Best TiCon Tools?

belgabor

Jul 29, 2019
I could have sworn that only one of each additional modifier counted unless the entire tool was the same? IE only one modifier from paper, unless the entire thing was paper. Unless that's changed.
Yes and no. Paper is special. It can give two modifiers if paper is part of the head and somewhere else (on 2nd tier tools) or if the head is paper (1st tier tools).

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019
I could have sworn that only one of each additional modifier counted unless the entire tool was the same? IE only one modifier from paper, unless the entire thing was paper. Unless that's changed.

I usually get lucky enough to find Thaumium in a chest somewhere. On the other hand, it's no good without the Smeltery.
Nope. There's a difference between modifiers and material traits, and i'm not sure which one you're talking about so i'll go over both.

Material traits don't require the entirety of the tool to be made from that material. It only requires one piece of the tool to be made from the material. So, i could make an pick with an Ardite head and obsidian binding with a wood rod and it would have Stonebound II and Reinforced III.

IIRC, All tools start with 3 modifiers if there is no material adding one. Paper gives one per part. Thaumium is strange; It gives an extra modifier if the tool contains 1 or 2 thaumium parts, but gives 2 modifiers if 3 or more parts are made of thaumium.

Also, Thaumium doesn't require a smeltery to use.

squeek502

Jul 29, 2019
Material traits don't require the entirety of the tool to be made from that material. It only requires one piece of the tool to be made from the material. So, i could make an pick with an Ardite head and obsidian binding with a wood rod and it would have Stonebound II and Reinforced III.
Again, that's not how Stonebound works. It does not behave like Reinforced. A single ardite part in a tool made of 4 parts will give the resulting tool a stonebound modifier of 0.5 (out of a possible 2.0 which would only come from a full ardite tool), as the final modifier is an average of the stonebound modifiers of each part. The tooltips for Stonebound and Jagged are misleading at best, as it's totally possible to make a tool that shows both the Stonebound and Jagged modifiers without either of them actually having any affect.

Read this post:
Note that Stonebound is not a binary modifier; it is an average. Quoting something I posted on reddit:
Jagged and stonebound have hidden multipliers that get averaged between all parts of a tool when it is built (stonebound has a positive multiplier, jagged has a negative), so it's not accurate to say stonebound 'stacks.' Also, both jagged and stonebound work the exact same way. Ardite has a stonebound multiplier of 2.0, though, so it has a higher possible bonus (the other stonebound multipliers are 1.0 and cactus has a jagged multiplier of -1.0).

What this all boils down to is that the more stonebound/jagged pieces of a tool there are, the higher the multiplier will be of the final tool. But, if you only have one piece with stonebound in a tool made of 4 pieces, you're only going to get a quarter of that multiplier. The only way to get the 'full' bonus is to have all the pieces of the tool be the same material (whichever material has the highest multipliers; in this case, Ardite and Cactus).

I'm planning to make things like this more transparent in my TiC Tooltips mod.

EDIT: Weird side note, if you make a cleaver using two cactus pieces and two non-ardite stonebound pieces, you'll end up with something that has both the 'Jagged' and 'Stonebound' abilities but neither will actually do anything (the multiplier will have averaged to 0.0).

Last edited:

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019
Again, that's not how Stonebound works. It does not behave like Reinforced. A single ardite part in a tool made of 4 parts will give the resulting tool a stonebound modifier of 0.5 (out of a possible 2.0 which would only come from a full ardite tool), as the final modifier is an average of the stonebound modifiers of each part. The tooltips for Stonebound and Jagged are misleading at best, as it's totally possible to make a tool that shows both the Stonebound and Jagged modifiers without either of them actually having any affect.

Read this post:
Yes, i understand the averaging thing, but that wasn't what i was really talking about anyway. A single ardite part, and tooltips and the tool station will both say "Stonebound II." What i was getting at is that you don't need to make an entire tool out of a material to get the material trait. It's basically me saying that you can get multiple traits on a single tool and me providing the only example i could think of at the time.

squeek502

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, i understand the averaging thing, but that wasn't what i was really talking about anyway. A single ardite part, and tooltips and the tool station will both say "Stonebound II." What i was getting at is that you don't need to make an entire tool out of a material to get the material trait. It's basically me saying that you can get multiple traits on a single tool and me providing the only example i could think of at the time.
Yes, but the "Stonebound II" trait, in reality, doesn't mean anything except that it has at least one ardite part. You do need to make the entire tool out of ardite to get the full effect of the "Stonebound II" trait, so it's not really an example of what you were talking about.

Your point only applies to Reinforced and many of the traits that ExtraTiC adds to Metallurgy metals. With default TiC, the statement "you can get multiple traits on a single tool" is not quite true and needs some qualifications (that you can only get partial Stonebound + Reinforced on the same tool, but never full Stonebound + Reinforced).