Can connect to localhost but not though IP.

• Tech Support section is for getting help with FTB related problems. If there's a repeatable issue that can be labeled as a bug, then please use the issue tracker for the pack or the app at GitHub issue trackers - If there's no repository for a pack that means that the pack is old and/or will not be updated. Bugs for older packs will not be fixed, unless they are critical.
S

Samsei

Title Can connect to localhost but not though IP.

Launcher Type Twitch Desktop App

Modpack Universal: Interdimensional Escape

Modpack version 1.7.10 - 2.3.5

Have you modified the pack? Yes

Link to log file No error appears in the log file for refused connection.

Details of the issue Changelog:
Edited certain enchantment IDs due to clashes.
Added HardcoreDarkness to both client and server.

I can connect through localhost, but when I try to use my IP, it returns Internal Exception: io.netty.handler.codec.DecoderException: java.io.IOException: Bad packet id 84
I have run this server before with my friends, using the same modpack and mods, and they could connect fine, but this time they are getting the same error as above. I have checked both forge versions for client and server are the same, made sure all mod versions are the same, and have done a clean reinstall of both server and client.

I have checked the log files, and no error on the server side has appeared for refusing the connection.

(I wasn't sure which forum to put this under, sorry.)

Last edited by a moderator:

grandrolf

Global moderator
Team Member
Global Moderator
Trusted User
Aug 29, 2014
sweden
Modpack Universal: Interdimensional Escape

Not a FTB pack.

I can connect through localhost, but when I try to use my IP
You cannot use the public ip-address to connect to yourself. If it's the same machine then you use localhost or 127.0.0.1, if it's another machine on your local network, use the IP address on the local network. Everyone else that you want to allow on the server that's outside your network - those connect using the public IP (you need to port forward and open in firewalls).

You can use this to check if your server is open from the outside:
https://dinnerbone.com/minecraft/tools/status/

S

Samsei

You cannot use the public ip-address to connect to yourself.

You can, I have done it multiple times with different server versions.
I found the issue - the router I'm using allows you to redirect ports from external to internal, mistyped a number in the local port.