Big Reactors: A spreadsheet, mechanics summary and reactor example.

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019
I havent actually tested it with the direwolf pack. However, running the latest MFR and Big Reactors I tried the following:

I looked at my spreadsheet and decided on going for an actively cooled reactor with an efficiency of 55000 Buckets of steam per fuel ingot. I then assumed a enderium turbine produces 24000 RF per 2 buckets of steam for a total of 660 Million RF per fuel ingot. For ease of experimenting I reduced this to 650 Million RF (default configs).
Note: a passive reactor can never even get close to these numbers, a realistic value is probably around 120MRF/ingot. A great new config setting is in the latest Big Reactor release that allows the tuning of reactor and turbine output seperatly. Meaning this could be brought closer, though I dont advise it as turbines are realy expensive and time consuming to make. And if there is even a single exploit or favorable yellorite gain per RF spent method then passive reactors will take over.

I then set up 4 laser drills, each with 6 yellow foci and 13 filled enderium energy cells. Good for 650 Million RF each.

At the end, each laser drill had produced 4 yellorium ore (small sample, I know). Each ore is good for 8 dust in a pulverizer, 12 if used with rich slag, 16 if used with cinnabar, and up to 10.8 if using a sag mill with dark matter balls.

Each yellorium fuel ingot gets turned into a cyanite ingot. 2 cyanite = 1 blutonium. 1 Blutonium = 1 yellorium. In the end this basicly comes down to 1 yellorium = 2 fuel cycles. So with a pulverizer we get 16 fuel cycles per ingot.

For Direwolfs pack we use fuel 10 times as fast. So using 1 fuel cycle we get 16/10 = 1.6 fuel cycles with a moderatly decent reactor and no special ore processing.

Is that enough? IMO, no. However, its a big improvent of no changes. Why isnt it enough? Well because it isnt to difficult to get an efficiency of 70000/80000 Buckets per fuel ingot. We have x3 and x4 ore processing available. And we have ludicrite turbines producing 28kRF/t. I think it would be better if it was nerfed abit more so that a 55000B/ingot design using 24kRF/t turbines and x2 processing produces enough fuel to break even. AKA, not 10 times more fuel used but 16 times.

Likewise, yellorite ore spawn should be configured in such a way that running a quarry returns equal amounts of fuel as it takes to extract that yellorite using the above parameters. I have no idea how much that actually is because I have never actually used quarry's. But my feeling says yellorite ore spawning should be reduced.

64diamondblocks

Jul 29, 2019
I'm running the Direwolf20 pack and I heavily modified Direwolf20's Reactor setup he built in season 7 let's play, made it BETTER!!!!

A SUPER TESTED GOOD STEAM PRODUCING REACTOR/TURBINE DESIGN (FOR THE DIREWOLF20 PACK) is 7x7 on the base and 9 blocks high, on the outside (7x7x9). Place 5 fuel rods in a + plus sign at the center of the reactor. Then fill all the rest up with cryotheum (BC floodgates make it easy).
Make it actively cooled.

Make 5 fully sized turbines with at least 80 blades in each, and put exactly 37 enderium blocks (in each of these 5 turbines). Make a sixth smaller turbine that uses about 1500 millibuckets of steam (a little smaller than the others).

Connect the reactor to these six turbines, and run the reactor at FULL power. It will produce around 11.5 Buckets/tick of steam, and you can slightly reduce the steam consumption of the sixth (small) turbine a little below 1500 mb/t if the reactor produces a little less than that.

It will use 1.55 mb/t of fuel.

This will get you over 130,000 RF/t at a Fuel consumption of 1.55 mb/t. Since it is DW20, it's 10 times more than it's supposed to be. Still, you can fill a Resonant Energy Cell fully up with less than 1 yellorium ingot. And THAT's with the reactor always running. Ideally you should put some ComputerCraft automation so The Reactor will only run when the turbines get too slow. With THAT setup, you can fill around 5 Resonant Cells with 1 yellorite ingot!!!!!!!

5 Resonant Cells per 1 Yellorite Ingot...That's POWERFUL!!!!!!!!
Ideally you should lower the steam usage of the sixth turbine from 1500 to 1200 mb/t, so you can run a Rock Crusher and a Steam Oven to process all your ores.

Also try 1 MFR laser drill with green focuses and you will get a lot of uranium that is OreDicted with Yellorium. That will use about 20,000 RF/t, a good portion, but you will still have about 110,000 RF/t (which is still a TON!!!!!), and don't forget the laser drill won't be always running.

64diamondblocks

Jul 29, 2019
I think that some method of making an infinite loop is necessary, just make it quite difficult (more difficult than it is now).