Breeding Austere bees?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Zerro

Jul 29, 2019
I've bred Modest+Frugal w/ Soul Frames but haven't gotten the Austere mutation. Is there a special criteria that needs to be met? (ie: modest+cultivated can only get Sinister mutation if done in the Nether) Or is my luck just bad?

Also on Soul Frames; do they also increase the chance for making mutations pure? Just curious because I'm working on Branches and I didn't want my bees to mutate to the next level when I was first trying to make the previous level pure. (right now trying to get pure Icy but I've already gotten a Glacial hybrid mutation which I didn't want, yet)

Thanks

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
Soul frames increase the chances of mutations, so not that great to purify a queen/princess.

Futalis

Jul 29, 2019
Recommend getting an alveary running and putting a single mutation block in it and then putting nether stars in the mutation block. It has advanced my bee breeding speed significantly. And the nether star mutations will force pure mutations to occur which is nice when I have very fertile bee's, makes isolating the trait extremely easy. Although, there's still the issue of farming the nether stars...

noskk

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm, I think 4 uranium ore is also doable for 100% mutation (since I got my valuable bee that way).

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
Have you tried to breed the austere bee in a desert, like you did with the frugal bee? I'm not 100% sure, but I think this mutation is tied to a certain temperature and humidity in its biome. I didn't add this to the page, since I'm not 100% sure currently.

Zerro

Jul 29, 2019
I think I had Frugal+Modest in my desert apiary before but not with the Soul Frames. I guess I'll give that a try.

I actually got my Frugal mutation from Modest+Sinister

Penguirrel

Jul 29, 2019
I broke out the flora-in-a-box and it said my chance was at 0% in a forest, mountainous desert, and regular desert. I went to the nether and it said 8% so I'm guessing it's a stealtth only in nether breed.