Breeding trees question

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Cosmology27

Jul 29, 2019
So I'm at the point where I'm having to breed forestry trees with forestry trees. For a good while I wasn't getting any mutations. In fact, I realized that I had never once seen a forestry tree's leaves mutate. I then tried throwing some regular oak trees in the mix, and they started getting the mutations I wanted from the two forestry trees.
Is this how it works? Do forestry tree's leaves never obtain mutations? Do you need regular trees like oak or birch to get mutations from forestry trees?
I just think this would be important to note in the wiki, so I wanted to make sure first.

kittle

Jul 29, 2019
id say spectales are REQUIRED in order to see whats going on.
Same goes for the grafter (make yourself a stack of them)

Also, you need to run the vanilla trees through your treealyzer to change them into their forestry equivalent. So grab 3 oak saplings, 3 birch saplings, run them through your treealyzer. Then plant them in 2 rows of 3 with 6-8 blocks between. Lay down a line of 5-10 aviaries between your 2 rows. add bees and let it run. The more bees you have, the faster your trees will pollinate (mutate).

Reactions: Cosmology27

OlexaKid64

Jul 29, 2019
Spectacles are important to see exactly what leaves are matured or not matured. Another good idea would be to put a bee house where you want to mutate trees. They provide a higher pollination rate than apiaries or alvearies.

Reactions: Cosmology27

Mero

Jul 29, 2019
id say spectales are REQUIRED in order to see whats going on.
Same goes for the grafter (make yourself a stack of them)

Also, you need to run the vanilla trees through your treealyzer to change them into their forestry equivalent. So grab 3 oak saplings, 3 birch saplings, run them through your treealyzer. Then plant them in 2 rows of 3 with 6-8 blocks between. Lay down a line of 5-10 aviaries between your 2 rows. add bees and let it run. The more bees you have, the faster your trees will pollinate (mutate).

I wouldn't bother using so many trees in one spot. I set up 3 different tree breeding areas, each with just one of two types of trees I was breeding.
This allowed me to work on different traits and different types that would be getting combined down the process.

I was using bee houses and breeding bees up to rural with at least 5 houses at each set of trees.

I just made a circuit between each of the 3, restarting the bees and grafting saplings.
If when I got caught up, I went to my bee breeding area to breed/clone bees.

Cosmology27

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks! I didn't even know about spectacles, since they're not listed on the tree breeding page of the wiki. Feel quite noobish... either way, got my ebony now!
Thanks again