Buying A New Computer Advice Needed!

zrt223

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, so to begin I am planning on buying a new computer personally I want it for gaming, however, it may need to be used for schoolwork, Photoshop, and even recording software. I am basically asking for any advice as I know little to none about pc's. I plan on building one through the help of few friends so no comments saying "why are building a pc when you don't know anything about pc's to begin with." Anyways I if anyone could list the parts that I would need to buy (like all parts etc.) or link me to videos that could help me get a better understanding on what I would need to buy (and yes I know about newegg). Please any help would be great. I am also looking to start recording / editing any advice on what programs to use links on how to use them would also be appreciated. Also the prices for the pc parts and recording software would be nice as even though I don't have a budget at the moment an idea on what I will be spending would be nice. Along with pc parts I would also like advice on what keyboard / mouse / headset to use along with there prices. I have a lot of demands and am requesting a lot of help as I would really like to begin recording and building a new pc asap. Also, please try to keep technological terms to a minimal as I am not the most techy kind of person. Thank you so much for any advice / help / links that anyone can supply!
Sorry for being so vague and confusing for anyone viewing this please post any questions you may have so I can clarify. Thanks!

Last edited:

statphantom

Jul 29, 2019
Its hard to build a computer if you know little about them not because its hard, its not really, but because you need to know what all individual parts do, what is cost effective, and what is compatible while what, and also how much do you want to spend. No matter your answer building a PC is still more cost effective then buying one. As an example I build my intel based computer using $1,800 AUD (Australian dollars nearly equal to American dollars) and it runs FTB Unleashed max settings far render distance at 200 FPS (limited to 200) while running my FTB server on the same PC and media server while playing media files from it also. it took 120 "NUKES" to lag the server even the slightest, didn't disconnect the server just lagged it.

One thing to keep in mind is bottle-necking. if you have a GTX titan graphics card but only a i3 CPU it wouldn't run up to standards as the graphics card would be waiting for the CPU to make certain calculation. it wouldn't drop it to the speed of the CPU but it does hinder it noticeably.

I would start by determining if you want an Intel based M/B or MSI. Intel products are more expensive but also has better support and work much better when paired with other Intel products where MSI products are good for 3rd party modified products, like ASUS. making it a bit more varied but usually just boosting low end products so they are usually cheaper. Also although 4th gen Intel products are just released I would not buy them and stick with 3rd gen instead. 4th gen isn't just twice the price it also has only a slight increase in performance then gen 3 products.

After that you want to get your CPU. I will use Intel products as an example as I have more experience with them. your CPU is Primarily used for calculations so things like video rendering will be heavily based of your CPU. since you don't know to much about computers i suggest getting (if you choose Intel) one with the K suffix, this means it's pre-overclocked. T suffix is power saver but reduces performance I suggest staying away from these ones. for the amount of cores you want, getting more then 4 cores is nearly pointless, there is hardly any programs/games that benefit from more then 4 cores so you do want 4 cores, but don't take CPU's with more then 4 cores as a priority. Also the speed you want is measured in Ghz. to not go into to much details you can just say that the Ghz x number of cores = total speed. (This is completely vague and not accurate but its the best representation for someone with no computer knowledge) the most cost effective would the the i5's as the i7's are ~ 25% better but cost double or triple. Also make sure its memory type is 1333/1600 (this is the speed of the ram it supports).

Now on to ram, contrary to popular belief, size of ram is NOT the most important thing, speed is. you want to make sure to get DDR3 1333 or 1600 then look at the size, if you have a 32bit OS the max ram it supports is 4Gig everything else is wasted, so make sure to get a 64bit OS as it has a lot more benefits over 32bit OS, not just increased RAM support.

If you want gaming you need to get a graphics card, make sure you have a Motherboard with pcie (pci-express) x16 bus available as all the good graphics cards need at least x8, but since its no extra cost for x16 might as well get it for future compatibility. As for the graphics card itself its hard to determine what you need, just MAKE SURE its current gen, DDR5 RAM, and depending on how many monitors you want and if your extending displays or not, you only need 1Gig (2 to be safe) when using 1 or 2 monitors, but if you want to run something like eyefinity gaming you would need 3Gig or more depending on the resolution, might even need 2 graphics cards hooked together in SLI or Crossfire (its just joining 2 graphics cards together to make it act like 1 super one). apart from that 2gigs ram is more then enough just again makes sure its DDR5 and current gen.

The power supply you don't need to worry to much about, just make sure it has the right connections for your M/B (connections for certain graphics cards can be bought separately and don't need to worry about). Computers don't take as much power as people think, all you need to do is make sure its at least 350watts, try for 500-550watts with a graphics card to be safe. the gold rating ones are the best but don't need to worry to much about it, if you want a very clean set up the full modular power supply allow you to take out unused cords from the power supply but they cost a bit more.

as with monitors, mice, keyboards, speakers etc. they are all personal preference, just make sure to get monitors with the ports your graphics card has. Try and get one with DVI or DisplayPort. HDMI also works but i wouldn't recommend it.

hope I helped

zrt223

Jul 29, 2019
Statphantom, thank you so much it was very informative and extremely helpful, being only 18 I don't have a large amount of money to spend, but since my father works for Intel I can get a few parts extremely discounted and even possibly free, I know for a fact I can get a free core i7 processor, and even though you said its no worth it, is it worth it if it is free? Also what is bottle-necking? Also, a lot of this terminology is difficult for me to understand, assuming that a lot of these terms pertain to Intel products maybe my father could help me better understand, also would you be available for contact like through skype so we could over in more detail on what to buy and what each part does etc. Once again thank you so much for spending all this time to type this as it really did improve my next to nothing knowledge about pc's. I am really hoping to better understand them and maybe go into a computer science or related major in college. But once again thank you so much are you are probably one of the few people willing to spend the time to type all this. The only thing I ask other than for a future way to contact you is if you have any experience with recording / editing / programming as I am trying to better understand that as well as record videos once I get the new pc in the next few months. Also I wasn't able to understand many of these terms, again another reason why I would like to discuss in further detail. And once again THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

PS: For monitor setups how does that work exactly I mean I am assuming most people use at most 2 right? Also, when you said 1-2 gigs for an extra monitor is that additional from the current ram? Thanks!

PSS: Can you explain in more detail the power supply / usage, and how much it would cost to run your pc or a pc like yours? Because I don't want to run up the electric bill.

PSSS: What exactly is the pro's and con's to overclocking and what is bottle-necking? Sorry for all the questions!

Again Thanks So Much! Now only to build up the funds to afford this dream computer. Also, would you mind posting your computer parts (all if possible) and maybe your computer specs it would be greatly appreciate its not a big deal as you already devoted so much time to helping my cause. I couldn't be anymore grateful!

Last edited:

statphantom

Jul 29, 2019
No problem at all, I have a YouTube channel called "statphantom" so you can check out a few videos i have made using Sony Vegas Movie Studio, I'm sorry but i don't have a public Skype account as of yet but I always check my messages on here and YouTube.

As for your other questions:

1. Monitor set up is very simple, windows automates everything and all you need to do is plug them into the ports on the graphics cards (can even have 1 monitor in HDMI and 1 in DVI and it will still work) and in control panel click on adjust screen resolution, there you can change monitors to different positions, left or right etc. and select what monitor to be your main. graphics cards have their own RAM imbedded, it is not related to system RAM at all, this is the ram I'm referring to when I talk about monitors, the only reason to have more then 2Gigs is if you connect 3 screens together to make it one whole screen. That's what 'eyefinity' is.
  2. The power supply I haven't looked to much in so I'm not the best person to ask but basically the only thing to look at is the watts, more watts the more it can handle but also power supply's with higher watts also draws more direct from the wall themselves. e.g. a computer that uses 200 watts on a 350 watt power supply, if you replace the power supply with a 1000 watt power supply, the exact same hardware will draw 350 watts (figuratively not actual figures). as to the cost to run one, I'm not entirely sure, but its definitely less then a fridge more then a TV. Also if a computer is left on with the monitors turned off it draws next to nothing, only actions will work it out.
  3. pros of overclocking: increased speeds for no extra hardware or costs. cons: draws more power (not really noticeably though), overheats easier if you don't have a decent heat-sink, and can reduce the lifespan of it if not done properly. And finally, bottle-necking is the term used of something slowing down due to a restraint, like how a smaller hole pours liquid slower. In computer terms it is used to describe hardware that cant run to its full potential as its waiting on another piece of hardware. A more direct example is internet speed, your ISP (internet service provider) says you get up to X Megabytes a second, but in reality you never see this, because either the place your downloading from (known as the 'host') is downloading it to multiple people at once so its shared between you, or your router only supports a lower bandwidth. (bandwidth is the speed of data transfer just encase you didn't know)
Also yes, i7 for free is definitely worth it, its better in every way just more expensive, but get your motherboard first as different gens of processors have different slots, you don't want to get a processor and realize your M/B cant house it.

I'm happy to help anyone who listens and asks for help.

UniZero

Popular Member
Oct 3, 2012
Scotland, UK
Requesting the thread be moved to General - Tech Forum.

Edit: @zrt223 You already created a thread and I asked it to be moved because this has nothing to do with Tech support.

Edit 2: I answered you on the other thread after I asked for it to be moved.

Please don't create multiple threads.

Last edited:

UniZero

Popular Member
Oct 3, 2012
Scotland, UK
Here is some advice from myself. My system is an i5 3570k oc to 4.4ghz with a Radeon 6850 and 8gb of ram which runs minecraft very well and get between 80 and 200+ fps.

I agree with most of what statphantom said but a couple of things I would not.

The k suffix at the end of the cpu model does not mean it is pre-overclocked it means that it has an unlocked multiplier which if you wanted to overclock it would make it easier to do. The i5 is more than sufficent for gaming but if you are going to be doing a lot of editing, rendering and such I would be inclined to go for the i7. However it is not double or triple the price.

The psu is not something I would compromise on either and is not only down to the watts but what power each of the connectors, or rails as they are called, put out because if the psu can't output enough power for the gfx card your system won't even come on.

kittle

Jul 29, 2019
The psu is not something I would compromise on either and is not only down to the watts but what power each of the connectors, or rails as they are called, put out because if the psu can't output enough power for the gfx card your system won't even come on.
+1 to this

A bad or low quality PSU can fry the rest of your system when you get a power surge. But the more common scenario is it will very slowly fry random components in your PC and over time cause your system to have "weird problems" which get worse and and worse, ending up costing you much more in terms of lost time and frustration.
Also make sure your get a good surge protector (not a $10 power strip)

Power supplies come in various "ratings": none, bronze, gold and platinum. This is a measure of their efficiency in converting power from the wall (A/C power) to power that your pc can use (D/C) power. The higher the efficiency, the better they are at converting the power, and less is lost as heat. a 100w PSU that is 90% efficient will supply your PC with 100watts of power, but pull around 110 watts from the wall. the extra 10watts is lost as heat inside your case. This heat has to be pushed out by fans, or it will eventually cook bits of your PC. So, the higher the efficiency, the less heat generated, and the less cooling is required. Or the less heat generated, and the more "room" you have for a faster GPU or CPU with the same cooling fan.

And lastly, the higher the PSU efficiency, the more it will cost you. Depending on how much you pay for electricity, it may not be worth it to buy the super high efficient PSU if you end up paying more for the extra efficiency than you would save from your power bill. For most people a Bronze/Gold rated PSU is just fine. You will be more concerned with affording a PSU big enough to power your graphics card.