Buildcraft quarry efficiency at high speed?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Juanitierno

Jul 29, 2019
Hello! The new BC quarry can go really fast if provided with tons of power, i think it can take like 50 or 100MJ/t. my question would be if its efficient while running at those speeds... Imagine i have 2 identical quarries with a full redstone cell each, if i set one cell to emit 10MJ and the other to emit 100MJ, will both quarries end up excavating the same amount of blocks? Double the power double the speed?

solidity

Jul 29, 2019
Tried it out in creative. It looked like there's quite a difference in efficiency between 10 and 50 MJ/t. I started several max size quarries, supplied by Redstone Energy Cells outputting varying amounts of MJ. The highest finished about 2/3 of a layer, the lowest one a bit more than one full layer, so there's definitly a difference. For fun, I also fueled a turtle with an energy cell and checked how far it would go with the same energy. Using the stock excavate, it was still going after 4 layers ;) So, for speed, go with quarries at the highest MJ you can supply which doesn't cap the quarry and for fuel efficiency, go with turtles :)

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
This guy studied it in detail in order to compare to his turtle program, and shows that it's a flat speed after 25MJ

Forward to 11:15

MikeBoy123

Jul 29, 2019
If you can afford it, definitely go for the RP2 Tunnel Bore. You can use Ender Chests to bring batteries into a Battery Box to power the motors, then the empty ones go into another Ender Chest to get recharged. DireWolf20 made one at the end of Season 3 of his SMP LP on YouTube. If you get a tunnel bore and expand the block breakers to like, a 9x20, you will be RAKING in the ores. You won't have to worry about moving it like the Quarry, and with the Quarry, you have to get past the top layers before getting to goody goody Diamond layer. Tunnel Bores are the best choice.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
If you can afford it, definitely go for the RP2 Tunnel Bore. You can use Ender Chests to bring batteries into a Battery Box to power the motors,

Just build one that "tunnels" from bedrock to surface, and use solar! :)

Well, that's what I intend anyways.

You won't have to worry about moving it like the Quarry, and with the Quarry, you have to get past the top layers before getting to goody goody Diamond layer. Tunnel Bores are the best choice.

Except with FTB's ore gen, he'll be missing copper tin and much of silver/lead.

Reactions: MikeBoy123

MikeBoy123

Jul 29, 2019
Just build one that "tunnels" from bedrock to surface, and use solar! :)

Well, that's what I intend anyways.

Except with FTB's ore gen, he'll be missing copper tin and much of silver/lead.
Of course though, you could expand your tunnel bore to be REALLY tall, and have all the excess cobble dug up go into a void pipe, and have all the ores and materials sorted out. I would love to do that in my SSP world!!!!