Building new PC: Feedback appreciated

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I have decided to upgrade my current PC. Funds are not unlimited but I have set aside enough to make sure that no corners are cut.

I am a bit out of the loop since my current system have served me well for over 7 years(and continue to do so more or less, just showing its age), and I have really not been keeping up with the developments since. But I have researched a bit and put together a list of parts:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5930K 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GTX 104.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI X99A SLI PLUS ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital Black 6TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card
Case: NZXT Phantom 630 (White) ATX Full Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: LG UH12NS30 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer

(bear in mind that I will be purchasing from Denmark so prices(and taxes) are not the same as shown here)
EDIT: removed the prices as they were somewhat pointless.

I was wondering if anyone more knowledgeable than me would mind giving some feedback about this list, perhaps suggest alterations etc. Or at least give a thumbs up before I order anything :p

PS: I have been considering purchasing this:
http://www.corsair.com/se-fi/hydro-series-hg10-n980-gpu-liquid-cooling-bracket
and a another of the CPU cooler shown above to fit in it to cool the graphics card. Might be an upgrading option down the road(if the stock GPU cooler is too noisy).

Last edited:

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Not a bad system at all. I agree with the 6-Core. I find 8's tend to go slightly to waste.

Shop around though. Your $300 HDD is currently slightly less than half-price on Newegg.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Your $300 HDD is currently slightly less than half-price on Newegg.
Yeah I didn't really pay much attention to the HDD. Just picked a 6TB WD as a placeholder tbh. Looking at it now it is not even the right series or anything(it is the RED series which is meant for business and NAS use :p). But I might just salvage the HDDs from my current rig since they are quite new(Just bought the SSD I listed for it and it got a 3TB drive). Tempting to get another matching SSD though and run them in raid :p But then again PCI SSDs might be just around the corner. :rolleyes:

And yes, will be shopping around since I will be buying from Danish shops ;) partpicker just didn't have a Danish setting lol :p

EDIT: Fixed the HDDs, so if I buy any of them, then it is probably going to be those.

Last edited:

SarcAndMiscGamer

Jul 29, 2019
I would personally always recommend AGAINST liquid cooling. For one, it's a hassle to maintain(clean it of algae and such), and two, it still is a risk you're taking. One leakage and there go all your dollars(or whatever your local currency is). With air cooling you need to put a bit of thought into cable management and regularly clean the inside of your PC(which I would recommend in favour of anyways). The easiest way to clean it is with a can of air(something like http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...d_t=101&pf_rd_p=2125229722&pf_rd_i=3012916011 this. Sorry for the filthy link postage, I'm tired and don't feel like figuring out the proper way to post the links)

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
I'll second the removal of the liquid cooling unless you plan on doing serious over-clocking. Even with proper cooling all over-clocking does is shorten the life of your CPU for a speed increase.

Antaioz

Jul 29, 2019
I've been at the PC building game for a while now, being the tech guy in a group of mates :). So I'll offer some perspective.

I would personally always recommend AGAINST liquid cooling. For one, it's a hassle to maintain(clean it of algae and such), and two, it still is a risk you're taking. One leakage and there go all your dollars(or whatever your local currency is). With air cooling you need to put a bit of thought into cable management and regularly clean the inside of your PC(which I would recommend in favour of anyways). The easiest way to clean it is with a can of air(something like http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...d_t=101&pf_rd_p=2125229722&pf_rd_i=3012916011 this. Sorry for the filthy link postage, I'm tired and don't feel like figuring out the proper way to post the links)

I'll second the removal of the liquid cooling unless you plan on doing serious over-clocking. Even with proper cooling all over-clocking does is shorten the life of your CPU for a speed increase.

all-in-one liquid cooling options are perfectly fine, there's no manual stuff or cleaning or anything these days. the liquid loop is closed well before you get your hands on it. Most, if not all, aren't meant to be opened. At most you just replace it in a few years once the warranty is out and if it's displaying any signs of problems (after you try cleaning the radiator first, though), like any cooler.

and a another of the CPU cooler shown above to fit in it to cool the graphics card. Might be an upgrading option down the road(if the stock GPU cooler is too noisy).

I've never had any need, ever, to liquid cool the graphics card. And this is speaking from someone who uses two 780 Tis and a titan black (from the same year), each in seperate machines that are going on a year and a half old, being used for intense sessions of weeks-long 3d animation rendering. That means 24/7 100% usage for a week or more at a time (followed by a few weeks of inactivity sometimes). If your case is clean and there's 'some' airflow, liquid for the gpu is overkill. It generally is for the CPU too, but I recommend the all-in-one closed systems for the CPU anyway since it reduces a huge amount of bulk in the case.

I don't however have any experience in overclocking graphics cards, if you're going that route, liquid's probably a lot more useful, though my opinion on overclocking is generally "it's not worth it"

So unless noise is really an issue, which you can't gauge until you have the card and run it for a while, I'd not worry about the graphics card's cooler.

As for other things, It looks like a typical (max-end) build I'd put together. Pretty damn all-out

Tempting to get another matching SSD though and run them in raid :p But then again PCI SSDs might be just around the corner. :rolleyes:
What are you using this beast for?
Personally I think SSDs alone are already at the point of "so fast I don't give a damn anymore". Unless you're doing serious video editing or something, RAID and PCI are overkill.

Reactions: smalls_12

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
all-in-one liquid cooling options are perfectly fine, there's no manual stuff or cleaning or anything these days. the liquid loop is closed well before you get your hands on it. Most, if not all, aren't meant to be opened. At most you just replace it in a few years once the warranty is out and if it's displaying any signs of problems (after you try cleaning the radiator first, though), like any cooler.
Yes I have never endeavoured into watercooling before despite how cool and beneficial it could be due to all the things that could go wrong when you put them together your self. But these prebuilt closed loop coolers seems the perfect buy. I much rather pay a bit more than a "standard" heatsink to dissipate the heat out over a bigger radiator with bigger fans at lower RPMs. And to avoid having all that weight hanging on the CPU mounts.

I've never had any need, ever, to liquid cool the graphics card. And this is speaking from someone who uses two 780 Tis and a titan black (from the same year), each in seperate machines that are going on a year and a half old, being used for intense sessions of weeks-long 3d animation rendering. That means 24/7 100% usage for a week or more at a time (followed by a few weeks of inactivity sometimes). If your case is clean and there's 'some' airflow, liquid for the gpu is overkill. It generally is for the CPU too, but I recommend the all-in-one closed systems for the CPU anyway since it reduces a huge amount of bulk in the case.

I don't however have any experience in overclocking graphics cards, if you're going that route, liquid's probably a lot more useful, though my opinion on overclocking is generally "it's not worth it"

So unless noise is really an issue, which you can't gauge until you have the card and run it for a while, I'd not worry about the graphics card's cooler.
Yeah it is not as much a matter of need. All sources indicate that the stock heatsinks and fans can keep up fine for some pretty high OCs. My only concern would be how violent the whirlwind in the corner will be while doing so :p But yes I will wait and judge before I do anything. Specially since it probably breaks the warranty on the card as well...

Personally I think SSDs alone are already at the point of "so fast I don't give a damn anymore". Unless you're doing serious video editing or something, RAID and PCI are overkill.
Yeah you are quite right. I will just salvage the(brand new) SSD from my current rig.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
All that said, my inherent distaste for Intel is screaming at you to go AMD. And Seagate over WD. That's just personal preference though.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
All that said, my inherent distaste for Intel is screaming at you to go AMD. And Seagate over WD. That's just personal preference though.
I have a strong dislike for Intel as well. But Intel's Haswell-E absolutely craps on everything AMD has currently.
I have decided to upgrade my current PC. Funds are not unlimited but I have set aside enough to make sure that no corners are cut.

I am a bit out of the loop since my current system have served me well for over 7 years(and continue to do so more or less, just showing its age), and I have really not been keeping up with the developments since. But I have researched a bit and put together a list of parts:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5930K 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GTX 104.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI X99A SLI PLUS ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital Black 6TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card
Case: NZXT Phantom 630 (White) ATX Full Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: LG UH12NS30 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer

(bear in mind that I will be purchasing from Denmark so prices(and taxes) are not the same as shown here)
EDIT: removed the prices as they were somewhat pointless.

I was wondering if anyone more knowledgeable than me would mind giving some feedback about this list, perhaps suggest alterations etc. Or at least give a thumbs up before I order anything :p

Well, here's my input I suppose. There is very little point in going with a 5930k. The only differences between it and the 5820k is a significantly higher price, slightly higher clock speed(which the 5820k can easily hit.), and more PCI-E lines(only applicable if you plan on doing 4 way SLI really.) The 5820k(28 lanes) is enough for 3 way SLI and for a PCI-E SSD at x4. And like others have said, don't RAID SSDs. It's pointless, since those things are already blazing fast.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Which is why you use mineral oil, instead of water for liquid cooling.

Which makes upgrading components a pain in the ass, since you would submerge the whole machine in the oil. Unless there's CLCs that use mineral oil that I do not know of.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I'm a tad out of date. It seems something called Thermochill EC6 is the go to water replacement. Which does work in most water coolers.

I'm just partial to AMD's paired physical cores over Intels Hyperthreading technique.

imPlayin

Jul 29, 2019
Have you considered an i7-6700k? It's only a quad core, but with hyperthreading you still have 8 threads and it has a better Single-Thread performance which is more important for games as most games only use 4 threads at max anyway. It would require a different board though, with the socket being LGA1151 and the chipset being Z170. It would also be considerably cheaper then a 5930K (around 200 less)