Blood Magic Broken?

Itproquo

Jul 29, 2019
While crafting unstable ingot in the DW20 pack, i had my equipped blood magic bound armor. Not realizing when i tossed the ingot on the ground it would explode, i did that and it cause me to die. When i got my stuff back, all the armor was at -3000/1000 durability. Every time I put it back on, even one piece I die instantly. Even with my soul network up to over 1mil, im clueless how to fix it.
Thanks

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
That sounds like a cross-mod bug, most likely due to how Tema does the explosion with his unstable ingots. Best I can suggest is to go into creative, pick the armor up, throw it away, and cheat it back in.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
As for why, I'd guess either it wasn't properly linked to you (wasn't right clicked to bleed on it and activate it), or you didn't have a void sigil in it, IIRC most of the damage from the ingots is void damage.
Both don't explaing why he dies when he picks it up.

mattp_12

Jul 29, 2019
While crafting unstable ingot in the DW20 pack, i had my equipped blood magic bound armor. Not realizing when i tossed the ingot on the ground it would explode, i did that and it cause me to die. When i got my stuff back, all the armor was at -3000/1000 durability. Every time I put it back on, even one piece I die instantly. Even with my soul network up to over 1mil, im clueless how to fix it.
Thanks
The durability the armor has probably reflected the amount of damage the unstable ingot does... You probably died each time you put the armor on because of the effects you may get from the armor, or something else I'm overlooking that the armor does...

Last edited:

Azdule

Jul 29, 2019
I had a similar issue* where I went to craft with the ingots. It didn't recognise the recipe and the ingots didn't blow up until I came out of the crafting bench. I died. I then couldn't return to the area as the ingots were continually blowing up on the floor :/

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
What's the state of your soul network? If I am not mistaken bound armor uses your soul network to absorb damage. As the unstable ingot kills you by doing a bajillion damage. Maybe your soul network has been set to a really high negative value that blood magic can't account for. Then again I thought Wayoftime put in failsafes for that?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

WayofTime

Jul 29, 2019
The armour stores the damage you would receive in its durability and then gives it back to the player while draining the SN. Since the unstable ingots do a -ridiculous- amount of damage (his prerogative, since it is supposed to be a "quicktime event"), the armour got blasted horribly.

S

Sirc23

Apologies for the necropost, but I've heard that if I add something genuinely meaningful to the conversation, it's acceptable.
Today I faced the exact same problem, and as a test I had a friend of mine on a multiplayer server try on the armor. According to WayofTime's post you might expect that it would kill the person who has the armor bound to them, or something unexpected. But rather the results are that the wearer dies instantly, the item is repaired and the Soul Network is left completely untouched! For people wanting a non-cheating method then this is a way to go about it. If you're in Singleplayer, I'm not sure how you would circumvent the issue... Though I just tested in Singleplayer and it seems a single death was able to revert the damage. Strange mechanics... but in any case, hopefully this provides enough information to provoke some testing of your own.

Reactions: DeathOfTime

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Apologies for the necropost, but I've heard that if I add something genuinely meaningful to the conversation, it's acceptable.
Today I faced the exact same problem, and as a test I had a friend of mine on a multiplayer server try on the armor. According to WayofTime's post you might expect that it would kill the person who has the armor bound to them, or something unexpected. But rather the results are that the wearer dies instantly, the item is repaired and the Soul Network is left completely untouched! For people wanting a non-cheating method then this is a way to go about it. If you're in Singleplayer, I'm not sure how you would circumvent the issue... Though I just tested in Singleplayer and it seems a single death was able to revert the damage. Strange mechanics... but in any case, hopefully this provides enough information to provoke some testing of your own.
I could see how that might be the case... As I understand it, whenever something (except the fully automatic rituals, like the Serenade of the Nether) tries to draw LP, it first checks the soul network of the player it's bound to. If there's enough LP in the network, it consumes it; otherwise, the item or ritual totally ignores the soul network, damages the player using it, and calls it done. Since you don't have enough LP to soak up all the damage absorbed by the armor, it will instead draw upon the HP of its wearer, killing them and repairing itself fully. Next time you pick it up, it's good to go.