Building Alveary Help

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Zerro

Jul 29, 2019
Greetings,

I have acquired the resources to build an Alveary but I don't really know what I'm doing. I want to make an Alveary dedicated to mutations but I can't really find any information online about the ExtraBees alveary blocks. I'm assuming I need the Mutator block. Do I need any other blocks, other than the alveary blocks, to build this thing?

Thanks

Blinkerty

Jul 29, 2019
27 alveary blocks 3x3x3
9 wood half slabs on top (any i think works)
replace an alveary block or two when you know it works with a mutator and bingo.

noskk

Jul 29, 2019
as Blinkerty said, and use 2 of the alveary blocks to make 2 mutator blocks (which can substitute those 2 alveary blocks you used to make a complete alveary structure) and put 1 uranium chunk to each of them inside of them for 100% mutation.

Zerro

Jul 29, 2019
I read that uranium only gave 10%. Nether Star gave the 100%.

So regardless, an Alveary mutator block by default gives a better chance at mutations than an apiary with 3 soul frames? I'm just trying to figure this out since there seems to be NO documentation on these ExtraBees alveary blocks.

MouseyPounds

Jul 29, 2019
A nether star in a mutator is supposed to be a guaranteed 100% but uranium multiplies the mutation chance by 10. So as long as you have at least a 1% mutation chance two uranium would be just as good. The Alveary section of SunnyDaze's guide is about the best I've seen at describing the mutator.

Zerro

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah that helps. So 1 mutator with 10 uranium in it gives 100% mutation or does it just cap at the 10%? Or do I just need 10 mutator blocks?

Domicilius

Jul 29, 2019
You need 2 mutator blocks, each with 1 uranium. At least ~1% chance multiplied by the first mutator is ~10%, multiplied again by the second block is ~100%.

Zerro

Jul 29, 2019
You need 2 mutator blocks, each with 1 uranium. At least ~1% chance multiplied by the first mutator is ~10%, multiplied again by the second block is ~100%.

Okay thanks. I read alvearies need power. Is that true for all blocks, or just the add-ons, or just certain add-ons?

Also, I haven't tried it yet, but does Refined Uranium work or does it have to be raw uranium?

Blinkerty

Jul 29, 2019
AFAIK, and from what I have tried I don't think so, although I will admit mutators are one of the blocks i haven't used.

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
Some alviary blocks need power, like the ones to make a bee work in hotter/colder climates.
Most of the others don't, and a basic alviary won't need power.

Hope it helps.

noskk

Jul 29, 2019
A nether star in a mutator is supposed to be a guaranteed 100% but uranium multiplies the mutation chance by 10. So as long as you have at least a 1% mutation chance two uranium would be just as good. The Alveary section of SunnyDaze's guide is about the best I've seen at describing the mutator.

Uranium increases the percentage of mutation to 10x %mutation, so 2 uraniums give you 10x10x = 100x % mutation. The same as 3 ender pearls 4 x 4 x 4 x % mutation always higher than 100% for all combinations.

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, thread is old but I figured I'd share my maths too...

If swarmer princesses [produce queens that die off without leaving princess offspring] are undesirable, don't go over %10 mutation bonus. This means single Mutator block using Uranium [10% mutation bonus] or 5 Mutators using Soul Sand [ 7.59% bonus] or 5 Frame Housings using Soul Frames [7.59%] bonus.

I mention using Soul Frames because of how the Mutator works. Whatever item you put in the Mutator gets consumed whether or not a mutation occurs when the queen dies. Whereas the Soul Frame will take damage as the queen cycles though her life. Essentially, it means fewer trips to the Nether but it's also a different way to do things.

Ideally, you can setup your Mutation Alveary to use Chocolate Frames to reduce lifespan [6 or less prevents swarmers] and then use 1-5 Mutators to increase mutation chance while still avoiding swarmers. This setup emulates the Nova Frame and keeping the Frame Housings/Mutators stocked is easily automated with routers.

Hope someone finds this useful [and I hope my maths are correct!]