Best way to transport lava from the nether?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Acegamer9

Jul 29, 2019
Hey guys so I play on an FTB server and I am trying to transport lava from the nether to my house to use for geothermal generators. I know that there is some super complicated way to do this with railcraft liquid unloaders and loaders but I am not very good at railcraft mechanics. Is there any efficient way to get the lava to my house some other way? I'd also be willing to generate the EU in the nether but the only way I know to get that EU to my house is also with railcraft. Any suggestions?

Tabu

Jul 29, 2019
Mystcraft portal/Railcraft setup. At least for me. It is an efficient way. Some will say it is expensive, but it is not so much so that you couldn't get it done with a decent supply of resources.

Direwolf20 used it in his SMP series. If you check out his earlier videos in that series you can get an idea of how to do it.

Don't underestimate yourself :) I am sure with a little bit of patience and some trial and error you can get it working!

ItharianEngineering

Jul 29, 2019
You can use ender chests and liquid transposers from thermal expansion. It is more efficient than using railcraft/mystcraft. It is a little more expensive as it needs blaze rods and ender pearls to create the chests. You need 4 chests 2 liquid transposers a pump and a way to power everything. The liquid transposer in the nether can be placed directly on top of the pump and you have it output cells to a ender chest which has the cells pumped out into another liquid transposer in the over world which unloads them into a tank. You have the empty cells placed into another ender chest and pumped into the nether liquid transposer. The system reuses the cells so aside from the initial setup it is self sustaining until you run the area dry. It also causes less lag than using railcraft as it doesn't revolve around entities. Don't forget to add world anchors too so the area stays loaded. :D

Reactions: Captain Neckbeard

Captain Neckbeard

Jul 29, 2019
When Redpower's included you can rig up some Deployers with some Pipe/Tube shenanigans and a couple Ender Chests to transfer Lava from a Pump and Tank in the Nether to an Overworld Tank pretty easily. Until then, I believe you're stuck with melting down Netherack in a Magma Crucible, or learning about Railcraft and Mystcraft Portals.

MektonZero

Jul 29, 2019
[quote="Acegamer9, post: 49474, member: 6037" Any suggestions?[/quote]
Bah, if you want efficient, use a nuclear reactor. :)

Rube Goldberg method:
Build 1 tree farm and a wheat farm from Forestry, with some torches/glowstone to keep production up.
Automate dirt delivery from your quarries and use buildcraft to automate humus production via carpenter and moistener.
One fermenter and 3 stills to convert all your excess saplings, excess seeds (via the plantball recipe) and most of your wheat into biofuel; squeezing apples into juice for a bit of free mulch and an occasional fermenter boost.
Run that fuel into a 3x3x3 LP Boiler from Railcraft.
While your quarries are delivering dirt, have them deliver cobble into three Magma Crucibles and pump the resulting lava into a trio of geothermal generators. 54 EU/t forever, not to mention a couple or three hundred extra buckets of fuel per real world day and you can turn the wood into charcoal and burn that in generators for more power if desired.

Other than the geothermals, that's my current world setup to run my 8 Laser Assembly Table, BC, Forestry and Thermal Expansion machines. For EU I use a breeder reactor that charges 88 cells per cycle from 1 Uranium and a stable setup that gives me 46 million EU per run with the occasional advanced solar panels thrown in to run things like distant quarries and the centrifuges for my beekeeping.

Captain Neckbeard

Jul 29, 2019
You can use ender chests and liquid transposers from thermal expansion. It is more efficient than using railcraft/mystcraft. It is a little more expensive as it needs blaze rods and ender pearls to create the chests. You need 4 chests 2 liquid transposers a pump and a way to power everything. The liquid transposer in the nether can be placed directly on top of the pump and you have it output cells to a ender chest which has the cells pumped out into another liquid transposer in the over world which unloads them into a tank. You have the empty cells placed into another ender chest and pumped into the nether liquid transposer. The system reuses the cells so aside from the initial setup it is self sustaining until you run the area dry. It also causes less lag than using railcraft as it doesn't revolve around entities. Don't forget to add world anchors too so the area stays loaded. :D
Hot damn. I wasn't aware you could reverse the Liquid Transposer. Magmatic Engines just got a lot more viable for me, thanks.

ItharianEngineering

Jul 29, 2019
Yep, you just have to click the bucket icon on the transposer and it will empty cells that it is given. A setup like that can pump ~30 buckets a minute from the nether, while the railcraft setup is lucky to keep up half that rate.

eable2

Jul 29, 2019
It does. But since this post, a much simpler option has become available: Tesseracts from thermal expansion. They function as ender chests, but for liquids.

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
Tesseract and or Phased pipes are the best way. Not the most creative, but the easiest to set up/upgrade. I used phased pipes. 1 geothermal generator 1 electric engine 1 peice of wire and 1 can of lava to jumpstart it. Takes literally 10 sec to setup a brand new area.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
This topic was started before tesseracts existed. Probably not much of a point to keep replying to it.

1ManleyMiner

Jul 29, 2019
I'm glad someone replied to it so I could learn more about it! Only found it by the "Whats New" option of the forum. ;)