Books

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Fantasy: Fritz Leiber's Lankhmar series.
SF: Iain M. Banks's Culture novels.
Human nature & philosophy: Douglas Hofstadter's GEB, The Mind's I, and Metamagical Themas, or anything by Ian Stewart and Jack Cohen.
Science: Anything by Richard Feynman.

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
The Door Within series
Percy Jackson series
Nicholas Flamel series (Absolutely Love this one)
Artemis Fowl Series
Kane Chronicles
Chronicles of Narnia (Absolutely Love this one)
Fablehaven (Absolutely Love this one)
There are others, but I can't think of them right now-- Oh Wait:
39 Clues (Absolutely Love this one)
Infinity Ring
Ok, that's all I can remember.
Another:
Hunger Games!!!

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
Most of raymond chandler's 1940's detective novels
Starwars Republic Commando
Most of John Grren's books

Malkara

Jul 29, 2019
I know the Pillars of Creation are a feature in the Sword of Truth series, not sure if it has its own series though..

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
That is a book in the sword of truth series, not a series in it's own right? or is it something completely different not written by Goodkind?

you are right. it's one of the books in the sword of truth series. it's the one i remember the best for some reason. been a good long while since i read it.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
you are right. it's one of the books in the sword of truth series. it's the one i remember the best for some reason. been a good long while since i read it.
Thats the only one that didn't have chapters written from the perspective of Richard and Kahlan. The main characters in that book were Jensen and Oba (Richard's supremely ungifted half brother&sister)[DOUBLEPOST=1363465659][/DOUBLEPOST]QUESTION: I remember reading an amazing series of books when I was younger but for the life of me I cannot remember either the author, any characters name, or the name of any of the books. It was a fantasy book and I only remember that there was a city that was protected by this monument of people blowing horns, and one day that monument failed and the city was attacked by an army that was completely made up of slaves. The people were made slaves and found out that the people who took them were also enslaved by the same army but grew to see that their slavery was actually their freedom. I can't remember if the new slaves succumbed to this thought or rebelled against it though. Anyone have any clues?

Milaha

Jul 29, 2019
I finally got around to reading neuromancer recently. I would probably put it in the top 5 books I have ever read, and due to the age it does not get nearly as much attention as it should anymore. It more than deserves its status as a sci-fi icon. Go read it, now.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind
A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R R Martin
Abhorsen trilogy by Garth Nix
Lord of The Rings Trilogy by J R R Tolkein
The Hobbie by J R R Tolkein
Anything at all by Terry Pratchett <3
Anything by Andy McNabb and Tom Clancy
50 Shades of DIE IN A FIRE

Im not a huge fansty reader. But yeah I can agree with those Pratchett is the bomb. (note the lined stuff means I just have not read it so dont have a point of view for them)

Me I would add the following

Anything by Neil Gieman (book or Comic)
Anything by Peirs Anthony.
The misenchanted sword by lawrence watt-evans (and everything else is good too)

The fathers of Cyberpunk.
Neuromancer by Willaim Gibson.
Snow crash by Neal Stephenson.

Also in sci-fi
Forever war by ridley scott

Just others

John Dies at the end by I cant rember who.
harry dresden by jim butcher (the first few are great)

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind
A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R R Martin
Abhorsen trilogy by Garth Nix
Lord of The Rings Trilogy by J R R Tolkein
The Hobbit by J R R Tolkein
Anything at all by Terry Pratchett <3
Anything by Andy McNabb, Chris Ryan and Tom Clancy
His Dark Materials by Phillip Pullman
50 Shades of G.. ha only joking XD
updated after looking at my bookcase

Exedra

Jul 29, 2019
The Hunger Games Trilogy - Suzanne Collins
The Skulduggery Pleasant Series - Derek Landy
The Laws of Magic - Michael Prior

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
Did you know that 50 shades of grey started out as Twlight fan fiction? The author pulled the copy, changed the names, then resold it in the form it is now.

Edit:

The Bartimaeus trilogy, written by Jonathan Stroud is a good series as well. A little magic, a little science, and a great story.

Gnomeo

Jul 29, 2019
Two of my favorite series not already mentioned:

The Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson
Chronicles of the Black Company by Glen Cook

ManaaniWanderer

Jul 29, 2019
Anything in the Enderverse by Orson Scott Card(Ender's Game, Ender in Exile, Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, Children of the Mind, Ender's Shadow, Shadow of the Hegemon, Shadow Puppets, Shadow of the Giant, Shadows in Flight)

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
I would get more into Terry Goodkind but after the frist two books of the sword of turth (wizards first rule and.. i forget) I just got sick of his need to spend a few chapters beating down the hero for no real reason other to set up his come back later. Just kind of feels forced to me and forumlaic.

But did love good omens which he co wrote.

Freyr

Jul 29, 2019
Fantasy:
I will add: Anne Bishop (Black Jevels series), Brent Weeks (Shadow Series)

Science: Neil DeGrasse Tyson, Jack Cohen, Ian Stewart (The Science of Discworld series)