Building a drop based mob farm

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Mister2u

Jul 29, 2019
So I cleared out a 48x48 space all down to the bedrock (thanks, Ender Quarry!) and a ladder up to Y:250 where I dropped lava then water to make cobblestone walls all around it. Surprisingly easy and the result is something that looks like one of the old WTO twin towers (RIP).

The initial idea was to turn it into my Evil Laboratory HQ, with lots of stories and glass/chrome looking stuff with a steel Railcraft tank in the basement being pumped full of lava from the nether for powering the entire building. A mobile Ender Quarry would eat up chunks from far away and deposit the ores etc into a sorting/SAGging/smelting area in my base through a tesseract. So for generic ingredients I'm more or less sorted, but for things like ender pearls I'm going to need some way of farming those.

My roof is at about Y:248 and the entire building is totally empty at the moment all the way to bedrock. That's a 3x3 chunk (the building walls are on the outside of the 9 inner chunks) of nada. There's a chunkloader next to it with a 6x6 [square] radius, so the contents of the building will always be active.

Should my mob farm be at the top, or is it better at the bottom? How much space will it take up, and will it only work when I am within X blocks of it? What KIND of mob farm would be best to make here - given the vertical freedom I suppose some kind of drop-so-far-it-kills-em setup, but how to ensure the maximum loot especially from endermen? RIght now, I'm open to any suggestions.

This is not on a server - it's my own PC, and so far lag has not been an issue so weird contraptions are welcome.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Should my mob farm be at the top, or is it better at the bottom? How much space will it take up, and will it only work when I am within X blocks of it? What KIND of mob farm would be best to make here - given the vertical freedom I suppose some kind of drop-so-far-it-kills-em setup, but how to ensure the maximum loot especially from endermen? RIght now, I'm open to any suggestions.

You've got a whole heap of options, but as you've got height as an advantage, I reckon a drop/kill trap - but with a modification: Iron Spikes (from ExU) at the bottom - those should allow rare drops to occur :) Not sure what modpack you're playing, but if you've got Open Blocks in there you can use a Vacuum Hopper to scoop up all your goodies too!

Mister2u

Jul 29, 2019
I'm playing a bastardised Infinity mod-pack, with the more magical mods removed and some techy/storage ones added (Better chests, ex-nihilo, factorization, power converters, and storage drawers). I shall get me some iron spikes though, they sound cool :)

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame