Blizz

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Jackoffripper

Jul 29, 2019
They should be able to spawn in any cold biome as long as there are snow blocks, the full blocks, not the small covers that happen when it snows.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
I believe they spawn a lit more easily now in the latest 3.0.0.7 updates of TE but you may probably not have that version if you're using one of the FTB packs as that release is very recent.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
Hmmm... might have to setup a blizz farm. Make a chunks worth of snow blocks from snowballs and then lay it in a snow biome with glass walls. That's a lot of snowballs though

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Not sure. I had a lot of trouble finding my first Blizz. I had read "cold biomes" and found out that really wasn't true. I finally got my big break when I read a tip that someone else found one in a "mountainous" biome... when I finally came across an "Ice Hills Biome", I knew it had to be the right place, and it was, I soon found my first one there (along with a whole lotta snow golems too).

But Ice Hills biome is a BoP biome I think. And I've never seen a Blizz in another biome. But I have no experience playing a modpack without BoP, I always use it. So my experience probably isn't that much use.[DOUBLEPOST=1401398190][/DOUBLEPOST]
You can make blizz powder in a liquid transposer with snowballs and destabilized redstone.

I'm now using Blizz bee to make my Blizz powder. But yeah, this tip allowed me to stop using my MFR Auto-Spawner with my Blizz safari net to make my blizz powder for a while. It was a surprise to find this recipe out (same with blaze powder=glowstone+destabilized redstone).

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
One benefit of the later TE3 versions, as mentioned, is that blizz spawns are way less picky, as a single snow block will satisfy them now.
Main downside of course, is "goodbye northern lights"...

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
My first 1.6.4 world I lived near some kind of alpine biome and every day the blizzes would be left over from the night before and torment the cows with snowballs. I didnt know what to do with them, But they became hard to find in subsequent worlds once I learned their usefulness.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
I don't have bop installed. It would make sense that this icyhills biome would spawn if they require blocks of snow. Anything outside BoP doesn't naturally do that. anyway, tis only a small part of the plan. I rely on getting an ample supply of cinnibar to multiply ores 3 fold... especially gold. I also absolutely need it for making shiny ingots for tesseracts. I use tess's and routers pretty heavily in my worlds. I can get cinnabar from silked redstone ores or TC's cinnibars with fluid from blizz powder. In my current world, I don't really have a great way to stock up on emeralds so I have to go the blizz powder route.