Best RTS games discussion

Rhinehart_

Jul 29, 2019
I was just wondering what other people thought, i know the first thing that will come to mind woulod be games like starcraft or battle for middle earth, which is fine, its just not original,

in my opinion this is the best,

http://www.arcadebomb.com/play/capture_the_castle.html

just a simple in-browser game, only has 12 levels, ive beaten all the levels but ironically i spent 3 hours on the 4th one, and i havent beaten it since, you move soldiers around different upgradible bases, the object is to capture all of them, but the entire thing is in real time, if you pause you cant even see most of the screen,

i personally wish there were more games like this one,

Meldiron

Jul 29, 2019
Total Annihilation and its predecessor Supreme Commander 1 (not 2! ever!) would be my favourite.
Mostly because at that time the porpotions of the maps and unit counts were insane.
At max size you'r looking at maps that would take HOURS to cross with boat.
Planes sure used their sweet time too.

Reactions: Odenite

Rhinehart_

Jul 29, 2019
haha yeah i thought these would be the games people thought of, they all kinda stemmed from starcraft but they're still cool i guess, its just a little overbearing when you have to learn how to use 80 different units and how they interact with eachother, seems to make it more about who has more rather than who hits where.

Dowly

Jul 29, 2019
they all kinda stemmed from starcraft but they're still cool i guess

Starcraft came after C&C and Total Annihilation. ;)

I think I'm going to have to go with Dune 2, it was my first RTS I remember playing for hours and hours.

Odenite

Jul 29, 2019
I'm going to have to say C&C Generals and the x-pac. It made it possible to generate your own funds INSIDE your base and could lead to some epic matches.

Mero

Jul 29, 2019
AoE:AoK would probably be my favorite.

I do really enjoy the Warhammer and WH40k ones also but I played Age of Kings much more.

Kronossan

Jul 29, 2019
One of the few historical RTS games that punish zerging at any point in a match (and this is probably why it never became as popular as it deserved to be imo): Rise of Nations and its expansion pack Thrones and Patriots.

LordNobady

Jul 29, 2019
the one i like most is settlers 2 ( or the 10th anniversary edition )
and one i seem to be missing that i enjoyed is warcraft2.

Lonewolf187

Jul 29, 2019
Another vote for Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance. How ever my first RTS was Dark Reign and its expansion Rise of the Shadowhand..Ah the memories.

Narcisism

Jul 29, 2019
I'm going to necro this to add Sins of a Solar Empire (and its x-pacs) and just about anything in the Paradox RTS games series. ESPECIALLY Victoria II and its x-pacs.

Juanitierno

Jul 29, 2019
Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance. Fullstop.
Best strategy game I ever played, the streaming economy is awesome.

Absolutely, i still play it regularly. I have NO IDEA how they managed to screw up SupCom2 sooooo badly.

My first one was DuneII... oh the hours spent on the spicy dunes....