Boarding track - Am I missing something??

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Cougar281

Jul 29, 2019
I am in the processes of setting up a rail link between to locations that are about 300 blocks apart in a 'safe' tunnel. To run that distance would burn a lot of food and not be very good, so I decided to use carts like I've done before. I was going to set up a boarding track at each end, a detector track at each end to launch the waiting cart when a new one approaches (I would be keeping a cart at each end so there is always a cart ready) the boarding track and a bunch of booster tracks aling the way in each direction to keep the speed up.

The problem is I went to craft a boarding track, and while I can craft a 'standard rail', it would seem I'm unable to craft the 'advanced rail'. I place the required components (standard rail in first column, redstone in second and gold in third).... But I get nothing. For whatever reason, I cannot craft the advanced rail, and thus the boarding track or detector track.

What am I missing? I've built this exact type of setup before (quite a ways back...) and don't recall needing the 'Advanced Rail' to make the boarding and detector tracks.

I guess while on the subject, is there a faster rail method than a cart with a boarding track and booster tracks along the way, or is that the most efficient method (assuming I can end up crafting the boarding and detector railed)?

noah_wolfe

Jul 29, 2019
Shot in the dark, but Advanced Rails are crafted in the rolling machine, not a crafting table.

budge

Jul 29, 2019
The absolute fastest you can get with tracks is anything on high speed rails. But they are not necessary for a distance of only 300 blocks, and they're a bit more dangerous to use, and quite a bit more expensive.

In my current world, I built a line of (I'm guessing) a length greater than 3 km, and with high speed rails, it's faster than quantum suit sprinting. I set up about 20 signal blocks along the way with side tracks to make sure two trains would not collide, because collisions on H.S. rails are messy. If you go this route, expect to put in more effort, but also expect to have more fun!

P.S.: A high speed rail line of this length is way cheaper with a locomotive than with just carts, since a loco only needs to be accelerated once, while a cart needs continuous boosters to maintain the frightening speed.

Cougar281

Jul 29, 2019
Shot in the dark, but Advanced Rails are crafted in the rolling machine, not a crafting table.

DERP - That was it. now sure how I missed that.... Thanks.

The absolute fastest you can get with tracks is anything on high speed rails. But they are not necessary for a distance of only 300 blocks, and they're a bit more dangerous to use, and quite a bit more expensive.

In my current world, I built a line of (I'm guessing) a length greater than 3 km, and with high speed rails, it's faster than quantum suit sprinting. I set up about 20 signal blocks along the way with side tracks to make sure two trains would not collide, because collisions on H.S. rails are messy. If you go this route, expect to put in more effort, but also expect to have more fun!

P.S.: A high speed rail line of this length is way cheaper with a locomotive than with just carts, since a loco only needs to be accelerated once, while a cart needs continuous boosters to maintain the frightening speed.

Never played with locomotives, but I'll look into it. Thanks.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019

Locomotives also require fuel.

Cougar281

Jul 29, 2019
Locomotives also require fuel.

That would give me a good use for the 164,289,000mB (and climbing) of fuel that I have. :)

A bit ago I decided to start pumping Oil into a Quantum Tank, and set up a few refineries to make fuel since oil is less useful than fuel. Didn't have a use for it though. Just decided to do it for the heck of it.

Edit: Or not... I thought there used to be a diesel locomotive? Only seeing a steam one now.

Last edited:
Reactions: SatanicSanta

Pericus

Jul 29, 2019
That would give me a good use for the 164,289,000mB (and climbing) of fuel that I have. :)

A bit ago I decided to start pumping Oil into a Quantum Tank, and set up a few refineries to make fuel since oil is less useful than fuel. Didn't have a use for it though. Just decided to do it for the heck of it.

Edit: Or not... I thought there used to be a diesel locomotive? Only seeing a steam one now.

Railcraft only has steam locomotives at the moment. They run on any type of coal or wood.