better early game mining light source then torches?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019
Doesnt get anny more conveniant then coal and stone rods into torches IMO. You can basicly spam them :)

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
There is no such thing.

I'd settle for a bloody mid range light source, I guess thaumcraft magic lanterns fill that niche well but not everyone likes magic lamps in their factory and wrath lamps require diamonds (as at now at least) or at least mining at diamond level. Not late game but not early either.

I remember Xycrafts aluminum torches, they looked cool and where brighter with a more consistent light level but their radius was only one block wider so not a great improvement.

Also Unrelated.

Jack o lantern nooks. Fmp swag
Someone's been playing Blood n' Bones.

Wait... zombies can't wreck jack o lanterns/ nooks? I gotta try BnB again. I couldn't make any progress primarily due to those zombies that attack torches, I was underground 98% of the time at least until the invader zombies let in the doom creepers demolishing my smelter casueing a prompt ragequit. At least I think it's zombies I never saw them actually destroy the torches just the horribly scary breaking sounds that I didn't know where the torches till my 5th attempt at the pack. It was a constant "WTF was that breaking sound!!" /sob in corner. I couldn't light things up enough to give my self a reprieve (if there's such a thing in that pack).

BnB is a bizzare pack, it's not the jumping/ teleporting creepers that make it hard, it's not the hunger overhaul tweaks, it's not even the modified tech progression. It's how those light snatching zombies prevent you from establishing on anything that isn't a well lit sky platform. At least it was for me...

pderuiter

Jul 29, 2019
There is no such thing.

I'd settle for a bloody mid range light source, I guess thaumcraft magic lanterns fill that niche well but not everyone likes magic lamps in their factory and wrath lamps require diamonds (as at now at least) or at least mining at diamond level. Not late game but not early either.

I remember Xycrafts aluminum torches, they looked cool and where brighter with a more consistent light level but their radius was only one block wider so not a great improvement.

Also Unrelated.

Wait... zombies can't wreck jack o lanterns/ nooks? I gotta try BnB again. I couldn't make any progress primarily due to those zombies that attack torches, I was underground 98% of the time at least until the invader zombies let in the doom creepers demolishing my smelter casueing a prompt ragequit. At least I think it's zombies I never saw them actually destroy the torches just the horribly scary breaking sounds that I didn't know where the torches till my 5th attempt at the pack. It was a constant "WTF was that breaking sound!!" /sob in corner. I couldn't light things up enough to give my self a reprieve (if there's such a thing in that pack).

BnB is a bizzare pack, it's not the jumping/ teleporting creepers that make it hard, it's not the hunger overhaul tweaks, it's not even the modified tech progression. It's how those light snatching zombies prevent you from establishing on anything that isn't a well lit sky platform. At least it was for me...
I havent played it, but ca'nt you place torches 3 high so they can't reach them?