Buildcraft builder : reactorcraft

MongrelVigor

Jul 29, 2019
I'd love too use it to mass produce my reactorcraft reactors, but I've gotten used to it not working in very many non vanilla items. My reactors are only rigged with Reika's stuff and TE stuff. I use templates, in the architect, and made sure only one type of item was within the markers at a time, and that works, but it's certainly laborious. Is there a better way?

Sidorion

Jul 29, 2019
Nope, sorry. Due to the fact that every mod autor has his(her) own method of storing informations of their blocks and tile entities (rotation and many more) it is impossible to implement a standard method for placing unknown blocks.
Therefor it is up to the mod autors themselves to make their blocks compatible with the builder (which has an api for that)

Reactions: asiekierka

Sidorion

Jul 29, 2019
Nope, same principle.
The problem is: You'd have to place an exact copy of the unknown TE in the blueprint. This would open the gates to item duping. E.g. a TE with inventory would be placed including all items in the inventory, but those items wouldn't be demanded in the needed item list.

MongrelVigor

Jul 29, 2019
I wonder if the builder could have been designed with an "inventory" setting, that would honor inventories when copying OR a compatibility mode, that doesn't do inventories

Sidorion

Jul 29, 2019
The 'inventory' setting is impossible to code as there is no way to tell, how an unknown TE handles their inventory.
The compatibility mode is built into buildcraft compat. Afaik there is a builder API that mod authors can use to make their TEs compatible.

MongrelVigor

Jul 29, 2019
To be clear, it was my understanding that inventory duplication was the thing to watch for. I'm saying what if you had a mode that insists on proper compatibility and buildcraft compat integration, and does copy the inventories of blocks, and a mode that makes no attempts to copy any inventories at all. It only places empty stuff

Sidorion

Jul 29, 2019
You don't get it: A TE is just a bunch of bytes from the outside (the builder's view). There is no way to decide, which of those are meant to hold inventories. There is no way to decide, which of those bytes are vital to the TE. So you either place the whole thing as exact copy or not at all. For if you leave out vital infos, the whole world could crash to the ground (maybe even unrecoverable).
Nevertheless, there IS a way to place incompatible TEs: You have to start a creative world and record the blueprint in creative mode. Then the builder should place all TEs, but without listing them as needed material.

asiekierka

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
Dec 24, 2013
IInventory is one thing, yes, but then you have oddballs like Carpenter's Blocks storing items outside of an inventory, or multiparts which are built out of five or ten items. getDrops() often works, but not always - we also don't want to keep things like energy so you can't turn empty batteries into full batteries... It's complicated.