Buying items from villagers

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Zerro

Jul 29, 2019
So I decided to kidnap some villagers and hold them hostage at my house. These villagers sell emeralds, proven frames, apiaries, honey combs.

I'm having problems trying to buy more items from these villagers after I had made initial purchases. I'm assuming that they take time to restock their inventory but it's been about 16hrs with the chunk loaded and I haven't been able to buy anymore items. I was wondering if I have to wait longer or if there is something else I need to do to get them to restock their inventory... or can you only buy from them once and that's it?

Thanks

Zerro0713

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
You have to trade their last offer in the list to restock the other trades. When the last offer runs out the villager will never trade again after it runs out of other stuff.

Zerro

Jul 29, 2019
What do you mean by 'last offer'?

I did notice that they restock if I purchase the second item for sale (if they sell more than one item)

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
The last offer is the last item they have for trade when you click the arrow to the right. I don't know how to word it more clearly, I thought I was pretty clear about that already.

Zerro

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah I noticed the last offer when trying to find this information on the minecraft wiki. So if a villager only sells one item, then they become useless after I purchase everything from them?

villager.jpg

ItharianEngineering

Jul 29, 2019
No, after you buy the last offer they should open up a new offer when you try to trade with them again, along with restocking old sales.

Jay Cee

Jul 29, 2019
They have only a certain amount of trades, once you have gone through the final one and that it has run ou of stock, that is it for that villager.

ahh ninja'd

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
Un an unrelated topic, how does one go about kidnapping villagers?

I thought of one idea. you'd have to make a long house to your home, and then put a door on each end. Then, you'd get the villagers to go through (they LOVE doors) and break the door. Then they'd try to get through the other door, so you'd walk them right to your home. I guess this place would technically have to classify as a home, I'm not sure of those classifications, though.

How did you do it? Did you just live close to some?

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
You can also do vanilla kidnap using minecarts. Nether portals were also fixed to teleport minecarts.

Zerro

Jul 29, 2019
Un an unrelated topic, how does one go about kidnapping villagers?

I thought of one idea. you'd have to make a long house to your home, and then put a door on each end. Then, you'd get the villagers to go through (they LOVE doors) and break the door. Then they'd try to get through the other door, so you'd walk them right to your home. I guess this place would technically have to classify as a home, I'm not sure of those classifications, though.

How did you do it? Did you just live close to some?

I used MystCraft portals and pushed the dude through. The Gravity Gun didn't seem to work because I'd put the villager in the portal, you'd hear the Mystcraft teleport noise and see the animation but the guy would still be in your area

Honza8D

Jul 29, 2019
i waited till night and then tried to find zombie villagers. They are quite common actually. Then i lured zombie villagers to their prison and cured them (throw weaknes potion at them then give them golden apple, they will be cured in a day). When you have 2 you just breed them.

ThemsAllTook

Jul 29, 2019
They have only a certain amount of trades, once you have gone through the final one and that it has run ou of stock, that is it for that villager.

I don't think this is quite true - I've had situations where I've traded the same item thousands of times with the same villager, and they never run out of stock. There is a trick to it, though. Here's what I've observed:

- A villager starts with a single trade available.

- After some number of trades of a particular item (always greater than 1, average probably 7 or so), that trade will be temporarily disabled.

- Trading the rightmost item a villager offers will both renew all previous offers, and have a chance of either making a new trade available (if not all offers are unlocked for that villager), or giving a better price for an already offered trade.

- Here's the trick: If you trade too many of the rightmost item a villager offers in a single transaction, that item can become out of stock without a new offer being unlocked. Their inventory is renewed after every transaction in which the rightmost item is traded (a transaction is completed by closing the trade window and waiting until you see particles around the villager). Unless I want to take the risk of locking out a villager's last trade and being unable to do any more with him, I always trade only a single item of the rightmost offer in a transaction. You can trade as many of a previous item as the villager will allow you without running the risk of permanently losing the option to trade it again.

- If all available trades for the villager are unlocked, you can trade the max number of times on the rightmost item without ever losing the trade or having to trade anything else... I think. It's possible I've just been lucky so far and this can lock you out, but I've done a large number of trades this way without ever seeing it happen.

These observations were made with Minecraft 1.4.2. It's possible for mechanics to have changed since then, but as far as I know they're all still accurate.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
I belive ThemsAllTook is correct. Many times in my Vannila worlds I would kidnap villages and make little bazzar plaza for them. I never had them lock me out as long as I basicly did what ThemsAllTook has said.