Best way to make large amounts of TC Alumite?

General_Metrac

Jul 29, 2019
Hey guys, my question is that in one of my newest builds, i need a large amount of alumite to make it work and i know the ratio is 5:2:2 but what is the best way to meet the ratio, also my smeltery is a 3 high design so how much can i make in that specific design, basically how much can i put in and which types of ore (blocks, ingots, ore, etc) can i put in to have NO extra ingrediants and get a large amount for the build that i want to do (talking around a few thousand ingots XD) i tried to calculate the best possible mix but i am just utterly helpless with math, and also didnt know what exactly to make my aluminium which is currently in ore form into for the best result, any ideas would help guys :D thanks

General_Metrac

Jul 29, 2019
that gave me 15 extra ingots of aluminum and 9 ingots of alumite :( were you talking aluminium ore or RAW alumium? as all my aluminum stays in ore form[DOUBLEPOST=1392712759][/DOUBLEPOST]however changing the iron to 12 and obsidian to 6, it comes out even

MacAisling

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2013
Kearneysville, West Virginia
TE fluiduct w/servo installed, whitelist alumite (put empty bucket in casting table & fill w/alumite, use bucket of alumite to set the filter on the fluiduct) & automate the heck out of it. From what I've seen, there may not be a limit to the amount of liquid the smeltery will hold, only the # of items it can smelt at once. The smeltery will double ores (but not obsidian), so if you are mixing ores & ingots you will have to adjust for that. The smeltery may not be able to melt blocks (it was taking a really long time when I tried). I'd set up a chest to hopper to smeltery controller to feed ores in. Fill the chest with the right mix & check on it every once in a while (I'd put the obsidian & iron in the chest 1st so it can start pulling alumite as soon as it starts on the aluminum).

Reactions: casilleroatr

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
that gave me 15 extra ingots of aluminum and 9 ingots of alumite :( were you talking aluminium ore or RAW alumium? as all my aluminum stays in ore form[DOUBLEPOST=1392712759][/DOUBLEPOST]however changing the iron to 12 and obsidian to 6, it comes out even
He said ORE, so yes, Ore form for everything you put in. It's just simple math if you want to scale it up anyway. 5 aluminum to 2 iron and 2 obsidian. That's 9 blocks total. With a max size of apparently 27 items in that smeltery that's 15 aluminum ITEMS(which is a mild waste of the smeltery's lava if you haven't doubled them), 4 iron bars, and 4 blocks of obsidian.
If you wish to smelt them from ore to ingot and get alumite all in one go, you have to reduce the total ores you put in, cut each ore item in half(since they output 2 ingots). Thus that's 2.5 aluminum, 1 iron ore, and 2 obsidian blocks. This scales up to your max in that smeltery at 10 aluminum ore, 5 iron ore, and 10 obsidian blocks, if you want nothing but alumite out.

You know the ratio, so why is this hard?

KhrFreak

Jul 29, 2019
I second the idea of using fluiducts and setting the filter to fluid alumite, then use can just pump in the materials and it'll only pull out alumite, It's faster then anything else i've seen

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
He said ORE, so yes, Ore form for everything you put in. It's just simple math if you want to scale it up anyway. 5 aluminum to 2 iron and 2 obsidian. That's 9 blocks total. With a max size of apparently 27 items in that smeltery that's 15 aluminum ITEMS(which is a mild waste of the smeltery's lava if you haven't doubled them), 4 iron bars, and 4 blocks of obsidian.
If you wish to smelt them from ore to ingot and get alumite all in one go, you have to reduce the total ores you put in, cut each ore item in half(since they output 2 ingots). Thus that's 2.5 aluminum, 1 iron ore, and 2 obsidian blocks. This scales up to your max in that smeltery at 10 aluminum ore, 5 iron ore, and 10 obsidian blocks, if you want nothing but alumite out.

You know the ratio, so why is this hard?
Apparently harder than you thought. You got the obsidian doubled, so the correct ratio is 15 aluminum ore, 6 iron ore, 6 obsidian.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Did it in MF2 this morning.
So you add one obsidian and get out two blocks of it? Obsidian isn't an ore, it's block only. Give me a sec for Minecraft to finish loading...

Just checked, a Block of Obsidian gets you 288 mB in a Smeltery, and you need 288 mB to make Alumite. But the molten version of Obsidian, when output from your smeltery as a block, costs 288 mB. So you don't double your Obsidian, but the ratio isn't 5:2:2, it's more of a 3:2:1 for Alumite working from ore form for iron and aluminum.

Last edited:
Reactions: kaovalin

snooder

Jul 29, 2019
So you add one obsidian and get out two blocks of it? Obsidian isn't an ore, it's block only. Give me a sec for Minecraft to finish loading...

Just checked, a Block of Obsidian gets you 288 mB in a Smeltery, and you need 288 mB to make Alumite. But the molten version of Obsidian, when output from your smeltery as a block, costs 288 mB. So you don't double your Obsidian, but the ratio isn't 5:2:2, it's more of a 3:2:1 for Alumite working from ore form for iron and aluminum.

That explains a few things...

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019

Obsidian has obsidian ingots. Think of it as the ore form for the obsidian ingots.

Reactions: KhrFreak

Algester

Jul 29, 2019
Tinker's Construct had Obsidian Ingots to begin with although its not oredicted similar to mekanism as its made just by putting obsidian into the smeltery and then use an ingot cast you get 2 ingots per obsidian you can use it if your using the hard mode smeltery

large amounts of alumite would mean you have a steady supply of 3 things obsidian, Iron (iron ore berry or Magical Crops iron essence) and aluminum (ore berry and magical crops if it already has it)

Brilliance

Jul 29, 2019
Once you accept the absurd premise that molten obsidian /= lava. :boggle:

Strictly speaking, lava and magma are more defined by their natural occurrence than their composition. Glass blowers, for example, don't generally think of their material as 'lava' despite naturally occuring molten silicates being just that.
</derail>