Big Reactors & Dynamos

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
1. An actively cooled BR produces steam. This steam can be used in either a rotor, or steam dynamos.

2. Yellorium fuel depletes into waste product which can be reformed into materials required for the rotor.

Query: Would some of you forgo the creation of a rotor, and opt to utilize the steam in steam dynamos, simply out of convenience? You would end up with a bunch of waste product, which you cannot use. This would happen regardless, unless you were actively scaling your BR process.

I am just trying to justify building a passively cool reactor, such that I don't waste materials on steam dynamos, and eventually evolve my process into involving a rotor and an actively cooled BR. This just means that I would have to incorporate a scaling strategy.

Since, Skyblock is well.. A skyblock, building your base is not an arbitrary task. Plans to expand, etc. should go through a rigourous decision making process. This is why this query is being presented to the forums.

Scarecrow560

Jul 29, 2019
The waste product (cynate) can be re-processed into more fuel(Blutonium) the reactor can use.

Actively cooled reactors are slightly less efficient than passively cooled. I'm not entirely sure how many dynamos would be needed to pump out the same power. Go test it out in a creative world.

Reactions: RedBoss

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
The waste product (cynate) can be re-processed into more fuel(Blutonium) the reactor can use.

Actively cooled reactors are slightly less efficient than passively cooled. I'm not entirely sure how many dynamos would be needed to pump out the same power. Go test it out in a creative world.

What? Then is it just that actively cooled reactors can produce more energy? I thought the progression was to acquire blutonium, such that you could build your rotor.

Unless we're mixing up terms if. Active using steam, passively uses coolant fluid.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Yellorium used in reactors results in cyanite waste output.
They are used in the turbine blocks creation or reprocessed into blutonium to be used as fuel again. Blutonium is also required for 1 of the turbine block.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Scarecrow560

Jul 29, 2019
Actively cooled reactor on its own are less efficient so to speak than passively cooled, it what I meant to say. The reason being that the turbine makes the whole setup more efficient. Not sure if the dynamos would make it more efficient aswell.

Xeteth

Jul 29, 2019
I am having trouble with the Big Reactor setup with turbines - I am piping steam out of the reactor and connecting it to 4 turbines (Yeah, I need a lot of power). This seems to work fine and is generating HEAPS of power which is what I want. The issue is I am either not producing enough steam or I produce too much steam in the reactor.

As soon as I adjust the control rods to produce more steam the steam gauge fills up (which I what I want) however then the reactor slowly starts rising in heat until a point at which it completely uses all the water and boom temp goes up ridiculously.

ALL the sides of my reactor are currently coolant ports with full water being pumped in, as well as Gel Cryotheum in the reactor to try and cool it...

What am I doing wrong?

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Dynamo using steam from the active cooled reactors is really inefficient.
The reactor turbine is multitudes better in terms of steam:rf ratio when compared to the dynamos.
E.g. I have 2 36HP steam boilers from Railcraft, feeding steam into the Big Reactor's reactor turbine yielding 15k RF/t. If those 1440 mB of steam was fed into 36 steam dynamos, you'll only get 2880 RF/t.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Scarecrow560

Jul 29, 2019
I am having trouble with the Big Reactor setup with turbines - I am piping steam out of the reactor and connecting it to 4 turbines (Yeah, I need a lot of power). This seems to work fine and is generating HEAPS of power which is what I want. The issue is I am either not producing enough steam or I produce too much steam in the reactor.

As soon as I adjust the control rods to produce more steam the steam gauge fills up (which I what I want) however then the reactor slowly starts rising in heat until a point at which it completely uses all the water and boom temp goes up ridiculously.

ALL the sides of my reactor are currently coolant ports with full water being pumped in, as well as Gel Cryotheum in the reactor to try and cool it...

What am I doing wrong?

Gelid cry will not help a actively cooled reactors.

Regarding the water use, you need to be pumping in the amount of steam it is producing. So go on a creative map and test with your size reactors see how much water you need to pump in.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm, watching the "Minecrafters" tutorial on BR will help you a lot. I haven't touched the mod yet, but completely understand everything that is fundamental. Specifics are antics and can be learned once I delve into the mod.

Your active system does not need cooling, as you are trying to produce steam to be used in a turbine. As such, the main thing you need to be focused on is whether (a) you are inputting enough water, (b) you are producing enough steam to get your turbine to the most efficient RPM (there are two goal RPMs iirc).

I also suggest having one turbine, which has multiple coils with optimized metals, and more rotor blades. It's less casing materials in the long run, and is a lot easier of a system to optimize in terms of engineering.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Personally I wouldnt worry too much about efficiency otherwise I would just use dynamos. Instead I would use the turbines as a major aesthetic feature first and foremost and then figure out how to make them not entirely wasteful. Seems like theres so many interesting things one could do with a giant propeller especially on a skyblock map.

Methusalem

Jul 29, 2019
Gelid cry will not help a actively cooled reactors.
Regarding the water use, you need to be pumping in the amount of steam it is producing. So go on a creative map and test with your size reactors see how much water you need to pump in.

Gelid Cryotheum >will< help. The best designs for a passively cooled reactor perform also really well when turning them into actively cooled reactors for steam generation.

One big advantage of using BR's reactor and turbine together, is that you can make it a closed system. Water is turned into steam in the reactor, pumped into the turbine, turned back into water there and pumped back into the reactor. Beyond that you only need very little water for keep the reactor running. Probably not even any water at all after you got the loop going.
All limitations pumping water and steam around in this loop is in the pipe connections. I would suggest to use tesseracts instead, there is not transfer limit.

Mr_Turing

Jul 29, 2019
Although you can make turbines as large as possible, anything with more than 80 blades is too large and loses efficiency. Each blade can use up to 25mb/t of steam, therefore to achieve the current maximum of 2000mb/t you need 80 blade per turbine.
Regarding water consumption, you don't HAVE to consume water, the turbine has an option to close its vents and output the water it condenses from the steam, that way you need to put 2-3 buckets of water on the reactor, turn it on and cycle the fluids back and forth with tesseracts, translocators, ender io, mekanism pipes etc.