Big Reactor Optimal Points

defakto

Jul 29, 2019
Can someone confirm that the first three optimal turbine RPM points are

2727 RPM
1842 RPM (I've heard 1840 a lot which this is close to but definitely higher)
983.5 RPM (Seems higher than the standard 900 you read)

This is based off my 7x7 turbine running 32 ludicrite, and 80 turbine blades. All were derived from some PID code I've been working on for reactor/turbine control using computercraft.

adamich

Jul 29, 2019
There is some dispersion in RPM based on rounds in formulas in mod.
But there is no optimal in ~2700 RPM. by mod autor words.

defakto

Jul 29, 2019
It was never intended to have an optimum point above the 1800ish range but it does have one. I also understand at a later date overspeed turbines may explode violently.

Every 900 rpm or so you get an optimal, and minimal point on the power input. I spun a turbine up to 3100ish and used a computer craft program to log data while the turbine was spinning down. As you get higher it gets harder to hold the optimal point by disengaging and re engaging the turbine.

I have the graphs available online if you'd like to see them.

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
The relevant line of code is here, specifically the efficiency formula is 0.75+0.25*cos(RPM/(45.5pi)), so actually you should have your peak about every 898RPM, however as the equations use rotor speed elsewhere you can see a peak above that due to the increased benefit from speed outweighing the decreased efficiency, the precise peak will vary based off the turbine as a result.

defakto

Jul 29, 2019
That's where it gets interesting, when you start looking out at the rpm ranges +-100 rpm in some cases in optimal ouput vs optimal efficiency.