Butterfly Suicide Help

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

BlackFire

Jul 29, 2019
So, I'm trying to create a dome where butterflies will remain in the room, but they keep suffocating in the walls.

Any Ideas to get around this?

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
So, I'm trying to create a dome where butterflies will remain in the room, but they keep suffocating in the walls.

Any Ideas to get around this?

I believe this is a problem with Minecraft 1.5.2. I've only caught one butterfly and I haven't risked letting it go just in case it despawns (does it?). However if you have other mobs, chickens, pigs etc in a confined area they will glitch into solid blocks and suffocate. In Minecraft 1.6.2 a fix has been applied to prevent this. https://mojang.com/2013/07/minecraft-1-6-2-pre-release/

An alternative is to use non-solid blocks, like fencing, but the limitations here is they will glitch out and escape.

If anyone knows of a way to make enclosures safe and escape proof for butterflies and other mobs I'd really like to hear it.

BlackFire

Jul 29, 2019
I believe this is a problem with Minecraft 1.5.2. I've only caught one butterfly and I haven't risked letting it go just in case it despawns (does it?). However if you have other mobs, chickens, pigs etc in a confined area they will glitch into solid blocks and suffocate. In Minecraft 1.6 a fix has been applied to prevent this.

An alternative is to use non-solid blocks, like fencing, but the limitations here is they will glitch out and escape.

If anyone knows of a way to make enclosures safe and escape proof for butterflies and other mobs I'd really like to hear it.

that sucks :( oh well

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
So they don't sufficate on them? Won't they get hurt if they touch it?

MFFS3 in 1.5 didn't kill them when I tested it. It stuck out in my mind as curious. I suspect it's a bug.

In any case, who cares if they die? Just have some pollinated tree blocks in the habitat and they'll spawn.

Molten

Jul 29, 2019
I have a wood block wall and glass roof enclosure. A few apiarys and a few trees inside.
Never knew there was a problem like this because at times I take part of the roof of to reduce numbers inside.
Iv'e never had an issue with stock dwindling away.

My point is, they must spawn quicker than the number being suffocated. Iv'e never worried about it and have more butterflies both inside the enclosure and outside than I know what to do with.
The main thing in my favour is most likely I have forrestry trees dotted all over my base. Also the enclosure is large. It has to be for the trees. So the amount of wall surface area to volume inside the enclosure maybe isn't that much... If that makes sense.
Dome may be the issue. I have no problems, but my enclosure apart from the roof is flat smooth walls.
They may be more prone to glitching into walls where you have steps in the dome structure maybe.
Anyway. Don't worry too much about it and try. See what happens. If the worst happens they will re spawn as long as you have pollinated trees. As the above poster pointed out.