tried altering Java's memory parameters both in FTB advance tab and through Java VM itself. Doesn't make any difference.

PontiacGTP99

Jul 29, 2019
I can't figure it out, I recently updated my graphics card but that seemed to help on some parts but my friend is having this trouble over and over again.

Ehrlingby

Jul 29, 2019
You want to edit the PermGen allocation parameter. Just add this line to the "Additional JVM parameters" -XX:MaxPermSize=256M

You're welcome.

wildc4rd

Jan 29, 2013
I'm getting the same error under Debian, can I just add the same parameter?

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, Java is cross-platform.

Also, worst thing that can happen is that the game client won't launch (it won't even begin to touch your save files). In which case you simply remove the parameter in the launcher again and you're not worse off than before.

wildc4rd

Jan 29, 2013
Tried this last night,.still getting the error. It has only been since the patch a week or so ago, what changed?

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
More mods, meaning more RAM usage.

The OutOfMemoryException is usually when the programs completely fills up the allocated RAM.

If possible for your computer, you might want to bump the RAM allocation in the launcher.

GearSB

Jul 29, 2019
Or bump it down. I reset my memory to 256, and it lasts much longer than at 1gb.

Jesse Benoit

Jul 29, 2019
I have just gotten a new computer.
Windows 8 64bit
Intel Core i7-3632QM 2.20GHz
8Gb Ram
running 32 bit java.
Tried this:
You want to edit the PermGen allocation parameter. Just add this line to the "Additional JVM parameters" -XX:MaxPermSize=256M
Didn't work
also tried it at 516...still didn't work
I know this thread is a couple months old but perhaps if we build on it we can fix this. It is getting a taaaad frustrating since one of the main reasons i upgraded computers was so that i could actually play FTB with the settings turned up and not be surrounded by a particle-less fog with no shading :)

I really appreciate any help you smarter minecrafters can provide me!!

edit:
Also just tried the instructions outlined here
http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/detected-leaking-worlds-in-memory.12098/page-7#post-157630

Didn't work

Jesse Benoit

Jul 29, 2019
I thought that the launcher didnt work with 64 bit.... When i tried installing it i couldnt see the game loading. Itnwas just a black window that i could guess-click on things.

Jesse Benoit

Jul 29, 2019
Ok finally had a chance to try it.

Reinstalled 64bit Java, Upped the allocation to 3Gb. And my parameters are -XX:MaxPermSize=516M

Its been running steady for a couple hours now and thats by far a record on the new laptop. aahhhhh im back in business!

I might try to up the MaxPermSize to 1028 and see if that makes a difference in the game or not. Thank you guys. I didnt realize that i needed to up the ram. Its my first time with a 64bit system :)

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Nothing to do with upping the heap or permgen sizes. Those are not total RAM allocated anyway, but rather just a small part of java's total memory consumption.

Simply running a heavily modded Minecraft client with 32bit java fails. Some mods are heavy enough to do this on their own. Try terrafirmacraft for example. With only Forge, PlayerAPI and TFC installed, Minecraft will crash and burn within 2 minutes of gameplay on my system, guaranteed, 100% of the time. If I simply use 64bit java instead, it works fine without a hitch. Without any java arguments set.

Generally, try using the mininmum amount of java arguments (and memory allocation) necessary to make your client run, unless you really know what you're doing. Many things will actually decrease performance if set incorrectly.

For reference, my standard arguments string is: -Xms256M -Xmx768M -XX:MaxPermSize=128m -XX:UseSSE=3 -XX:+AggressiveOpts -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+CMSIncrementalMode

The last three of which are set by the FTB launcher automatically, and the last two of which are redundant if you use java 7, because CMSGC is on by default then. MaxPermSize default is 64, and I doubled it for safety, but it certainly doesn't need any more. UseSSE=3 directs java to specifically target the capabilities of my CPU architecture when it does runtime compilation, though I have no idea whether or not that's on by default. Finally, my heap size settings are 256 minimum, 768 maximum. I have yet to see my client need more than 600 in the ingame F3 screen.