Mod Feedback [By Request] RotaryCraft Suggestions

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
How about the default setting for the speed is the minimum it can go (ie: fastest by default).
?

Or alternatively, if disabled while powered, let us edit the value.
As I explained earlier, the value is clamped to infinity when it is unpowered. Bypassing that means bypassing the bounds-checking code entirely.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
As I explained earlier, the value is clamped to infinity when it is unpowered. Bypassing that means bypassing the bounds-checking code entirely.

While receiving power it can be enabled or disabled, so why can't we edit the value while it is disabled with power?

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
Which smacks of cheese, since it should be the OTHER way around.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
....Because it checks the inputted value against what is "allowed", and anything less than infinity is not allowed when the input speed is zero.
I'm trying to picture me explaining this design decision to a prospective client. Its a funny picture :p

I'm for once not trying to give you a hard Reika but this is an instance where the user says "......are you kidding me? Just make it fucking happen, I don't care about infinities or dividing by zero, or calculus, or any other damn thing. I just want to press a button and not die when I use the thing."

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
....Because it checks the inputted value against what is "allowed", and anything less than infinity is not allowed when the input speed is zero.

I think we're misunderstanding each other. I understand it requires power to calculate the minimum valid value. When you right click on the controller while it is receiving power, it has a "Enable/Disable" button. If you disable it, it hides the value textbox so you can't edit it and it spawns nothing but the input power is still being received. That's what I'm asking. While it is powered, and if it is disabled using the gui button, can I edit the value? The power is present so you can calculate the minimum.

It seems silly that I'm dancing around trying not to die just so I can change a GUI value because it can only be edited while actively spawning monsters.

If I was really asking for the world, I'd request that it be able to be powered directly from the top. Every mob spawner I've ever made has a 20 block drop, and I'd prefer it have the spawner hanging from the ceiling by shafts so nothing spawns on top of it...

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I think we're misunderstanding each other. I understand it requires power to calculate the minimum valid value. When you right click on the controller while it is receiving power, it has a "Enable/Disable" button. If you disable it, it hides the value textbox so you can't edit it and it spawns nothing but the input power is still being received. That's what I'm asking. While it is powered, and if it is disabled using the gui button, can I edit the value? The power is present so you can calculate the minimum.

It seems silly that I'm dancing around trying not to die just so I can change a GUI value because it can only be edited while actively spawning monsters.

If I was really asking for the world, I'd request that it be able to be powered directly from the top. Every mob spawner I've ever made has a 20 block drop, and I'd prefer it have the spawner hanging from the ceiling by shafts so nothing spawns on top of it...
Have you tried lighting the area around the spawner?

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
As requested, seeing as lubricant is in fact an oil:
55m1qPs.gif

JoshBogs

Jul 29, 2019
I've got a suggestion for RoC that was sparked with all this lube talk. Kind of a big change up but fits rather well with the mod theme.

Canola is a well established source of making lubricant and as far as I know it is the only way aside from MFR oil. If we consider grinding canola as a tier 1 method, since the method doesn't change throughout the progression, perhaps we can introduce a bit more advanced tier 2 method.

Lubricant can also come from oil and RoC does have a machine that converts it. MFR has a method of oil refinery but it is in no way close to how its done in the real life.

May I suggest a boiler and cracking tower addition that would allow us to break oil down into liquids we could use. Reference link here.
If this were to be implemented I could tell it would require a few things:
- Alleviate MFR oil dependencies by implementing oil wells into RoC
- Add a oil boiler block to heat the oil to 600C. heating methods in mod already
- Add a three meter tall cracking tower for outputs (simplified) from lightest to heaviest- gasoline, jet fuel, lubricant
- 1 new liquid - heated oil to go from boiler to cracking tower
It would be a pain to have to cool the liquids so maybe they come out cold. As a fan of multiblocks it would be awesome if the cracking tower was one.

Surprisingly "cracking" was never mentioned in this thread or over at the MCFourms. What does everyone think? I find it realistic and a fun thing to do.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
If we consider grinding canola as a tier 1 method,

I think that's the key here. Canolga grinding and centrifuging is kind of a first tier to lubricant production. Given the high consumption rate of later machines, it would be nice to introduce more tiers.

Either adding new methods for processing could be useful (ie: cracking), or some form of powered lubricant refinement (ie: 5:1 ratio of lube to refined lube, requiring a MW of power or so, and machines which consume lube consume significantly less refined lube).

Maybe use mercury as a component? I like this tiering discussing either way.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
I think this has some potential; given that it involves heating/boiling flammable liquids under pressure. [balancing pressure-temperature against fluid flow could prove very interesting]

If you want oil production; then potentially fracking is an option- as it could be implemented without modifying the terrain gen. [pumping high pressure water into the bedrock layer to extract oil]

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I think this has some potential; given that it involves heating/boiling flammable liquids under pressure. [balancing pressure-temperature against fluid flow could prove very interesting]

If you want oil production; then potentially fracking is an option- as it could be implemented without modifying the terrain gen. [pumping high pressure water into the bedrock layer to extract oil]
Curious, would this be a MFR laser-drill type thing, where the source is essentially infinite?

1M Industries

Jul 29, 2019
I've got a suggestion for RoC that was sparked with all this lube talk. Kind of a big change up but fits rather well with the mod theme.

Canola is a well established source of making lubricant and as far as I know it is the only way aside from MFR oil. If we consider grinding canola as a tier 1 method, since the method doesn't change throughout the progression, perhaps we can introduce a bit more advanced tier 2 method.

Lubricant can also come from oil and RoC does have a machine that converts it. MFR has a method of oil refinery but it is in no way close to how its done in the real life.

May I suggest a boiler and cracking tower addition that would allow us to break oil down into liquids we could use. Reference link here.
If this were to be implemented I could tell it would require a few things:
- Alleviate MFR oil dependencies by implementing oil wells into RoC
- Add a oil boiler block to heat the oil to 600C. heating methods in mod already
- Add a three meter tall cracking tower for outputs (simplified) from lightest to heaviest- gasoline, jet fuel, lubricant
- 1 new liquid - heated oil to go from boiler to cracking tower
It would be a pain to have to cool the liquids so maybe they come out cold. As a fan of multiblocks it would be awesome if the cracking tower was one.

Surprisingly "cracking" was never mentioned in this thread or over at the MCFourms. What does everyone think? I find it realistic and a fun thing to do.
I like this, however I don't think that three meters is sufficient size, as I have seen distilleries and fracking/oil wells in real life, and they are a tad bit bigger than that. Aside from that, I like it.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Curious, would this be a MFR laser-drill type thing, where the source is essentially infinite?
That would be easier to implement, but non or semi-infinite would be more interesting and realistic
either as oil abundance drops, so more power is needed to extract/"go deeper".
or fracking itself destroys bedrock; with the fracking unit having an infinite range.​