Big Reactors Mod : General Discussion

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Now that's an interesting idea.

I hadn't considered the use of the fuel rods, but if the program is recoded to reactor.setAllControlRodLevels( (reactor.getEnergyStored()/100000)) every 5 or 10 seconds, it'd probably stabilize itself.

Thanks

setAllControlRodLevels accepts a float?
Or does your division force a floored integer result?[DOUBLEPOST=1405965596][/DOUBLEPOST]
Dont really need a centralized power source for everything though, do we? I consider tesseracts to be mighty cheaty, and actually like to see the pipes and wires in my builds, so it looks connected and machine-like. Especially in my latest world where my main motivation to play is to cover large distances with trains and carts, seems small power gens dedicated to one specific function would suit me best. Each balanced so it produces just enough energy.
Makes sense.

I have a few quarries in my hardcore game with a tiny BR nearby. I haven't powered 2 of them yet. I'm strongly considering trying to get power to them via carts somehow.

Edit: tesseracts require iridium plating and other insanity if anyone's wondering, hence my bizarre plan.

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
setAllControlRodLevels accepts a float?
Or does your division force a floored integer result?
Neither...would have to fix that..

reactor.setAllControlRodLevels( math.floor((reactor.getEnergyStored()/100000)))

would be correct (if probably overusing parentheses). Thanks ;)

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Neither...would have to fix that..

reactor.setAllControlRodLevels( math.floor((reactor.getEnergyStored()/100000)))

would be correct (if probably overusing parentheses). Thanks ;)
Pleasure :) Its funny cuz I have zero familiarity with the language; it just caught my eye :p

Some languages (C off the top of my head) will produce an integer if you divide two integers. For all I knew your function was going to work just fine.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Dont really need a centralized power source for everything though, do we? I consider tesseracts to be mighty cheaty, and actually like to see the pipes and wires in my builds, so it looks connected and machine-like. Especially in my latest world where my main motivation to play is to cover large distances with trains and carts, seems small power gens dedicated to one specific function would suit me best. Each balanced so it produces just enough energy.

But I will eventually have to build a turbine just because they are cool. And then its time to come up with creative ways to waste that energy.

Good point. Big Reactors are meant to be ...well... Big. Small, on-the-spot power generators like Dynamos would work best for you. And, kudos (props) on the trains and carts. Nice way to go vs. Tesseracts :)

And, Turbine are pretty darn cool. Trying to get them to spin at 900-ish or 1800-ish rpm is rarely trivial. Lots of fiddling with steam input, coils, and blades. Also, *definitely* a steady-state power generator and not on-demand. Good for stuff like MFR Lasers.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Well, even though I have the mod installed and have used it in my last world, honestly I dont quite see the point. It does nothing that a bunch of small engines couldnt do. If I wanted to, I could build a big rectangle and fill it with liquid ender and call it a reactor, I dont need a new mod with its own ores to do that. Literally the only reason I installed it was because the textures look pretty decent so at least its a good looking pointless rectangle. Oh and the fact that turbines exist also helped me decide, because hey...they move.
I'm in the same boat, I never have the need for all that power generation even with configed increased power usage for some mods. I think part of the problem is that everyone is now used to Dynamos, that produce double the amount of power compared to BC engines, and equal to top tier steel engine from RC. That is something that has bugged me since they changed from 40 to 80. As a result, it seems every RF generating mod uses 80 as standard, while all the tech still has the same old power usage requirements.
I wish I could tweak the dynamo output rate.

Reactions: MigukNamja

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I'm in the same boat, I never have the need for all that power generation even with configed increased power usage for some mods. I think part of the problem is that everyone is now used to Dynamos, that produce double the amount of power compared to BC engines, and equal to top tier steel engine from RC. That is something that has bugged me since they changed from 40 to 80. As a result, it seems every RF generating mod uses 80 as standard, while all the tech still has the same old power usage requirements.
I wish I could tweak the dynamo output rate.
Amen. Ability to configure power outputs (in lots of mods) would go a long, long way towards making them more compatible in more modpacks.

Reactions: MigukNamja

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Amen. Ability to configure power outputs (in lots of mods) would go a long, long way towards making them more compatible in more modpacks.

Yeah, no config in cofh that I could find for this. The best I think of is making them more expensive via MineTweaker. Make them use steel gears and a redstone block, for instance.

Reactions: Pyure

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
I don't use big reactors anymore. It was fairly fun to do so, but I dislike it's efficienty.
Everyone just looks at how much fuel it consumes, but very few actually take in account how much fuel you need to actually make a reactor! I mean, it's awesome to produce 20k rf per tick for 0.2 mb per tick, but most of us forgot to calculate that it took you 300 yellowrium too make the reactor. This inefficienty just leads me away from it :(

The other main reason I don't use it, is that I start with RoC as my first mod, therefor leading me directly into ReC. I dislike the magnetostatic for any other use then long distance/interdimentional transport so producing rf is not my priority

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
My only criticism of Big Reactors relates to the fuel consumption.
In mod packs with Quarries, MFR lasers, yellorium Bees or Crops, the fuel consumption is arguably much too low.

In mod packs without the "lag for infinite resources" tradeoff, the fuel consumption is high enough to make you a slave to the machine.

PS. I do love the way that infinite power (or infinite anything) is considered balanced as long as it causes lag.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
My only criticism of Big Reactors relates to the fuel consumption.
In mod packs with Quarries, MFR lasers, yellorium Bees or Crops, the fuel consumption is arguably much too low.
That's down to poor config adjustments from the pack creator. I believe you can adjust the efficiency of the Reactor via configs.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
just remembered something that has been bugging me for quite some time... mobs being able to spawn inside the turbines...
I hate it whenever I see mobs spawning inside the turbines, if they do I atleast want to see them getting chopped up by the turbine blades

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
just remembered something that has been bugging me for quite some time... mobs being able to spawn inside the turbines...
I hate it whenever I see mobs spawning inside the turbines, if they do I atleast want to see them getting chopped up by the turbine blades

The github patch notes have that as being "fixed" in recent builds.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
fixed as in mobs no longer spawn inside turbines or fixed as in mobs will brutally be chopped up into tiny pieces when inside a turbine? :p

Unfortunately, fixed as in mobs will no longer spawn on any Big Reactor rector or turbine blocks.

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Pleasure :) Its funny cuz I have zero familiarity with the language; it just caught my eye :p

Some languages (C off the top of my head) will produce an integer if you divide two integers. For all I knew your function was going to work just fine.
Turns out this didn't work either. The interpreter didn't like dealing with the result from calling Math.floor, so I had to store it in a temporary variable.

The code, for anyone who might be interested, ended up being
Code:
energyPercent = math.floor(reactor.getEnergyStored()/100000)
reactor.setAllControlRodLevels( energyPercent )

I've got that in a while loop to dynamically set the fuel rods as suggested. Looks like it's holding steady between 87 and 88% (obviously, the reactor is completely overkill at this point)

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
I've got that in a while loop to dynamically set the fuel rods as suggested. Looks like it's holding steady between 87 and 88% (obviously, the reactor is completely overkill at this point)

Wow, very glad that worked !

a9ed842f739e930dc8e9340bafbbaeaf77994c50c74fc6a86b046b54cb9b2c59.jpg
[DOUBLEPOST=1406032541][/DOUBLEPOST]

Yeah, "dangit!" is right. If I could place a spawner in there and a vacuum hopper, that would make one sweet mob grinder.

Guest : "Say, that's a nice turbine. You power your MFR Laser with that ?"
Me : "Nah, I just use that as a mob chopper."​

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019

[DOUBLEPOST=1406032541][/DOUBLEPOST]

Yeah, "dangit!" is right. If I could place a spawner in there and a vacuum hopper, that would make one sweet mob grinder.

Guest : "Say, that's a nice turbine. You power your MFR Laser with that ?"
Me : "Nah, I just use that as a mob chopper."​

add yourself the mob amputation/dismemberment mods and add a mod that adds bloodstains like zombie awareness does and you've got yourself a nice horror house :p
imagine if there would also be a blender sound whenever an entity gets chopped up

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019

+1 for an A-Team picture.

I'm willing to wager (and think I'd win with zero contest), that fuel consumption is actually higher with the reactor running as is than with the on/off method I was using. Since I'm not using the radiation to improve output (if I don't misunderstand various posts on the subject...my control rods are not in contact), switching it on and off provides 3k rf/t for about 90 seconds, burning something like .0030 mb of fuel per tick. Something like that. Probably a little higher. Running it full-time at 88% is producing a bit over 300 rf/t, and burning 0.0008 mb of fuel. Fuel consumption is obviously higher. This actually encourages me to consider reactors of differing levels of efficiency. Maybe something that has fuel rods in contact and makes better use of the radiation levels.

maybe.

On a different subject, for liquid cooling. Is cryotheum as good as liquid ender? Given the difficulty of even finding a blizz and the steps necessary to make it, you'd think it'd be the best stuff ever conceived in comparison :)