Buildings made of purely Xycraft decorative blocks?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

dlord

Jul 29, 2019
Has anybody built one? Give us some screenshots!

And if you don't use Xycraft decorative blocks in your builds, why?

PeggleFrank

Jul 29, 2019
I don't use them because if I move at all I get a massive screen tear, whether I'm using vsync or not. I would actually use them if they didn't have an animation.

dlord

Jul 29, 2019
Is it just me, or is it really difficult to look for blocks that would look good with xycraft?

Aeronica

Jul 29, 2019
They are better as accent blocks, however I did one room at bedrock level to house a milking room.
2QgaM

In this tree farm I use Xycraft lighting blocks embedded with the soil and for wall perimeter lighting.
2X3bY

Reactions: giesergast

xSINZx

Jul 29, 2019
I like the look of them. Will be attempting a Magic Tower built of them at some point.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Xy only buildings are a blight. They're the pulsating cancer of minecraft houses, the puss filled warts of architecture. It's hard to build something looking worse than a xyblock house. The nauseating gaudy constructs from hell will give you a headsplitting migraine with a certainty only matched by a genetical predisposition for migraines.

Do not build them, you will rue it.

Barbarian Kitten

Jul 29, 2019
Xy only buildings are a blight. They're the pulsating cancer of minecraft houses, the puss filled warts of architecture. It's hard to build something looking worse than a xyblock house. The nauseating gaudy constructs from hell will give you a headsplitting migraine with a certainty only matched by a genetical predisposition for migraines.

Do not build them, you will rue it.

:( I build my buildings out of engineering bricks. Yay hexes.

Reactions: YX33A

SteveTech

Jul 29, 2019
It's like the people that build giant stuff out of cobble and gravel. A little bit is ok, but once you build predominately with it without any accenting or with minimal variation you end up with a pile of s***.

dlord

Jul 29, 2019
I started this thread as I'm attempting to make something purely out of Xycraft. And I need some opinions about this.

I like Xycraft from a functional perspective. It doesn't allow mobs to spawn, allowing me to make rooms that have less light. But from an aesthetic perspective, it's a challenge to work with.

This is what I built on my test world, which will become the basis for my underground vault/museum in my SMP world.

This is a work in progress, and comments would be highly appreciated.

And yes, the spoiler tag is for people who don't like looking at Xycraft builds.

The vault would look something like this:

ntAmxdR.png

I intentionally made this room dark because it's a vault. It's meant to have little to no light. Almost all of the Xycraft blocks you see here are made with Dark Xychorium. The 2nd floor of the vault uses Light Engineering Bricks. The ceiling and some of the walls are made with Dark Engineering Bricks.

On one side of the wall, there's a light switch to illuminate the glass casings and tool racks

puSAe3j.png

The problem with Xycraft blocks in general is that the patterns are too strong to be used as a general purpose material for a wall or ceiling. But here, the glass casings and the tool racks lessen that effect, making it easier to look at.

On one end of the room, we have the display case for armors.

itll23O.png

The casings are made of Xychorium Shield, primarily because they have an interesting pattern which gives an impression that it's a ruin from an advanced ancient civilization. I make use of nether brick slabs as accents, as they serve both as a step to access the armors when the glass case is open (they can open and close via pistons), and to give contrast to the strong pattern of Xychorium Shield.

And finally, the second floor will be housing some of the stuff I want to display in chests and portable tanks. An example:

tOnuPOJ.png

Those are orange structure blocks, and they work well as pedestals for these crystal chests.

Reactions: PeggleFrank