Blizzes in FTB, hide and seek champs? (not anymore!)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
So,

I've spent many nights in glacial and snowy forest biomes.
In the Twilight Forest..
Sat through many snow storms.
Made platforms out of snow blocks 16x16 in many different places in these biomes.

Have yet to see a Blizz...

Checked the Wiki
*this page is empty*
Searched teh googlz
TE config maybe?
Check CoFH config files, open them all, no config for Blizzes.

Help?

Capital_Mayhem

Jul 29, 2019
What biome gen are you using? I used Biomes O' Plenty and haven't had too much trouble finding them by placing just a few snow blocks down.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
They need solid snow blocks to spawn on, not the snow covering that falls on the ground

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
As other have said, they seem to need solid snow blocks, which you said you're using, and the biome, as far as I can tell, has to be fairly cold. A good example biome is the one in BoP with the ice trees(I forget the name of it), aka the biome where snowmen spawn naturally.
I find a lot of Blizz there.

As for just getting the dust from the rods, the only real use for blizz, you can make it from snowballs and destabilized redstone(IIRC), in case you forgot.

And in case anyone else forgot, the main use for that stuff is making other mods cinnabar into TE3 cinnabar for ore tripling without pulverizing silk touched redstone, which, as a reminder, is really easy to do these days. Even with magic mods.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
Maybe I'm just having bad luck LOL
It seems to follow me from game to game. Gad I hated EQ rare spawn rates... and WoW rare spawn rates, or drop rates from any game I play.. LOL
Wish me luck!

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Icy Hills Biome, that's where you'll find them. If you've read something, somewhere, that tells you Blizz'es can be found in "wintry biomes", that information is incorrect. I have only found Blizz in the Icy Hills, and I have never seen a single one in any other "wintry biome". Glacier biome is a common one that looks perfect for Blizz, for instance... but never seen a single one in Glacier.

jdog1408

Jul 29, 2019
I built a huge mob farm that was 72x72 and I got very few blizzes to spawn so I guess they are just very rare

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
So, and update...
I was hang gliding around, looking for a tainted biome (damned Vitrum) in my overworld, when I stopped to grab a bee hive I was passing over.
I land, and see a weird white and light blue square face on my minimap...
omgomgomgOMG..
I am now the proud owner of a reusable safari net, with one blizz inside!

So, to update, they can be found in the overworld.... but the biome has to be cold/snowy (the one I found the bugger in was covered in snow, but he was underground in a closed off cave....)

Veggetossj

Jul 29, 2019
I was wondering since it worked for witches in the swamplands, but if i activate my division sigil, using the ritual, in a cold biome, do blizzes spawn?

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
I was wondering since it worked for witches in the swamplands, but if i activate my division sigil, using the ritual, in a cold biome, do blizzes spawn?
Not entirely sure, the cursed earth (can be placed if silk touched and has the same effect) may not act as a snow block, because it states their spawning conditions require a snow block

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
Not entirely sure, the cursed earth (can be placed if silk touched and has the same effect) may not act as a snow block, because it states their spawning conditions require a snow block

That's what really caught me off guard about the one I found tho'
Yes there was snow on the ground, but he was underground, in a closed off cave (with a creeper...) No snow on the ground of the cave, let alone snow blocks.
I'm sure he didn't wander into the cave by himself due to
A: it was a small pocket in the ground, with no way out or in
B: I was generating new terrain when he popped up so there wouldn't have been time for him to "run for cover" lol

So, new info on the Blizz mob is, apparently it just needs a cold biome.
The Twilight Forrest, on snow blocks doesn't seem to be the only spawning conditions.

Veggetossj

Jul 29, 2019
That's what really caught me off guard about the one I found tho'
Yes there was snow on the ground, but he was underground, in a closed off cave (with a creeper...) No snow on the ground of the cave, let alone snow blocks.
I'm sure he didn't wander into the cave by himself due to
A: it was a small pocket in the ground, with no way out or in
B: I was generating new terrain when he popped up so there wouldn't have been time for him to "run for cover" lol

So, new info on the Blizz mob is, apparently it just needs a cold biome.
The Twilight Forrest, on snow blocks doesn't seem to be the only spawning conditions.

If you check the TE changelog for the 1.1.2 Monster u see he states that blizzes spawn on stone in cold biomes.

tbh with cursed earth u can even spawn pechs when it is placed in a magical forest biome. When i get back home, im just gonna try to see wether or not it will spawn blizzes.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
If you check the TE changelog for the 1.1.2 Monster u see he states that blizzes spawn on stone in cold biomes.

I had not seen that. Probably because I'm running DW20 and haven't been paying too much attention to changelogs for Monster.

I was just going off of the information that was out there. Seems like a lot of wiki updates are needed! (considering the ftb wiki page on the blizz is blank and all that)

Still, this is good information to share :)

*Edited threat title to reflect.