Mod Feedback [By Request] RotaryCraft Suggestions

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
The ECU is also far less efficient on turbine engines as of v1 or v2.

I was pleasantly surprised to see how efficient I could get with ECUs, but if the fuel use doubled it would still be fair. I thought it was wild I can run a gas turbine for 30 hours on 64 buckets of fuel, and get nonstop 4MW or 16 MW (I forget which % I had it set to, but it was low output). I've been very pleased with jet fuel this time through, combined with the ECU I can run many loads at reasonable power with excellent fuel economy.

Two minor bugs to report in v25z, but may still be there in the latest.

First, if you place an ECU, then put an engine on top, you cannot reliably set the efficiency or speed. Break the ECU and place it under and engine that is already placed and it works much better. Wish that you could check the % efficiency with the transducer instead of changing it back around with the screwdriver.

Second, the pneumatic item pump. If you have it on and break the container it is pushing into, it spams the console like crazy. Replace the container without turning it off, and the spam stops and the pump works pushing into the new container, but you'll see the pump on Opis as the highest consumer with 6-8 ms (yes, 6-8000 usec). Two of these were causing major lag where I replaced the output to a void chest with a nullifier without power cycling the item pump.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I was pleasantly surprised to see how efficient I could get with ECUs, but if the fuel use doubled it would still be fair. I thought it was wild I can run a gas turbine for 30 hours on 64 buckets of fuel, and get nonstop 4MW or 16 MW (I forget which % I had it set to, but it was low output). I've been very pleased with jet fuel this time through, combined with the ECU I can run many loads at reasonable power with excellent fuel economy.

Two minor bugs to report in v25z, but may still be there in the latest.

First, if you place an ECU, then put an engine on top, you cannot reliably set the efficiency or speed. Break the ECU and place it under and engine that is already placed and it works much better. Wish that you could check the % efficiency with the transducer instead of changing it back around with the screwdriver.

Second, the pneumatic item pump. If you have it on and break the container it is pushing into, it spams the console like crazy. Replace the container without turning it off, and the spam stops and the pump works pushing into the new container, but you'll see the pump on Opis as the highest consumer with 6-8 ms (yes, 6-8000 usec). Two of these were causing major lag where I replaced the output to a void chest with a nullifier without power cycling the item pump.
Try to replicate those in v2.

Omega Haxors

Jul 29, 2019
I was hysterical to find out you can safely dispose of nuclear waste in a Railcraft void chest. Suddenly my giant reactor went from a huge looming problem to almost free energy. Now it can run half breeder half plutonium without any worries of waste.

The reason I brought it up is because RoC has a soft-dependence on Railcraft (for Coal Coke/bonus steel) you would think that such exploit would be considered.

Perhaps nuclear waste that's deleted/destroyed by anything, outside of creative mode, causes ambient radiation similar to a nuclear meltdown. That way you can't just cheat by storing it within your ME, vaporizing it with electricity, or throwing it in lava.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
Reika already has many methods to try and prevent it from being destroyed, but he can't make other mods enforce those restrictions. Play honest. ;]

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
The reason I brought it up is because RoC has a soft-dependence on Railcraft (for Coal Coke/bonus steel)
What are you talking about? RailCraft coal coke is not usable in the RC blast furnace.

Perhaps nuclear waste that's deleted/destroyed by anything, outside of creative mode, causes ambient radiation similar to a nuclear meltdown. That way you can't just cheat by storing it within your ME, vaporizing it with electricity, or throwing it in lava.
There is no way to trigger this.

Omega Haxors

Jul 29, 2019
What are you talking about? RailCraft coal coke is not usable in the RC blast furnace.

Oh. I thought I read somewhere in the changelog that coal coke was required for bonus steel. Now upon doing some more research I find out that RotaryCraft has its own coal coke. Fail.

There is no way to trigger this.

I suppose you're right. Perhaps there could be some way to encourage players to dispose of nuclear waste properly, if a punishment is not possible.

It could work like ReactorCraft steam where it's only handled by the mod's native transport system rather than being an item. Until then I'm going to be voiding all my nuclear waste. Muahahahaha.

Omega Haxors

Jul 29, 2019
This makes waste spills impossible.

You could easily make the waste transfer pipes (or whatever system you come up with) to have a chance to rupture, spilling out radiation and possibly corium.

I mean the existing liquid pipes already can rupture and I've lost a few of mine to careless pumping. :p

EyeDeck

Apr 16, 2013
I have to ask, is the LN2 consumption of the tokamak tuned correctly? Being well into a 1.7.10 world, and most of the way through my third survival tokamak, I'm finding that the tokamak is consuming way more than the 3 buckets/second it was introduced as. I'm up to 9 refrigeration units operating full tilt at 1 operation per tick, 16 MW each, and I'm still nowhere near enough coolant production to adequately cool the toroid magnets. Am I intended to have to build dozens of max speed refrigeration units and fluid crystallizers to operate a fusion reactor?

Last edited:

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Apparently now one microturbine is not enough to get a friction heater to 1350 °C. It caps out at 1345 °C no matter what the ambient temperature is. 35 °C or 80 °C don't seem to make any difference. That change doesn't make any sense to me. I had to use two microturbines to get sintered tungsten o_O

Last edited:

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Apparently now one microturbine is not enough to get a friction heater to 1350 °C. It caps out at 1345 °C no matter what the ambient temperature is. 35 °C or 80 °C don't seem to make any difference. That change doesn't make any sense to me. I had to use two microturbines to get sintered tungsten o_O
This is fixed in v3.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019

That doesn't sound so bad. ;]

Neat tip! If you play on a finite water world and want to use steam power, put 4 reservoirs open to the sky next to your engine. Every time it rains they fill up, and the engines will run for quite a while!

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
That doesn't sound so bad. ;]

Neat tip! If you play on a finite water world and want to use steam power, put 4 reservoirs open to the sky next to your engine. Every time it rains they fill up, and the engines will run for quite a while!
And several chunks of them if you are running a nuclear reactor. Or you could just use a DPA. :p

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
And several chunks of them if you are running a nuclear reactor. Or you could just use a DPA. :p

Muahaha! I could actually setup a rain machine to force it to rain all the time, and use reservoirs for the reactor! Nevermind monsters will never die, we expect that. ;]