Best up to date Java arguments?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
It's a wild wild web out there, and in particular when it comes to modded minecraft, you may have noticed there's an awful of of outdated and bad info out there. This is to be expected as the game and mod(pack)s continue to evolve so quickly.

But, I can't find a real good, solid up--to-date source for Java arguments. And to be more specific, I'm referring to 64-bit java, and large 1.10.2 + based modpacks with HD textures.

And I don't mean memory allocation, either. I'm looking for the smoothest garbage collection arguments I can find both for client and server. I currently have a big jumbled mess that I've been using for a while now, and it works, but I honestly have no idea what each one does. I don't remember exactly where I got them from, either. And when I went to google some alternatives, I would just get crashes.

What would you all recommend?

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
That's perfect. Really well written. I learned a bunch. I will definitely try these, editing the RAM only.

Quick follow-up question: At the end of that post, it mentions that these arguments are for vanilla launcher because other launchers force arguments that will mess with these. I was already going to move it of the curse launcher, but should I skip MultiMC, too? I think I remember you saying you use MMC?

I'm sure I could figure out how to match a batch file to run it straight off the vanilla launcher if it's worth it, though.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, I've moved mostly over to MultiMC, as it does not add it's own junk to Java Arguments. I'm not 100% happy with the incompatibility between Curse/Twitch download location and where MultiMC looks for mods/packs, but I'm sure that ends up being more user error than anything. If I get frustrated, I'll fix it to work automagically, but for now I just copy the pack into the folder MultiMC creates and call it a day.

Elsys656

Jul 29, 2019
I'm using those arguments and it's working with the FTB launcher on my end it's quite a bit better than out of the box args.