Problem Best way to get mob essence on DW20 1.12.2?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

ThatGuyAce

Aug 28, 2019
I know the main suggestions will typically be to use cursed earth but something I've realised is after a while on the server I play on, it stops spawning as frequently so it's never really that reliable. Is there any other good ways to get mob essence?

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Peoples grinders are probably close enough together that they are 'stealing' spawns from each other. Either that or you've got a lot of 'honeypot' tunnels/caves nearby stealing spawns from your grinder. Explore and either light up or fill in all caves in a (minimum) 32 block radius from your base. I'd probably go with 64 for good measure. Technically they can spawn out to 128, but after 64, they don't really move around and tend to despawn naturally in fairly short order.

Of course, that means also making sure it is at least 64 blocks away from the nearest other player's mob grinder as well...

Furthermore, there's a hard cap on how many mobs can be spawned in at any given time, so if there's more than a couple of players, you may be hitting that hard cap.