Biofuel the Stoo42 way... DW20 public beta SMP

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
wow, that's alot of time. I'm surprised binnie hasn't added machines for trees yet. but it's awesome that gendustry does give us the option to do so.
I love Forestry, but I hate how much time it can take to get a specific breed you want. there are ofcourse ways to speed things up, but I have to admit, I love machines that help you with this

I can't agree more. I bred sapling traits the "old-fashioned way" one world, and that was enough. It was quite a challenge in terms of time and frustration - a single "dead end" experiment can cost several RL days in lost saplings and time,. It's one of things that you do once, and is boring/tedious the next time through.

I feel no guilt (now) using the shortcut Gendustry Sampler and Imprinter. I still like breeding tree species - that's not difficult and simply takes time and real estate. Not much frustration in breeding just species.

Stoo42

Jul 29, 2019
I agree that bees can comprise the core of an automatic resource-generation system, yet building said system requires a substantial amount of time, planning, and real estate, rivaling just about any system possible in modded minecraft. For me, the joy is not simply the end product. Having a bee-centric system whereby all possible resources are generated at a sufficiently high rate is indeed approximating creative mode. The enjoyment is rather in the process of progression.

I'm 5+ weeks into my MF2 world and I've (still) only bred 30 or so species of bees and haven't quite yet automated the production and insertion of Impregnated Frames into the Alvearies. The vast majority of the real estate of my base and my power goes into bees directly or indirectly. I estimate I have a good 5+ weeks left in RL before I'm anywhere close to "creative mode" in terms of automatic resource generation. 10+ weeks for a world is just about right for me. I'm ready to move on to different mods and try something new after 2+ months.

Contrast that with "pumping the Nether", and you'd be hard-pressed to pick more polar opposites than lava-power and bees.

Some highlights of my base and bee-centric system:

• Bred saplings for maximum power efficiency in terms of power per square meter
  • Bred lemon trees for efficient juice production (also for power production)
  • Bred chestnut trees for seed oil for Impregnated casings and sticks (for frames)
  • 16 Alvearies (plan to build a total of 32)
  • AE-less automated frame production
  • Automated Alveary re-insertion and bee product processing (lots of Centrifuges)
  • Set of Extra Bees machines with ample supply of Genetic fluid
  • Gendustry Sampler and Imprinter to streamline trait imprinting (so much nicer than the Incolator-->Sythensizer-->Purifier shuffle)
  • Thaumcraft for Essence of False Life (Metabolic Frames are much more effective than Soul Frames in MF2)
  • Thaumcraft for Thaumastatic Harness to fly around in Nether to find hives
  • Thaumcraft for Thaumic Grafter and Scoop
  • Osmotic Enchanter for Repair II on said Grafter and Scoop
  • Infusion Altar to make said Osmotic Enchanter and Harness (among other things, of course)
  • Apiaries and chunk loaders in several different biomes for biome-specific breeding
  • Large chunk of my power for all the above
  • Large chunk of my AE storage for all the above

Indeed, there's hardly a mod or part of my base that is not somehow involved with bees. Bees are the thing which touch just about everything and you'd be hard-pressed to design and build a system more complex than one with the simple requirement of:

"Use bees to continuously make all resources possible, and make it look nice"

As a side note, while I like Gendustry, I think the Mutatron takes away from the breeding experience. There's a reason for breeding mechanics like biome-specific and special-block-under-the-Apiary/Alveary in the traditional Forestry ecosystem.

I guess my comment on bees is that this is a well worn path for me. I've had 30+ alvearies, completely automated with 6x impregnated frames per alveary (and associated seed oil production). This was with GregTech installed as well, so I was turning all my platinum dusts into iridium. The Emeralds I ground down for berylium, and I ended up getting two GT Fusion rings pretty easily just through bees.
Throw in the fact that I've done this path like three different times now in one form or another, and its just time for something new.

I do 100% agree with you on the fun being the process of progression. I actually really like the initial setup of a base, getting the first things set up, deciding how to lay everything out. I'm also with you on not feeling guilt in using things like genetic machines for bees. I've done it the long, slow way before.

I actually have a similar approach to Mystcraft. I actually give everyone on our server a creative spawned notebook. We've all been and hunted out all the pages a couple of times now the proper way. It just fills the server up with random ages you visit once and then never go back - as well as just being a bit tedious. In reality to get most things done you only need a handful of ages anyway. We got up to nearly 200 ages on one of the servers, with 8 of us all trying to race to get pages... We dont need to do that again! :p

Reactions: MigukNamja

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
I can't agree more, Stoo42. Once you've done something - anything - enough times, you are likely to get bored with it.

Agree on Mystcraft, too. The good thing about Mystcraft done the 'proper way' is you have to use the mod a lot. The bad thing about Mystcraft the 'proper way' is you have to use the mod a lot (and generate throw-away ages). Mystcraft can be hard on a server. Lots of CPU for worldgen and chunks from abandoned ages.

Stoo42

Jul 29, 2019
Ok so I said I was going to post up a quick vid on the failings of my setup. A quick explanation of what went wrong, how I recovered, and what I'm trying to do to prevent it from happening again. My fix up is not complete yet, but I thought it was still worth makng the vid.

Reactions: MigukNamja

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
@Stoo42 Very nice setup, sir, and thanks for sharing. Clean and well-done. I love the huge radioactive symbol on the roof @ 9:00.

Stoo42

Jul 29, 2019
@Stoo42 Very nice setup, sir, and thanks for sharing. Clean and well-done. I love the huge radioactive symbol on the roof @ 9:00.

Thanks!

I've started to make a few vids leading up to the Nuclear building - just covering automating getting the coloured dyes, and also automating Tinkers Construct..

Most recent vid is:

Jack0928PC

Jul 29, 2019
This was actually very entertaining, learned a thing or two aswell. Well done, I look forward to what you do in the future.

Stoo42

Jul 29, 2019
This was actually very entertaining, learned a thing or two aswell. Well done, I look forward to what you do in the future.

Hey Jack, thanks for the feedback. I'm finding that I'm learning a thing or two as well just in the process of making these! Not to mention the pointers I get from other forum people as well.

I probably shouldn't post more on this thread, as I'm kinda past the biofuel bit (for now). Episode 6 I posted up a couple of days ago, and should have a 7th one up shortly on the new liquid construction foam. :)

Reactions: Jack0928PC