Best way to start A new world.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Liam O'Leary

Jul 29, 2019
So I am playing Direwolf20 pack and I am having some trouble. I always start a world, mine a bit, make some tinkers tools and dabble into redpower and then I lose interest. I am losing interest because I dont know what to do! I have been watching direwolfs stream and thats been helping but how do I start off a world so I can get some decent tools and some sort of base set up. Also what are some things you should make in the earlier stages of the game?

GoldenGamerUK

Jul 29, 2019
Ore doubling, bit of auto mining, basic farms, or if your a maniac like me.... Start investing in TNT so you can blow shit up!

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Day 1:
Do vanilla things. Cut down tree, make crafting bench and furnace and wooden tools.
Dig into side of hill, make torches and all that bull.
Make stencil table, pattern chest, part builder and tool station.
Wait out night, dig a hole etc.

Day 2:
Find clay and sand and gravel and make grout.
Dig down and find lava pool.
Congrats you now have ore doubling!

After that, decide which power type you want, which fuel type you're going to rely on etc etc. Build a fortress with TNT cannons poking out of it, KILL EVERYTHING. Proclaim yourself supreme ruler, you know a standard friday afternoon

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Personally, I rush straight into Blood Magic until I get the Bound Blade, then I focus on power and actually building a house.

It's not in the DW20 pack, but it's worth adding in my opinion.

eric167

Jul 29, 2019
im on the Monster pack, and my advice is thus:

first few days just vanilla stuff, pick a cave or something to build up a base. get a farm going. mine.
pick 2-4 mods and get their basics. for me ive gone Tinkers, TE. this lets me get tools, basic doubling, smelting that doesn't burn up my coal supply.
pick one to dive into, and a few others as supports for that.
main: rotarycraft. lots of neat stuff, 5x ore multiplier.
supports: TE, Tinkers, MFR, AE.

current roadblocks are enderpearls and blaze rods. time to hike a few kilometers in the nether. AE system is next on my list.

if you get bored of your main or stuck somewhere, pick something else to try out for a while. if no mod stands out, pick something you would like to automate/make, and go do it.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
current roadblocks are enderpearls and blaze rods. time to hike a few kilometers in the nether

Blaze rods are the main thing I spend my time trying to work around, since I almost never find a nether fortress near my portal once I make one. It's why I hunt the overworld for endermen to make tesseracts rather than try to make ender tanks, and why I never bother with vanilla potion-ey stuff. Once I get power armour and flight and start buzzing round the nether, potions are a bit redundant anyway.

Oh and blaze powder for other stuff you can make with glowstone dust and molten redstone, so I don't even need to find blaze rods for that.

Feniks

Jul 29, 2019
First tning you need is writable book. Then just make nots in it of all the things you want to do. Then just pick one do a little bit until you bored and then write what you need to do to finish it pick another project and go.

xSINZx

Jul 29, 2019
Not a fan of manual mining!
It's all about the resources... Quarry asap. How many diamonds? 14? While finding the 14 diamonds you should gather enough to make a thermal, Planter, Harvester, Steam Dynamo powering the Furnace, Planter and Harvester to make power for your IC2 Gen.

kittle

Jul 29, 2019
my usual progression:
Vanilla startup: punch tree, crafting table, wood pick, find a hillside, dig in. Make a chest, furnace, torches.
find food: plant seeds, or kill off the local wildlife.

Then I go mining for iron ore. The goal is to get 36 iron ores.
While mining collect 12 each: sand, clay and gravel (for grout).
Once I have the iron ores, I smelt all that and make 4 iron blocks. Use the grout to make 3 seared bricks which gives me a TiC tool forge. With the tool forge, make a stone hammer and stone lumber axe.
use the stone hammer to mine for resources to make TE machines
use the lumber axe to chop trees for wood and charcoal to power the TE machines
eventually get the 12 diamonds needed to make a quarry, and then 2 more for a diamond pipe.
setup quarry to gather ores. void dirt, cobbel and anything else I dont want right now.
Manually transfer charcoal and ores between quarry and my base.
Decide what to do for permanent power
(optional) find a spot for a better base.
Build an AE system.. and then look into whatever strikes my fancy.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
TE has the most convenient machines to start ore doubling. You can successfully power a 1HP steam boiler off of two coke ovens producing creosote. Whether you use the coke for steel or another boiler is up to you. That will give you enough power to run 1 industrial steam engine, which is 8 MJ/t. From there things just kinda roll forward.

If you are keen on being efficient, TiCo ASAP and a quick trip to the nether (after alumenium pick) will provide you with powerful tools early game. If you are lucky and come across a dungeon, pick up the mossy cobblestone for autorepair.

(1) Find a ravine or a good network of caves.
(2) Food.
(3) Acquire ores while you let your creosote, etc. accumulate.
(4) ????
(5) Profit

Gimply Goose

Jul 29, 2019
Well if you are really keen on challenging yourself in your new world you could impose limits on yourself. There was a thread about this floating around somewhere iirc. A, rather simple, example of this would be no eating meat to fill your hunger. Limits such as these can really improve your playing expended l experience as you have to be creative to find ways to work around your limits.