Biome Woes

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Posting just to double check my facts.

256 Biome IDs are available in 1.7.10, but numbers 128+ are variations of the first 128. So in fact we have 128 biome "slots" available.

Reading the minecraft wiki, minecraft uses 39 biomes, so leaving the modding scene with 89 free biomes.

Chuck in BoP, that uses 75 biomes leaving 14 more biomes free.

Things are getting tight. AE2 uses a biome, BC uses 2 more biomes, so that's 11 free. I love Twilight Forest and The Erebus, but both of those combined need more than 11 free biomes.

I can't use the 128+ range, as they are supposed to be variations of the first 128, but I see that Thaumcraft uses some of the biome slots in the 192+ range, so it's got me a bit confused as surely they will conflict with the new biomes added by other mods. Seems to generate fine.
Likewise, GrowthCraft uses a biome above 128, and that generates it's mini biomes fine overlayed with any other biome (it's small bamboo forests).

Seems to me we have to be a lot more picky about the number of "adventuring" type mods we add due to the waste that is the 128+ range (most of it is empty).

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Posting just to double check my facts.

256 Biome IDs are available in 1.7.10, but numbers 128+ are variations of the first 128. So in fact we have 128 biome "slots" available.

Reading the minecraft wiki, minecraft uses 39 biomes, so leaving the modding scene with 89 free biomes.

Chuck in BoP, that uses 75 biomes leaving 14 more biomes free.

Things are getting tight. AE2 uses a biome, BC uses 2 more biomes, so that's 11 free. I love Twilight Forest and The Erebus, but both of those combined need more than 11 free biomes.

I can't use the 128+ range, as they are supposed to be variations of the first 128, but I see that Thaumcraft uses some of the biome slots in the 192+ range, so it's got me a bit confused as surely they will conflict with the new biomes added by other mods. Seems to generate fine.
Likewise, GrowthCraft uses a biome above 128, and that generates it's mini biomes fine overlayed with any other biome (it's small bamboo forests).

Seems to me we have to be a lot more picky about the number of "adventuring" type mods we add due to the waste that is the 128+ range (most of it is empty).

that problem that we thought we would never have, too many biomes

Reactions: pc_assassin

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
that problem that we thought we would never have, too many biomes
Yep. Well, seems I've got some likes, so I must be right. Time to review my pack and see what get's the chop. First thoughts are the two oil fields from Buildcraft (I assume if I disable in config, the IDs will free up).
It's not a major issue to have TF biomes generating in the overworld (looks great and the unique dungeons don't generate), just need to ensure they match as a valid alternative.

Haven't totally avoided ID conflicts :p[DOUBLEPOST=1413405146,1413361765][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh well, I'm just going to change some of the TF biomes that sort of match existing biomes, make them +128 variations, and leave the rest, and see what happens :D Personally not too concerned about TF biomes in overworld, it's the only way I'm going to get all the mods I want.

Too many biomes, not enough IDs. Thanks Mojang for screwing the modding community yet again!

Reactions: Zenthon_127

zbeeblebrox

Jul 29, 2019
Would disabling most of BoP's biomes help this problem or not? Like, if a biome is disabled in the configs, could you just set its biome id to whatever number and it won't matter because the game isn't generating it, or does Minecraft still want to reconcile all those numbers with its list regardless of whether they're being generated?

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Would disabling most of BoP's biomes help this problem or not? Like, if a biome is disabled in the configs, could you just set its biome id to whatever number and it won't matter because the game isn't generating it, or does Minecraft still want to reconcile all those numbers with its list regardless of whether they're being generated?
Yep. Disabling biomes in BoP does free up IDs. (I hate garden and frozen forest biomes :p) Trouble is, apart from those two, I like all of BoP biomes :p

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Even the Quagmire?! What time of person are you :p
Sane (according to the voice in my head, my invisible friend, who is a Doctor, says I shouldn't trust it).

I like all the biomes in BoP, even the dank, dark, soggy ones. All full off character, just wouldn't set up home in one...

Reactions: Yulife

Yulife

Jul 29, 2019
Sane (according to the voice in my head, my invisible friend, who is a Doctor, says I shouldn't trust it).

I like all the biomes in BoP, even the dank, dark, soggy ones. All full off character, just wouldn't set up home in one...
You are a hero.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019

I have a hard time setting up a base in biomes that are not either plains or forest.
I just keep looking for decent plains or forest biomes to build a base in

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
In my current game world, I'm limited. Seems my seed is an ocean with islands. Spawn island is 100% taint (that's going to be fun, since spawn is chunkloaded), found another island nearby which is apple orchard, which I'm having to call home. There are a few other specks of grass/sand islands scattered about. Can't explore further, not without supplies of food and water.

My last two worlds were in lavender fields and barley fields.

boondockArtist

Jul 29, 2019
But don't the Twilight Forest biomes have their own little list separate from the others? I thought it was biome.twilightforest=[insert number here] or something like that so they could be sure that biome incompatibilities didn't happen (or shouldn't anyway). Or at that is what I remember understanding when I looked through the configs before, I could be very wrong.

On that note, I do find that the limit for enchantments is also kind of silly and a hassle to deal with. They've caused me more trouble so far compared to biome issues.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Yes, you can easily change the biome IDs in the config. The issue is that anything above 128 is a variation of the IDs below 128. So if you assign TF to above 128, you have a chance of them appearing in overworld.

The whole new Alternative biomes system has effectively reduced the number of free IDs by 50%, even though only a small handful of the biomes have alternatives in vanilla, wasting most of that 128 range.
Doesn't actually affect those mods dimensions, it's just the overworld will get biome overcrowded, with a chance of other mods biomes leaking through.