Best way to fill a barrel wall?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Schadrach

Jul 29, 2019
I'ev got a barrel storage room, and apparently item routers with thoroughness just don't work when it comes to loading the barrels rather than spreading them out semi-randomly? What's the best way to do this?

Captain Neckbeard

Jul 29, 2019
Overflow chest, replace random Cobblestone everywhere with one of what you want in that Barrel. It just takes a little love to get it going proper.

nthdominion

Jul 29, 2019
I use pneumatic, just put a single item in the barrel first to control how it is used. I usually set up a "market" of a type, barrel, pnu, barrel pnu (as the only load from the top). I block them out by content (food, bricks, ores, etc)...
Cheaper as it is difficult to get things out of barrels....I just do not waste my time any other way until I work up to managers to replace the system.

Reactions: Quesenek

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
Routers are also a great way to fill walls of barrels.

It also gives you more barrels to place, as you don't need to alternate pipe (or tubes) and barrels.

But they can make it a little hard for you if you don't set them up properly.

Schadrach

Jul 29, 2019
Routers are also a great way to fill walls of barrels.

It also gives you more barrels to place, as you don't need to alternate pipe (or tubes) and barrels.

But they can make it a little hard for you if you don't set them up properly.

Is there some trick for setting them up properly, or do you just have to have exactly the number of barrels for the stuff you are currently storing and pre stock each with its item to keep it from spreading things across all barrels? AFAICT if you have any empty barrels, it will throw the first thing it can in one, even if you're using thoroughness.

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
By default, routers will try to balance, be it chests, barrels, or anything else among those lines.

I usually just put 1 stick in all the barrels that are empty, because sticks are not something you should find too much while mining.

The major down part of the routers is that, without the upgrade, you can't safely have an overflow/misc chest.
And before you ask, no, I don't remember what s the module to prevent it from trying to put the same amount everywhere.

So that means that you might have to filter the items that go in the router before hand.
Might not exactly be what you where looking for.

I would suggest trying out the router and its upgrades in a test world (spawn yourself what you need in there), because this thing can really be a massive help in other automations too, not just sorting into barrels.

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
I use pneumatic, just put a single item in the barrel first to control how it is used. I usually set up a "market" of a type, barrel, pnu, barrel pnu (as the only load from the top). I block them out by content (food, bricks, ores, etc)...
Cheaper as it is difficult to get things out of barrels....I just do not waste my time any other way until I work up to managers to replace the system.
Pretty much this. tubes and a filter are cheap early on and easy to setup/understand.

un worry

Jul 29, 2019
I started by creating individual barrel walls, 4 high x 10 wide, connected to my redpower/pneumo system as follows:

Above each 4x10 wall, the pneumo main line branches to a sorting machine (with 40 slots, acting like a big filter ;) -> Relay -> Tube -> Router. Place one of each item in both the sorter and corresponding barrel. In peak load, if the Router cant keep up, items may bounce around occasionally between the Relay and Router. No problems with backlog or jamming. Works like a dream. (This is how Eloraam set up her main storage areas on her home server)